• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -I'm not a stranger to or shy of risk when it comes to collecting. But never totally reckless. I need to see a glimmer of reward before I'll toss the dice. The latest bit of fun came on the cheap and totally paid off. It came in the form of a 6 holster lot up on Evil Pay with the title "Luger Holsters, Vintage and New". At first glance I almost walked away. In the first three holsters there was an obvious Luger repop, a badly damaged holster of unknown pedigree and a well worn American commercial holster. So far not fantastic, though the commercial holster was of some interest.
    -But the last three holsters were much more interesting. There was an L08 Artillery Luger holster without marks and a P08 police holster, again without marks and looking very much unused. But the item that had me focused was a shortened L08 holster. I knew that Arty holsters were shortened during the Weimar Republic years to accommodate P08s. Not so hard to understand during those years of financial struggle for Germany. That holster I was 100 percent certain was genuine and made the lot worthy of bookmarking.
    -When the lot closed I was high bidder at a whopping $47, just under $70 delivered. I had the lot shipped to my work office, taking zero chances on porch pirates. Opened the box and went straight to the shortened L08 and my heart raced upon finding a Kriegsmarine mark inside. Yes! The perfect holster for my Weimar period Reichsmarine Luger.
    -The other L08 holster had a broken pull strap but was otherwise intact and in good condition. I believe it to be a commercial contract holster, very much like a Persian Luger version. Wish Jerry Burney was still restoring holsters, this one is worthy of the cost of getting the pull strap replaced.
    -The police holster is a mystery that I'm hard at work trying to ID. Pretty certain it's post war, definitely original as the materials and construction are too good for a repop. Besides, who makes a repop of an unmarked Police holster? First thought was DDR/VOPO but all the known examples I was able to find online are marked differently. So the search continues.
    -The American commercial holster had a neat impression of a Luger inside. Someone carried a Luger in this holster for a very long time. The leather is supple and it's in good condition. There's a model number stamped on the belt loop but I haven't been able to ID the manuf. as of yet.
    -Sadly the badly damaged unknown holster got tossed, there was nothing of value whatsoever. And the repop P08 holster will go to the auction pile.

Attachments

• IMGP0094.JPG
      IMGP0094.JPG
      195.3 KB · Views: 51
    • IMGP0095.JPG
      IMGP0095.JPG
      176.8 KB · Views: 46
    • IMGP0096.JPG
      IMGP0096.JPG
      268.8 KB · Views: 49
    • IMGP0097.JPG
      IMGP0097.JPG
      351.8 KB · Views: 44
    • IMGP0098.JPG
      IMGP0098.JPG
      154.3 KB · Views: 50
    • IMGP0099.JPG
      IMGP0099.JPG
      368.8 KB · Views: 47
    • IMGP0100.JPG
      IMGP0100.JPG
      235.7 KB · Views: 46
    • IMGP0101.JPG
      IMGP0101.JPG
      275.5 KB · Views: 46
    • s-l1600.jpg
      s-l1600.jpg
      352.8 KB · Views: 47
    Last edited:

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Congratulations-- always nice to read where efforts and knowledge (mix with a little luck) to pay off MDS members.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    You are possessed of a fine madness, sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom