• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    I am ok. But here is what happened

I was at the range shooting my brand new Remington 700 Bull barrel .223

I was only on the 25th round through this brand new gun when something happened.
    I felt a blast of air and particulate come exiting through the rear of the bolt and into my eye. Scared the crap out of me.

So what happened? What was i doing wrong?
    Im feel like my ammo selection has something to do with it. I have had the hardest time finding any .223 under 55 grains.
    I was at the gun show in Timonium and all i could find was ChinaSport .223REM
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361197711.368131.jpg

ok so here is what the bolt looks like now. The brass doesnt want to come out and im not wanting to pry it out until i get some advice.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361197884.669886.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361197892.252998.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361197902.544374.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361197911.916241.jpg

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    more likely over pressure.. the primer probably expanded and/or pushed out which will bind on the bolt. take it off with a plier (on the spent case that is). if its really tight.. use a mallet and hit it couple of times (the brass.. not the bolt).

and always wear eye protection (which seems you have one on at the time).

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Probably a pierced or blown primer. Be sure to check the bolt face and firing pin for damage from the hot gasses that escaped.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Agree with the above, I get a gas flow everytime I use steel cased 8mm, due to poor chamber seal. Most bolt guns have a relief hole.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I think china sports is norinco. I had no problem shooting some.

Tapatalk is crashing crap

justjcarr

Nov 19, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I swear I just saw a thread regarding a gift AR someone received wit ha bunch of ChinaSport ammo, someone told them to hold onto the ammo because it had collectors value, something about not being able to import it anymore?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'd tend to think that you could pretty easily get that casing out of the bolt. While you may not want to simply pull it out, the hardened steel of the bolt face is going to be MUCH stronger than the maleable brass of the casing.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yes. I'm not proud of the ammo selection.

I did have on eye protection and still felt the blast around the lens.

A lesson for all, can you imagine what could/would of happened if he WASN'T wearing eye protection???

Probably a pierced or blown primer. Be sure to check the bolt face and firing pin for damage from the hot gasses that escaped.

This ^^^.

OS, is the ammo factory loads or could it possibly be reloaded ammo by who the hell knows (Bubba)??? Check the case heads to make sure they all are the correct manufacturer's headstamp logo, if not all the same it's almost certain these are reloads. Also check the primer pockets for appropriate primer pocket crimp (I don't know if Norinco crimped the primer pockets or not). Norinco ammo hasn't been imported in this country since about '94 to '96 timeframe IIRC. My guess is that whoever you bought the ammo from was cleaning out their old stuff layin' around, possibly their own reloads that they didn't like, for the same reason you experienced.

When you remove the casing from the bolt, do it with care as to collect all the evidence. Post pics of the case head, rim (extraction groove where the extractor engaged it), primer pocket, and primer which may be separated from the case (don't be surprised if the primer has a hole in it).

After reviewing your OP, IIRC, the only bullet weight Norinco loaded was 55 grain in that caliber. If it is other than 55 grain, please post a pic of the box indicating the ammo being loaded with other than 55 grain projectiles.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Was the ammo 5.56 MM? DO NOT shoot 5.56MM in a .223 Remington chamber! 5.56mm is loaded to a much higher pressure. Been there, done that, have the gunsmith bill to prove it.

ALWAYS use glasses.

Good luck

Jerry

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Was the ammo 5.56 MM? DO NOT shoot 5.56MM in a .223 Remington chamber! 5.56mm is loaded to a much higher pressure. Been there, done that, have the gunsmith bill to prove it.

ALWAYS use glasses.

Good luck

Jerry

look at the ops picture of the ammo box.. it was for 223 rem. ;)

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    A lesson for all, can you imagine what could/would of happened if he WASN'T wearing eye protection???

This ^^^.

OS, is the ammo factory loads or could it possibly be reloaded ammo by who the hell knows (Bubba)??? Check the case heads to make sure they all are the correct manufacturer's headstamp logo, if not all the same it's almost certain these are reloads. Also check the primer pockets for appropriate primer pocket crimp (I don't know if Norinco crimped the primer pockets or not). Norinco ammo hasn't been imported in this country since about '94 to '96 timeframe IIRC. My guess is that whoever you bought the ammo from was cleaning out their old stuff layin' around, possibly their own reloads that they didn't like, for the same reason you experienced.

When you remove the casing from the bolt, do it with care as to collect all the evidence. Post pics of the case head, rim (extraction groove where the extractor engaged it), primer pocket, and primer which may be separated from the case (don't be surprised if the primer has a hole in it).

After reviewing your OP, IIRC, the only bullet weight Norinco loaded was 55 grain in that caliber. If it is other than 55 grain, please post a pic of the box indicating the ammo being loaded with other than 55 grain projectiles.

Lou;

Thanks for the education. Another reason I try to avoid 'old' or cheap (non-branded) ammo. Don't care what everyone else says about ya, I think you're OK :lol2:

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I am ok. But here is what happened

I was at the range shooting my brand new Remington 700 Bull barrel .223

I was only on the 25th round through this brand new gun when something happened.
    I felt a blast of air and particulate come exiting through the rear of the bolt and into my eye. Scared the crap out of me.

So what happened? What was i doing wrong?
    Im feel like my ammo selection has something to do with it. I have had the hardest time finding any .223 under 55 grains.
    I was at the gun show in Timonium and all i could find was ChinaSport .223REM
    View attachment 76503

ok so here is what the bolt looks like now. The brass doesnt want to come out and im not wanting to pry it out until i get some advice.
    View attachment 76505
    View attachment 76506
    View attachment 76507
    View attachment 76508
    Send this posting to "Remington."
    I would expect "Remington" will get back to you real fast with all the help they can provide.
    Don't change anything, until you hear back!
    :)

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Those 700 bolts are easy to take apart. If you suspect the firing pin is stuck in the case - take the back of the bolt head off, you should be able to pull the firing pin out with your fingers, unless something is bent. You should be able to inspect the firing pin spring as well, once you take the back of the bolt out.

They do make a dissassembly tool for the 700 bolts, but you can use the edge of a table take the pressure off the bolt spring, and unscrew it.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Send this posting to "Remington."
    I would expect "Remington" will get back to you real fast with all the help they can provide.
    Don't change anything, until you hear back!
    :)

I strongly feel that the problem lies with the ammo and not necessarily with the firearm, though it doesn't rule out a firearm problem. Let's see what kinda' pics OS posts as per my request first before going to a potential firearm problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom