• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    When loading for normal plinking i am going to a tad less than max load to prevent loading hot rounds and doing damage to my gun or my self. My question now is, I am considering shooting IDPA and have heard that lightening the load to reduce recoil can improve staying on target, Note not saying accuracy :D but how much can I reduce the load with out running into not creating enough back pressue to prevent a FTE??? I am sure this is trial and error to find out what is a good load to use, but would like maybe a baseline to start. I am using W231 and either 9mm 124grn plated or .45ACP plated. Thanks for any info and if I am out of the ball park all together, please let me kno....

Thanks

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    When loading for normal plinking i am going to a tad less than max load to prevent loading hot rounds and doing damage to my gun or my self. My question now is, I am considering shooting IDPA and have heard that lightening the load to reduce recoil can improve staying on target, Note not saying accuracy :D but how much can I reduce the load with out running into not creating enough back pressue to prevent a FTE??? I am sure this is trial and error to find out what is a good load to use, but would like maybe a baseline to start. I am using W231 and either 9mm 124grn plated or .45ACP plated. Thanks for any info and if I am out of the ball park all together, please let me kno....

Thanks

What pistol are you using???
    What weight bullet are you using in .45 acp??????

I can tell you that I use W-231 and a 200 gr hardcast LSWC boolit in .45 acp.
    The load is right at 907 fps, and is incredibly accurate out of several pistols.
    This ain't no powder-puff load, but then again, it ain't no barn-burner, either!!!!
    (FWIW, I don't load anything at/near maximum. It's just not needed.)

My Gold Cup has an 18.5 lb recoil spring in it and the function is great.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Do your homework! Research your bullets and the data for the mfr of that bullet and start a string of loads from min up to about 75% of max, shoot em and see what your gun likes the best. Practice with the ammo will tell you. Not all guns are alike and when I load for a particular rifle or pistol, I find out what it likes by load testing and shooting!

If you are shooting competition, you want the most accurate load you can get in the range of performance that you are looking for. My pet loads may not give you the same performance (nor would I assume they would work as well in any other firearm other than the one I tested them with).

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    i knew i could rely on solid info, thanks the.45 is an XD45 tactical 5" and 9mm right now i am using a glock 26 but really want to go to a compact or a full size.

230 grn .45
    124 grn 9mm

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Thanks

That first sentences was addressed by byf43 and his response: (FWIW, I don't load anything at/near maximum. It's just not needed.) My response: In your reading, (your required reading :) ), you came across the warnings to never assume that the suggested loads are right for you and your gun. You decide on a load you are aiming for and you work up to it. The common start is 10% below what is suggested.

If you haven't read that during your basic learning, then you missed something. You may have missed how to determine if there is too much pressure in a load by inspecting a spent case. Do you remember about under loaded cases causing over-pressure, too? Go back and re-read...your family will thank you.

I started 10% below this load that was suggested to me for my 9mm load, 4.5in barrel, for IDPA - 4grs. of 321 under a 147gr FMJ at 1.140 OAL. That was NOT what worked best for me. What I ended up with gives me appox. 130 PF.

Be safe -- See you on the range.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeap, IDPA and USPSA both have power factor limits.

You need to shoot a round that has a given power factor, that depends on class and category (for some).

Power Factor = Velocity (FPS) x Bullet Weight (grains) / 1000

So a 200 gr .45 ACP bullet at 825 fps = 165 Power Factor. 200 gr bullet at 625 fps = 125.

USPSA is a minimum of 165 for Major, 125 minimum.

IDPA is minimum for 125 for all except Custom Defensive Pistol and Enhanced Service Revolver which both require 165.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor_(pistol)

If you are shooting a 1911, you can get a wide variety of recoil springs to tune the gun to just about any load.

From Wolff Springs (http://www.gunsprings.com/home):

CONVENTIONAL RECOIL SPRINGS - .45 ACP
    Reduced Power...: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Lb.
    Factory Standard.: 16 Lb.
    Extra Power........: 17, 18.5, 20, 22, 23, 24, 26, & 28 Lb

With a 7 pound spring, you can get the gun to cycle reliably with VERY light loads.

http://www.gun-tests.com/pdfs/1-1-Load.pdf

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330989

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks Guys, a lot of good info. I will do some re reading, I admit when reading the first time I saw mentions of it but most of the time thought about making sure i didn't Over load or make my rounds Hot, I have yet to load at a max load for simple facts I don't have to or need to. But I will for sure go back and look at under loading and pay a little more attention to it. This is why I am doing my homework before i start just trying to guess. Survived many years being partly lucky and the other part being really luckyand with a little research and safety I am planning on living a lot longer. Thanks again for all of the info. I am glad I asked. I will probably shoot with factory ammo starting out and as i learn more about reloading and the rules and regs dialing in from there.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Yeap, IDPA and USPSA both have power factor limits.

You need to shoot a round that has a given power factor, that depends on class and category (for some).

Power Factor = Velocity (FPS) x Bullet Weight (grains) / 1000
    So a 200 gr .45 ACP bullet at 825 fps = 165 Power Factor. 200 gr bullet at 625 fps = 125.

USPSA is a minimum of 165 for Major, 125 Minor.

IDPA is minimum for 125 for all except Custom Defensive Pistol and Enhanced Service Revolver which both require 165.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor_(pistol)

It's been several years since I shot USPSA/IPSC.
    Back then, if memory serves me, the power factor was 180 minimum for Major.

The load that I used was: (Bullet weight) 200 x (Velocity) 907 fps = 181,400 ÷ 1,000 = 181.4 (Power Factor).

Nice shooting, ACCURATE load!!!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the above sanctioned competions follow the min/ max power factors.

In general , test in your gun. Even for identical power factors ( aka wt x vel ) different powders will have different pressure curves, and behave differently as to cycling in different guns , held in different hands.

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    LOL I am gathering in all of this Scientific data translation and Mathmatical formulas that it will all fall down to a educated S.W.A.G. ;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It's been several years since I shot USPSA/IPSC.
    Back then, if memory serves me, the power factor was 180 minimum for Major.

The load that I used was: (Bullet weight) 200 x (Velocity) 907 fps = 181,400 ÷ 1,000 = 181.4 (Power Factor).

Nice shooting, ACCURATE load!!!

I was higher.

And I just loaded a good bit of .45 using my old recipe, which is an old school IPSC Major load. I need to load to the new rules. :)

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    So to add to the question, I have a good amount of 230gr Boolits, is there a big difference in the 230gr and 200gr?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom