• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Any IP's or any of you guys have a general idea regarding the percentage of pistol sales versus revolver sales nowadays? Just curious what the ratio looks like today, and I can't recall seeing any stats?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Probably around ten to one if I had to guess. People just don't appreciate revolvers like they should anymore, IMHO. Plus revolvers are a lot more expensive to make than polymer pistols, so they cost more.

The majority of revolvers I see selling are the smaller .38 and .357 snubbies for concealed carry. Those and Judges people want for home defense. Not nearly as much interest in other bigger wheelguns any longer.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Probably around ten to one if I had to guess. People just don't appreciate revolvers like they should anymore, IMHO. Plus revolvers are a lot more expensive to make than polymer pistols, so they cost more.

The majority of revolvers I see selling are the smaller .38 and .357 snubbies for concealed carry. Those and Judges people want for home defense. Not nearly as much interest in other bigger wheelguns any longer.

That's about the ratio I had in mind also. I have no idea whether or not that's even remotely accurate. Odd to me that the topic doesn't seem to come up in print either. Cuz yeah, I get the different times piece. But that piece aside, the wheelies are a whole lot of fun, and bring and add a whole other dimension.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I sold about 25 to 1. Only old guys and poor where interested in revolvers.
    Me I'd buy a Colt Python for 2.5k and sell it to some idiot (IMHO) for twice what I paid in a few years.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    High quality revolvers still sell very well, but I would agree with the 10 to 1 ratio already mentioned. Part of that is due to the fact the supply of high end revolvers is dwarfed by the available supply of pistols.

Nice Smiths, Rugers and vintage Colts never stay in stock long.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    A revolver is what's next to the bed and on my person (where legal). Overall, they comprise about 50% of my handgun collection. I don't think I'm that old, and wouldn't say I'm poor either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I like revolvers and own a few, but they are pricey. A new GP-100 will cost me a lot more than a new Glock 19.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I like revolvers and own a few, but they are pricey. A new GP-100 will cost me a lot more than a new Glock 19.

Eh. A new GP100 Blued is $600 and a glock 19 Gen 4 is $575. Pretty negligible.

I'd say 20:1 is about the ratio for us on new handguns.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Now that the thugs don't need to worry about leaving brass behind, I'd expect the ratio to widen.

Why is that? Didn't the old law require revolver-carrying criminals to eject their shells at the scene of the crime? :)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Too poor, too old...hrrummmph!

Judging by the forums, contemporary revolver purchases seem to be largely driven by

1 desire for a revolver (reliabilty, safety and simpler operation, sports centered around it, etc);
    2 desire or need of magnum cartridge;
    3 small frame concealment with a decently powerful cartridg

Of those, #3 is losing ground to the good small frame 9x19's. Again preference will drive the choice.

I love revolvers, always have. Even when I was in my 20's...when I got my first handgun.
    I love my semi autos, even in sight of birthday number 6-Ohh.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

I got a new stainless GP100 4.2" a few months ago for $599. Gen4 Glocks were nearby in the display case for the same money. There were new blued GP100's in the case for less than the Glocks.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    A revolver is what's next to the bed and on my person (where legal). Overall, they comprise about 50% of my handgun collection. I don't think I'm that old, and wouldn't say I'm poor either.

Much the same here, except revolvers comprise about 75-80% of my handgun collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom