• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Onthedecline

Sep 12, 2011
    So, I had the opportunity to try out a variety of different types of guns with one of this forum's posters. I had a great time, learned a lot, and have a pretty good idea what I am looking for in a firearm.......an AR-15. Just kidding :lol2:. I had the chance to shoot from one and it was awesome, but not really a home defense weapon.

I liked the revolver best. It was very easy to use. Easy to understand (not too many moving parts) and was so much fun to shoot. I think it is a good gun for a beginner.

I was able to try a S&W .357. I shot .38specials out of it with decent accuracy for my first time out. I shot some .357 magnums out of it, and it was too powerful for me to be accurate. Something to work up to.

Any brand recommendations for .357 revolvers? The S&W (it was an ex-service revolver, but I forget the model) was awesome, but they are rather pricey. I have read some reviews on the Ruger 100. It is visually appealling, well reviewed, and priced less than some of the other name brands. Is it a good gun? Will it compare to a S&W?

Thanks again.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    The Ruger GP100 is a great revolver .I have one and have no complaints at all it is always within arms reach at home .

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Look around for posts by alucard0822 on this topic. The short answer is that yes, the Ruger Gp-100 is a well made, quality hunk of steel that does the job just fine. Not as refined as a S&W 686, but more than up to the tasks that most people will use them for.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I seem to recall that Lou at Shooters Discount had some turn-in S&W revolvers just in. You might want to PM him or search for his post.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I seem to recall that Lou at Shooters Discount had some turn-in S&W revolvers just in. You might want to PM him or search for his post.

I bought one a few months back, it was a S&W 36 for $289. it took about an hour to give it a good cleaning, then i threw on some new grips and it was good as new

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I like Rugers because they're built like tanks.....a 357 doesn't have all that much recoil I suggest something heavy. Try a Blackhawk for the extra weight or stick with 38's.

Mr BoomStick

Jan 27, 2010
    Hagerstown
    My brother has a nicely tuned gp100 dam fine gun. I'm actually looking into getting one set up the same way as his, and where is mbz there is a Ruger mentioned in this thread and out resident ruger nazi hasn't shown up yet.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    S&W warranties there firearms for life. There customer service is great as well.

If you are looking around to purchase a firearm, you may want to give Jason Broadwater a call. He owns Sang Runs Sports up my way (Garrett Co). His prices on firearms are pretty good, and there great to deal with. If he dosnt have what you are looking for, he probably can get it for you.

Here is there info:

Sang Run Sports Shop
    113 Henry Clay Drive
    Oakland, MD 21550

Phone: 301-387-2207
    Fax: 301-387-6279
    Hours: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm Mon - Fri; 9:00 am - 5:00 pm Sat; Closed Sun

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    My vote is for the Ruger GP100. As others have said, it is built like a tank, .357 mag recoil is extremely manageable, and Ruger has outstanding customer service.

jersey

Nov 16, 2008
    Chambersburg PA
    I've had 3 revolvers.1st was A Taurus 44mag IMO crap, turned that into my xd-9.
    A S&W 29-3 44 mag, sold couse i needed the money. Good gun though would buy another S&W.

Still have as Boomstick stated my GP-100 in 357. Love it, wont sell it.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Any brand recommendations for .357 revolvers? The S&W (it was an ex-service revolver, but I forget the model) was awesome, but they are rather pricey.

Not at all! The new Smiths are overpriced, have the diabolical internal locks, and have had a few slips in quality assurance. The older, pre-1990 Smiths however, don't have any of these problems.

Used Smith service revolvers are a bargain on wheels (pun intended). Many can be had for the price of a Taurus. Our IPs on here won't take you for a ride by selling you a junky gun or gouge you. I'll vouch for Lou and would also recommend giving a PM to Gunconnection or Engage Armament to see what's in stock.

Aside from used Smiths and Rugers, I'm also going to recommend a dark horse (pun intended again). Some of the "working man" Colt revolvers can be had for $400-$600, depending on type and condition. They're not so rare that you can't shoot them and just rare enough that you won't be losing money if you decide to sell later down the line. I bought my Colt Mk III Trooper within this range and it is a damn fine revolver.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Either 686/586 or a GP100 (used) both are over built (S&W a little & GP100 a lot!) and you are good to go.

I would recommend going to a indoor range and see if you can rent them both for a test ride (go for a least a 3" barrel for full case extraction on fired cases).

IMHO

Onthedecline

Sep 12, 2011
    Not at all! The new Smiths are overpriced, have the diabolical internal locks, and have had a few slips in quality assurance. The older, pre-1990 Smiths however, don't have any of these problems.

Used Smith service revolvers are a bargain on wheels (pun intended). Many can be had for the price of a Taurus. Our IPs on here won't take you for a ride by selling you a junky gun or gouge you. I'll vouch for Lou and would also recommend giving a PM to Gunconnection or Engage Armament to see what's in stock.

Aside from used Smiths and Rugers, I'm also going to recommend a dark horse (pun intended again). Some of the "working man" Colt revolvers can be had for $400-$600, depending on type and condition. They're not so rare that you can't shoot them and just rare enough that you won't be losing money if you decide to sell later down the line. I bought my Colt Mk III Trooper within this range and it is a damn fine revolver.

Thanks for all the advice. I get another chance to try out some different models this weekend.

What is an internal lock? Is it on a revolver?

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Go for the Ruger GP-100 the 686 is sweet but the price is higher and not worth the extra.

(Yes, I am the resident Ruger Nazi)

Of course a cool gun is the S&W 627 which is an 8-shot .357 mag.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I bought one a few months back, it was a S&W 36 for $289. it took about an hour to give it a good cleaning, then i threw on some new grips and it was good as new

I bought this from Lou in June. It is a S&W mod 65-2. It was not real pretty when I got it but after a good cleaning and a new set of grips it turned out to be a nail driver. You usually can't go wrong with police turn-ins.

S&W 65-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom