RFID Gun Storage (Hornady and The GunBox)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sub Vet

Liberty Hound
    Jun 26, 2015
    Does anyone here use an RFID handgun storage device?
    Any opinions?

The GunBox and the one by Hornady seem to be the top two out there.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    personally I like them, with the Hornady you have backup power via 9volt and you still have the standard slap password. whats not to like?

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Does anyone here use an RFID handgun storage device?
    Any opinions?

The GunBox and the one by Hornady seem to be the top two out there.

The hornady rapid safe looks decent.

Why not go with a straightforward simplex lock safe though?

Sub Vet

Liberty Hound
    Jun 26, 2015
    It seems more simple to wave your hand to open the safe (with the RFID). I suspect it is faster, especially if you are in a hurry.

I suppose with practice the simplex style would be just as fast, and probably more reliable as far as the mechanics of the box.

Any input from someone out there that owns/uses both?

mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    Have demo'd both for classes, appear solid in all aspects, but not an owner or user.

I would offer that reliability far outweighs speed.
    It is most likely that you will be in your safe room when you access the firearm so you will have the time and you will have practiced (of course).

If you are trying to solve the problem of access during the moment of intrusion, then you have quite a few more considerations at hand. In this latter situation, I would highly recommend a carry option since you may not have the time to get to the safe, gain access, and respond in a timely fashion without having a retention problem.

-Chuck

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How does the rfid work? Do you wear a magic ring that you swipe above? How many magic rings come with the safe if several people need access to a weapon?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    How does the rfid work? Do you wear a magic ring that you swipe above? How many magic rings come with the safe if several people need access to a weapon?

Comes with a key ring tag, bracelet and credit card-type device, one each, that all open it. Just waive the device over the front of the safe, and it opens on its own. There is also a code you can just punch in to open it of you don't have a RFID device.

The safe runs on a DC transformer you plug in, and it has a battety back-up in case the power goes out.

We sell a lot of the Hornady safes. Cops like the pistol holder that lifts and presents the gun's grip to you as the safe opens.

pb.jpg

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Question. Are the doors spring loaded? I want a safe that I can mount upside down under a table. unless of course they come with mounting holes in the top.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Question. Are the doors spring loaded? I want a safe that I can mount upside down under a table. unless of course they come with mounting holes in the top.

The Hornady is spring loaded with pneumatic dampers, so upside-down or right side up it opens at the same speed,and stops at a pre-set position. (See pic) The gun mount holds the pistol securely in place until you pull it free.

There are only mounting holes in the bottom, but it can be mounted facing up or down.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    RFID is pretty easy to steal. Sure it adds a bit of a layer of work for someone to do, but if they've already got you in their sights (no pun intended), what's another 30-40 bucks for the hardware to steal the RFID information? Get a powerful enough reader, I could be sitting 50+ feet away and still get it.

There's a reason the wire-mesh passport holders and wallets are gaining in popularity.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    RFID is pretty easy to steal. Sure it adds a bit of a layer of work for someone to do, but if they've already got you in their sights (no pun intended), what's another 30-40 bucks for the hardware to steal the RFID information? Get a powerful enough reader, I could be sitting 50+ feet away and still get it.

There's a reason the wire-mesh passport holders and wallets are gaining in popularity.

A lot of work when a pry bar would do the same thing a lot less expensively.

Can't open the safe? Pry it off what it is screwed to and get it open later.

These types of safes are intended keep kids and unauthorized persons away form your guns and provide easy access in time of need. They are not intended as high-security devices.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    A lot of work when a pry bar would do the same thing a lot less expensively.

Can't open the safe? Pry it off what it is screwed to and get it open later.

These types of safes are intended keep kids and unauthorized persons away form your guns and provide easy access in time of need. They are not intended as high-security devices.

Well the ftknox/amsec options do use thicker gauge steel (10 IIRC) than other alternatives.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Well the ftknox/amsec options do use thicker gauge steel (10 IIRC) than other alternatives.

True, but in point of fact, all of them can be pried open with some effort and the right tool.

As I said, these are not intended as alternatives to real safes, most noteably, the first thing you should look for in a safe is that it is too big and too heavy to simply carry away.

You pay a lot more for that bit of steel too. ;)

Pistol safes are great for what they are intended to do, provide temporary security and quick access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom