• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Urban myth born in early movies.

Tell that to my uncle, he still has the scars on his backside and lower back. He got into a Pumpkin patch in St. Mary's county back in the mid 50's. The farmer was quick to shoot and from the stories I have heard all my life gave no warning.

Karl/PA

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Chambersburg
    Salt loads are pointless nowadays, and arguably have always been pointless, 9 out of 10 stories where someone knows someone who knows someone else who got a load of salt in the ass from a pissed off farmer is and has always been BS. The salt will just scratch, but won't penetrate skin past a few yards, just doesn't have the mass, that is in addition to the issues with coating the barrel in salt. Many of the rock salt misadventure stories at 50yards or further if true at all were probably small #8ish bird shot. It's pointless because if you are justified in shooting someone, you want a load that will stop them quick, buck or slugs, if you don't need to stop them quick then you shouldn't be shooting at them.

Legally, the farmer just shot someone, with all the associated charges that could be applicable, assault with a deadly weapon, attempted manslaughter, etc.. unless there was sufficient justification for force(pretty much deadly force) to defend aggainst a crime(most states do not justify deadly force for trespassing or minor property crimes), an angry old farmer shooting kids with rock salt stands a damn fine chance ending up in prison. Even if there is sufficient justification for deadly force, and the "imminent and deadly threat" standard is applicable there is a big issue with using LTL defense when lethal defense is available, the "warning shot paradox" as it was taught to me. If you fire a warning shot, or in this case,a load of rock salt, it goes to prove that you were not in fear for your life, and were therefore not justified in using deadly force, and could possibly be guilty of assault with a deadly weapon in addition to whatever "using firearm in commision of a crime" laws are on the books, however if lethal ammo is used with the intent of using all at the person's disposal to stop a threat, it goes to show the desperation and validity of the self defense.

Where do you gert your information? You obviously weren't around in the 40s or 50s. Those were different times. I was shot with salt in 1953 (not that I didn't deserve it) and believe me I didn't go back there again. My cousin and I were in the woods with our BB guns when we came across a large hog sty. No better fun (we thought) than shooting a boar hog in the testicles. After about the second one this old guy came around the corner of the shed with a double barrel and let us have it. It stung like hell. None of mine penetrated the skin but a couple did on my cousin's neck.

In a case like this, back then, the farmer would never get charged even if some would call the police. The kids could expect one hell of a strapping if their parents ever found out.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Where do you gert your information? You obviously weren't around in the 40s or 50s. Those were different times. I was shot with salt in 1953 (not that I didn't deserve it) and believe me I didn't go back there again. My cousin and I were in the woods with our BB guns when we came across a large hog sty. No better fun (we thought) than shooting a boar hog in the testicles. After about the second one this old guy came around the corner of the shed with a double barrel and let us have it. It stung like hell. None of mine penetrated the skin but a couple did on my cousin's neck.

In a case like this, back then, the farmer would never get charged even if some would call the police. The kids could expect one hell of a strapping if their parents ever found out.

That is the problem with parents today. They all think their kids don't do anything wrong. When I was young my parents always assumed I was doing something wrong...and they were right.

Like I previously posted, no one could ever name a victim of such shooting. I think the fear of being shot with rock salt was enough to keep the neighborhood kids away from his farm.

I have a friend that I grew up with that has the nickname "Shotgun". Not because he has a preference for them but because he was shot at and hit on his left side , buttocks, and leg with a load of salt fired from a twelve gauge that my uncle was shooting at US because we were stealing his watermelons. My mother picked the rock salt from him with tweezers at 2 in the morning, whipped his unwounded other cheek, then my full ass.

TRUE STORY, this happened in July, 1958.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

I'm not sure where this guy gets any of his information to be honest with you.

turtle255

Jun 18, 2012
    Pasadena Md
    I believe ya. I grew up in 50's. In 59 me a buddy snuck his youth 22 out of the house and went down to the railroad tracks to shoot..Rail road cop chashed us up a bank and I got shot in the calf with a 22 short. I limped home and we got the bullet out and was cleaning up the wound when my mother caught us, she said I was going to the doctor so I wouldn't get "lead poision" LOL The old doc up the street from us asked how it happened . My mother said it was a 22 rifle wound he dug around a little and said we got it all out,cleaned it and said that will be 15 bucks (I think). My mother went home and picked up that big black dial phone and called my buddies mother..you know the rest ass whoppin for him LOL. It was different world back then. Ron

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Sounds like from the anecdotal evidence, they are good for nothing, particularly in the state of Maryland. Looking at this from a modern perspective:

You used a firearm in what you hope was a non-lethal manner. This means the firearm usage was unwarranted. If the threat (apparently watermelon stealing was a big deal in the 50's, I'm guessing the modern equivalent is flash mobbing 7-11 for watermelon drank?) was non-lethal, you should have used a deterrent that was guaranteed non-lethal. Like a stern lecture or pitiful whine.

In fact, what you did was worse than merely trying to frighten a poor child. Since the use of these loads results in pain and possible scarring, what you have done is some form of willful bodily harm. And since we have determined that a gun was unnecessary, we can further determine that your action was a crime and you are now going to jail.

Similarly, why would you, back then or today, attempt to thwart some activity with rocksalt from a gun? 'Back in the good old days' you could identify the evil little child, since we all lived in Leave it to Beaver land. Then you can go over to his house and you and his pa can take turns beating his little ass while mom makes you martinis. In today's climate, you better 'come correct'. Basically, if you are going to do something to a little snot, you better do it in such a way that neither he nor his friends nor his family will come after you. And that means you show up loaded with big boy rounds to do big boy damage. If not, they'll escalate, and it'll be your murder they read about in the paper, not your stolen melons.

TL;dr: it was a dumb idea then and it's a dumberer idea today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom