• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Methinks that if I showed you two of the 7mm STW nickel plated empty shell casings, I found on the Barnes Range two weeks ago...I'm sure you would be impressed at the length and girth of the casing.

me has a 7stw and there is no equal! unfortunately i haven't had the chance to try it out on elk yet, but as expected it drops whitetails where they stand.

you won't find ammo at walmart, but i haven't been to too many gun shops that don't carry any.

Kolholznik

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 16, 2014
    I tend to prefer Remington trigger and safety over Winchester's but, if I were in the market for a 7mm Mag for Western Hunting...and wanted to stay under $900, I'd take a long hard look at a Tikka T3. It's basically a no-frills Sako.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The 30.06 is a Remington 7600 pump 22" barrel I know it will kill a elk so will the 308 but I'm hunting 10,000 feet up in the mountains on horse back & I may have 300 -400 yard shot & I know 7mm mag shoots flat my question is Winchester model 70 or Remington 700
    Thanks

Do you prefer Ford or Chevy?

Honestly, asking somebody if they would recommend the Winchester or the Remington is about the same argument. Those with a Winchester will recommend it and those with a Remington will recommend it. Me, I have been using a Ruger 77MKII in .300 Wing Mag for over 20 years now and have killed deer out to 300 yards with it no problem. Ah, but Ruger wasn't one of the choices now was it.

The Remington 700 has more after market stuff for it, which is why I am doing that route from now on. Thing is, I will not be going with anything made by Remington, just with the design (see Borden and Defiance actions, ER Shaw or Shilen barrels, and the myriad of aftermarket stocks for the Remington 700).

Then again, I have both the Ruger mentioned above and a Remington 700 in .270 Win and both guns are just fine. I also have an older Savage 110 in .30-06 that I am not a fan of and I have shot some of the newer Savages and am not a fan of them either.

My advice, go and look at the Winchester and the Remington, see which fits you the best, see which safety you like the best, see which trigger you like the best (trigger problems can be cured pretty easily in the Remington 700 with a Timney, not sure if that is the case with the Winchester), and decide based upon how they feel to you, not how they feel in the hands of others. Both manufacturers sell plenty of rifles, so they must both be pretty decent rifles. Ford and Chevy sell a lot of cars too.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Hunting with Taylor Guide Outfitters Durango Colorado second week rifle season I think it's unit 74

Good luck, I went to Craig, Colorado in 2006 and had a great time. Same type of hunt, horseback, high country.

I used a Browning A Bolt in 7mm and the only reason I chose that was cause it was a lefty and the guy traded me even up for a shotgun and rifle I wanted to get rid of.

Are you able to bring 2 guns? I'm only asking because if not, you may want to consider a set of quick release mounts and mounting/sighting 2 scopes and keeping one along as a back up.

If you or your rifle take a tumble and the scope takes a hefty smack, you can just swap out scopes and not have to worry if your zero was screwed up.

I used Warne Rings and swapped scopes several different times in the months leading up to the hunt while practicing shooting. Never had a problem with them holding zero.

If you are lucky enough to have a range that allows you to shoot offhand, practice with shooting sticks, prone with a backpack, sitting, any way possible.

It was a huge help to me when I wound up shooting off sticks at my elk. By then it was second nature.

Not to sound like a know it all or anything, just hoping to help out.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I agree that you can't go wrong with either. Check them both out and go with whichever strikes your fancy. Try to shoot them before buying if you can, cuz stock design makes a huge difference in perceived recoil. I have a commercial Mauser in 7 mag that was brutal to shoot until I put a custom stock on it. Something to consider since recoil is noticeably above that of an '06 or .308.

Eluxman

Mar 21, 2014
    Joppa
    Thanks to everyone all the good advice your right about the gun has to fit you, only room for one gun we have a 2-4 hour horse back ride from where we park the truck to base camp
    I guess your right about the Ford or Chevy thing I was looking to see if anyone was going to say something really bad about one or the other or what not to get.
    I've had some people tell me only buy this one or that one if its made before this date or after that date.
    I'll let you guys know how I make out, still kicking tires. I have till Oct.
    I have a new Zeiss 4x12 50mm scope to put on my new rifle as soon as I find it.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    SAVAGE 7MM REMINGTON MAG...as mentioned above.....

Yep...had one few years back..a real beauty, scoped.......
    Way too big for Eastern Whitetail, to my way of thinking...but then : to each his own.

Sighted in at 485 yards......neat to see gallon milk jugs filled with water explode...
    Real nice gun...

R

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    Remingtons can have an issue with the firing pin striking the bullet when you take it off safe. I have a buddy that had this happen to him as he was lining up on a caribou. One of the hosts of Alaska Outdoors TV had a rifle that did this as well. He has a video of it on youtube. Other than that, remington's are a fine rifle....but then again, I'm a Winchester guy, so my vote would be for a model 70. I just like a CRF action.

As earlier stated, you can't go wrong with a tikka, I have one in 270 and I'll admit that it shoots better than any of my remingtons or winchesters.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    For a budget rifle my order would be

Tikka T3 Stainless Laminate

Winchester Model 70 Blue/wood

Remington 700 Blue/synthetic

The tikka is a no frills Sako like was said before under $800 new. Smooth as butter action, nice crisp trigger, and light weight for carrying it around the during the hunt.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    If it were me going on this trip (and I wish it was), I would try out the actions of each of them along with the Ruger, Tikka, and maybe an older Weatherby to see what I liked. I have a Ruger 77 MkII in .270 that I like, but I like my buddy's pre-64 Model 70's action better. I imagine if I had a 'smith work on the action on my Ruger, I would like it more than I do. Another Friend has the Weatherby in 30-06. I could see if he wanted to sell it if you were at all interested. I don't know the model, but I don't blame you for wanting 7mm. That is a sweet cartridge.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    .30-06 is plenty for elk. My brother-in-law took one with a .270 Winchester. How far are you going to be shooting? How many centerfire hunting rifles do you need?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    .30-06 is plenty for elk. My brother-in-law took one with a .270 Winchester. How far are you going to be shooting? How many centerfire hunting rifles do you need?

You can tell who read the whole thread and who didnt :innocent0

I have not owned a Winchester bolt gun. I do own two Remington 700 rifles. I'd get the rifle a few months ahead of the hunt and get some rounds downrange before you take it out in the field. Shoot at 100, 200, and 300 yards with sticks (not just bench shooting!) to see how it shoots.

Eluxman

Mar 21, 2014
    Joppa
    Lucky for you I don't think the elk will be at 10'000 ft that late in the season.

Last year 3 of my buddies all filled there tags with nice bulls same spot 18" of snow so I hope we have a repeat same time as last year 3rd week of Oct by Nov maybe 3 feet of snow there

Thanks again for all the advice I may check out the Savage 7mm to see how it feels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom