• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    I posted on this before. Search for my posts and you'll find the full story.

Back in my day the R6 wasn't around, but we had the CBR 900 RR to kill ourselves with.

Anywho - I did exactly what you are asking about. I went to the range on my RR, pistol & ammo in my backpack. Got pulled over for doing a wheelie (yes, I know I am stupid.) Long story short - I got beotch slapped by the five O. MD Cops do whatever they want. And what they DON'T do is stay up at 10 at night studying the limits of the law regarding firearms and what you can and cant do. The defacto training in MD is GUN=BAD=BASH IN HEAD OR SHOOT AND ASK QUESTIONS LATER. Your playing with fire. Don't do it my friend. They even cover this in Concealed Carry classes - Don't go to the range on your bike UNLESS YOU HAVE TWO SADDLEBAGS. GUN IN ONE, AMMO IN THE OTHER.

And before anyone starts slamming me with the "That ain't the law!" crap - AGAIN - MD POLICE DO WHAT THEY WANT. I know all about - "In the case the vehicle does not have a
    compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console." - IT DON'T MATTER. If they pull you over and you have a gun and ammo in the same bag - you are going to the butt hut.

Having said that - keep riding that R6 and you won't be around that much longer to worry about it anyway. Stay safe my friend. I only have 2 of the original 5 friends alive that I used to ride with. Switch to a cruiser and live longer. Less testicular pain as well.

Yep we do, just to only irritate people just like you. :sarcasm:

Oh, and I am sure the OP appreciates you telling him he isn't going to live much longer riding his bike. Did it ever occur to you that not everyone who owns a bike (Sport Bike) acts stupid? May your friends RIP, but do not excuse their misfortunes by throwing someone else under the bus for riding.

Just another genious on his stereotyping soapbox. /rant

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I bought a universal set of soft saddlebags off ebay that i use on my fz6 for such occasions. They only take 60 seconds to put on or take off and attach to the passenger pegs and helmet holder. I wont ride with a heavy back pack anymore after a close call I had while draggin a knee the whole bag shifted and i just about went down. Scared the shit outta me.

SSJ

Sep 16, 2011
    MD
    Yep we do, just to only irritate people just like you. :sarcasm:

Oh, and I am sure the OP appreciates you telling him he isn't going to live much longer riding his bike. Did it ever occur to you that not everyone who owns a bike (Sport Bike) acts stupid? May your friends RIP, but do not excuse their misfortunes by throwing someone else under the bus for riding.

Just another genious on his stereotyping soapbox. /rant

For someone that has an awesome sarcasm icon-thingy, you sure don't recognize sarcasm when you hear it. But your right. That might have sounded a little rough.

Sorry OP. I was just trying to help motivate you to stay safe. My bad.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    For someone that has an awesome sarcasm icon-thingy, you sure don't recognize sarcasm when you hear it. But your right. That might have sounded a little rough.

Sorry OP. I was just trying to help motivate you to stay safe. My bad.

Heard it sincerely from far too many people since I've been riding. Both cagers who think I shouldn't ride at all, and cruiser riders who somehow think they're safer that someone on a sportbike.

Scott92

Feb 24, 2011
    Near Annapolis, MD
    I ride a ninja. I put the weapon, unloaded, with a cable lock, inside a locked plastic pistol box in a tail bag and my ammo and unloaded mags in a tank bag. I then conservatively observe all traffic laws on the way to and from range. I make sure that I only go to and from range and I usually plan to return without any left ower ammo.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    not quite on the same topic, but close. In states that allow open carry, is there anything written to prevent open carrying while riding a bike? I realize all states have differnent laws, but it is interesting to me. Makes you a flag for leo, but will really make people think about riding your rear when they see that holster on you?

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    not quite on the same topic, but close. In states that allow open carry, is there anything written to prevent open carrying while riding a bike? I realize all states have differnent laws, but it is interesting to me. Makes you a flag for leo, but will really make people think about riding your rear when they see that holster on you?

Perfectly legal, seen it in Northern Virginia.

2much2do49

Feb 25, 2009
    Salisbury, MD

Now that would be cool! I'd love to ride with my Glock hanging out in the wind..........

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Having said that - keep riding that R6 and you won't be around that much longer to worry about it anyway. Stay safe my friend. I only have 2 of the original 5 friends alive that I used to ride with. Switch to a cruiser and live longer. Less testicular pain as well.

Wow, that's pretty messed up to say that. For a bunch of us who don't want others to tell us what and how to live.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Open carry on a bike would be awesome! Exactly as you said, cut me off, i dare you lol. I bet that pic of the guy riding with the ak on his back had no problems while riding lol.

I eat cbr900's for breakfast, cbr1000's for lunch, i guess im on borrowed time now since its ONLY speed that kills.... Hate to get back on it but its really messed up, especially for another biker to say that stuff. I rode to work today, one of the first times out this season, always good to hear. Ive lost friends, seen bad accidents, but its not something to throw in someones face. Howd you like to hear, your family is gonnd die when the suv or minivan flips over? Not cool right?

I guess us dumbasses that wear full leathers, full face helmets, gauntlet gloves, riding boots, all of which is padded and reinforced are completely retarded....says the guys with brain buckets, cut up vest and no teeth.

Yeah i derailed this thread, no problem.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    You have not run into me. ;) Plus I'd let you win, I do not race. Those days have long passed me.

My buddie has an 07 cbr1000, we go back and forth all the time. Hes got mch better low end, but my old r1 smoked it once we got going. The zx10 evens out the low end a little but its still got more top end power.

Its rare we get to test that way anymore though, track time is expensive. We could go to capitol but i dont care for drag racing or that track in general. Once in a blue moon ill go.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I've ridden to the range a couple times, guns in one bag, ammo in the other. I ride pretty slow, however (speed limit +5 max) and just enjoy the ride.

Would be harder on a sport bike, obviously.

I can't wait to start riding to work everyday again.....just not looking forward to the coldness in the mornings lol.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Here ya go

Sourse Page 3

That is stating FOPA protections for interstate transport. Your source apparently got their info ftom old MDSP guidance that has since been updated to better reflect the actual laws.
    If you read the 4-203 you will see that you can apparently carry a unloaded pistol openly or concealed if you are transporting for certain purposes. i dont know if i would try it...

punchBIGholes

Nov 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    I wont ride with a heavy back pack anymore after a close call I had while draggin a knee the whole bag shifted and i just about went down. Scared the shit outta me.

I always have a back pack. I went down about 2 years ago while coming back from school and to avoid getting hit by a car had to lay down my bike and the back pack saved my back. my legs, arms and chest were tore up my back was scratch free.

people telling me i'm gonna die does not bother me. hell everyone i work with are probably pooling tips to for a hit man. :lol2:

i'm probably gonna go with the saddle bags.
    Thanks for the advice Gents

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I posted on this before. Search for my posts and you'll find the full story.

Back in my day the R6 wasn't around, but we had the CBR 900 RR to kill ourselves with.

Anywho - I did exactly what you are asking about. I went to the range on my RR, pistol & ammo in my backpack. Got pulled over for doing a wheelie (yes, I know I am stupid.) Long story short - I got beotch slapped by the five O. MD Cops do whatever they want. And what they DON'T do is stay up at 10 at night studying the limits of the law regarding firearms and what you can and cant do. The defacto training in MD is GUN=BAD=BASH IN HEAD OR SHOOT AND ASK QUESTIONS LATER. Your playing with fire. Don't do it my friend. They even cover this in Concealed Carry classes - Don't go to the range on your bike UNLESS YOU HAVE TWO SADDLEBAGS. GUN IN ONE, AMMO IN THE OTHER.

And before anyone starts slamming me with the "That ain't the law!" crap - AGAIN - MD POLICE DO WHAT THEY WANT. I know all about - "In the case the vehicle does not have a
    compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console."
    - IT DON'T MATTER. If they pull you over and you have a gun and ammo in the same bag - you are going to the butt hut.

Once again, advice from a keyboard lawyer that apparently doesn't know the difference between FOPA and Maryland gun laws. There is no such mention of this requirement in MD law. MD law says "During transportation to and from the above places, the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster". Notice that there's no mention of separate compartments or locked boxes, or places other than the glove box, or for that matter, anything you spit out in this post?

So, let me be the first one to SLAM you.

Under MD law this would be legal as long as the gun is unloaded.

Attachments

• Arizona Motorcycle Seat.jpg
      Arizona Motorcycle Seat.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 135

SSJ

Sep 16, 2011
    MD
    Once again, advice from a keyboard lawyer that apparently doesn't know the difference between FOPA and Maryland gun laws. There is no such mention of this requirement in MD law. MD law says "During transportation to and from the above places, the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster". Notice that there's no mention of separate compartments or locked boxes, or places other than the glove box, or for that matter, anything you spit out in this post?

So, let me be the first one to SLAM you.

Under MD law this would be legal as long as the gun is unloaded.

LMFAO!!!!

Yeah, go for it partner. Tell you what, I'll meet you at a Police Station in MD, you pull up on a bike just like that picture. $100 bucks says only one of us will leave NOT in handcuffs.

Did you even read my post???? Yes, I know YOU are right. Yes, I know all about FOPA. The point was - MD POLICE DON'T CARE AND DON'T KNOW. I was just trying to be helpful and cited a real-life example of what happend when I did it and got caught. However, your right. FOPA does say otherwise. Knock yourself out. Have fun and drive around like that and see what happens.

SSJ

Sep 16, 2011
    MD
    Open carry on a bike would be awesome! Exactly as you said, cut me off, i dare you lol. I bet that pic of the guy riding with the ak on his back had no problems while riding lol.

I eat cbr900's for breakfast, cbr1000's for lunch, i guess im on borrowed time now since its ONLY speed that kills.... Hate to get back on it but its really messed up, especially for another biker to say that stuff. I rode to work today, one of the first times out this season, always good to hear. Ive lost friends, seen bad accidents, but its not something to throw in someones face. Howd you like to hear, your family is gonnd die when the suv or minivan flips over? Not cool right?

I guess us dumbasses that wear full leathers, full face helmets, gauntlet gloves, riding boots, all of which is padded and reinforced are completely retarded....says the guys with brain buckets, cut up vest and no teeth.

Yeah i derailed this thread, no problem.

Seriously? Dude, put your big boy panties on and chill. I had to listen to that kind of stuff all the time when I rode crotch rockets.

1. I never said anything about speed. But since you brought it up, I'm sure that the reason you buy a motorcycle that does 71mph in first gear is to the follow the speed limit, right?

2. Yeah, I know my family will die if the minivan flips over. LOL.

3. I never said anything about your saftey gear either. Listen bro, your talking to someone that is a MSF instructor, California Superbike School graduate, as well as countless other private Motorcycle Survivor Training programs. I wear full gear to this day. I'm one of the few people on the road on a grandpa motorcycle that looks like he just got off an R1.

If you would have taken the time to read my post you would have seen phrases like "stay safe my friend." As in - an old guy who loves crotch rockets and wishes he could still ride them is giving an cautious warning to a fellow biker. JFC........

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom