• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    My current leaning is towards the weaver because it has japanese glass, an a smaller objective (vs the 40mm of the nikon) which I hope will work in my favor in mounting it. If I'm wrong on any of that, please correct me. That's what I'm here for!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have a Nikon Prostaff rimfire and a Cabelas rimfire specific scope. Both are 3-9x variable. I much prefer the Cabelas scope. Better reticle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I like anything with Bushnell on it. Have had some of their Trophy scopes and have been very pleased...forget the name of the next step down scope though.

Lew--Ranger63

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Another vote for Nikon. Look through one side-by-side with a Simmons or Bushnell, and the difference is obvious.

I like the fixed-power, 4x32mm ProStaff rimfire scope. Unless you're infatuated with drilling one-hole paper groups at 50+ yards, this scope is all you need at rimfire ranges for game, and I can drive a nail at 25-35 yards with mine on my Henry.

TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    Another vote for Nikon. Look through one side-by-side with a Simmons or Bushnell, and the difference is obvious.

I like the fixed-power, 4x32mm ProStaff rimfire scope. Unless you're infatuated with drilling one-hole paper groups at 50+ yards, this scope is all you need at rimfire ranges for game, and I can drive a nail at 25-35 yards with mine on my Henry.
    I have that exact scope on my 10/22. I do like it and I understand the drawbacks of going variable power, but I do wish for a bit more magnifcation at the range when I'm plinking. In the field, 4x is usually plenty.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My current leaning is towards the weaver because it has japanese glass, an a smaller objective (vs the 40mm of the nikon) which I hope will work in my favor in mounting it. If I'm wrong on any of that, please correct me. That's what I'm here for!

You are correct. The reasons you stated are exactly why I would lean towards the Weaver were it my rifle. I'd probably waffle between the Weaver and spending another $30 on a Leupold Rifleman. On the bright side, the Weaver is 3oz lighter, which to me is a big plus.

TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    Thanks for the help Boom Boom. Any suggestions for rings? I'm guessing the bolt will clear medium height, but which brand?

TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    All, thanks for the help, suggestions, and advice. I went with the weaver. I'll post a pic once its all put together.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For field use or out to 50yds plinking, tasco 4x32mm pronghorn with weaver rings. Just got it for my mossberg 702 and it is really nice. Very very sharp in the center, acceptable but not great in the corners, CA isn't noticeable in the center and minor towards the edges (edge softness is noticeable, but again not terrible astigmatism). Nice and bright. I haven't had a chance to use it in direct sun much, so i can't speak to flare resistance, but it is multicoated. At least at 50yds I can pick out my hits on a color change target pretty easily. Plain paper would probably harder. Not a terrible see through bikini cover either, but it does rob at least a stop of light through the scope.

100yd range work would be hard with it, but probably not impossible. I haven't had a chance to shoot 100yd targets yet. Focusing on dialing it in, working squirrel and rabbit distances and seeing what feeds well in my 702 for now.

TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    Here it is! uploadfromtaptalk1456611649413.jpg

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    Nice looking rifle!

***This advice is worth what you paid for it***, but the scope looks a little too far back. But who knows, everyone is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom