Robbery thwarted by armed MARYLAND person.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Pursuit Discussion: Just because the owner is armed, is he not allowed to pursue to try to see what direction the thieves went? or what make,model, color vehicle they fled in? That would help law enforcement and aid recovery.
    Now if in the pursuit, the perps turned and advanced, the pursuer would be required, outside his store, to retreat rather than use deadly force.
    If the perps turned, the pursuer began to retreat, never having fired a shot, and then the perps start to fire at him (I know in this case they only had a hammer, but this is a what is question), Is he allowed to return fire? ie- did his initial pursuit forever negate his "in mortal fear defense", or does the escalation of the perps by firing change the situation. ie- when he followed them out of the store, he was not in mortal fear, but when they turned, he became in mortal fear? Or did the act of his following while armed put the perps in mortal fear and allow them to fire?

What does anyone think?

Pursuit by itself is as far as I know not unlawful. But it makes problems when you claim mortal fear , fire,miss and then pursue.

My advice don't.. Especially if suspect is armed.. its a good way to walk i to an ambush out side now that his friends have arrived...

Or you could run,gun in hand, into a responding officer operating under the assumption of a "shots fired" call... or even "officer neededs assistance" and " shots fired.. I do not want to be there.

Now the guy is on video. Good Chance he has a record... it a risks reward situation ... to much risk very little reward....

Legal issues are only one factor....

Ianal.

FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    Great discussion guys...I'll keep following...all my positions and opinions have already been expressed by others. I think the same questions you've all raised and addressed come up in every Concealed Carry or home defense discussion I have with firearm owners, 'average citizens' and the anti-gun crowd. I tell 'em I don't pretend to be an attorney or LEO...which is where they should go for the definitive answers/advice...and they need to know that there are very few black/white answers....every situation is unique. Me...I'm certain that if I discharge one of my firearms in someone's direction I better plan to lose the firearm for the foreseeable future, be prepared to provide a 'reasonable' (to a jury of 'average citizens') explanation for the discharge, and plan to spend some time in a court room. I won't hesitate to protect myself and my family if cornered, but I have homeowner's insurance for the flat screen TV downstairs... I don't recommend coming up the stairs though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom