Revolver caliber .45 ACP for the Range and maybe IDAP/USPSA ??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    If I were getting into IDPA more, I'd consider either http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57773_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y or http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57773_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y as the Nightguard series has night sights and is pretty light for an N-Frame revolver.

Jim

If you were getting into IDPA I would love to compete against you with either of those revolvers : )
    Light weight guns let you experience every bit of recoil you would rather avoid.
    Revolver barrels shorter than the IDPA max of 4 inch let you enjoy more muzzle flip with less sight radius.
    Don't forget that the 10mm has to make a 165000 power factor.
    Top that off with the fact that both of these guns can only be shot in ESR division and know you will be at a huge disadvantage against something like a 625 or a 610.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I am pretty happy with my Redhawk as well, good robust and accurate. Only downside is the trigger is going to need alot of work to be solid for competition. I am not sure how much better S&W triggers are but this one is probably 20lbs DA and 8 or 10 SA. Definately on my list of guns to have improved. 4" barrel is probably not the best choice either.

Redhawk%2045.JPG

P.S. I am a closet Ruger fanboy.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Ruger makes great stuff, more than suitable for any application where a vault may be useful.
    If you're not attempting to contain a moderate explosion there are better tools to do it with.
    Smith has a great trigger but Ruger is a sturdier gun.
    Compare a Rolex to Stonehenge.
    Both will tell time but only one will take a beating for thousands of years.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you were getting into IDPA I would love to compete against you with either of those revolvers : )
    Light weight guns let you experience every bit of recoil you would rather avoid.
    Revolver barrels shorter than the IDPA max of 4 inch let you enjoy more muzzle flip with less sight radius.
    Don't forget that the 10mm has to make a 165000 power factor.
    Top that off with the fact that both of these guns can only be shot in ESR division and know you will be at a huge disadvantage against something like a 625 or a 610.

You do realize that's a "10mm Lite" load, right? I have 165gr FMJs in .40 that hit 1000 fps, so that makes the power factor right there. If I downloaded the 10mm to that, there won't be a whole lotta recoil there. When my Taurus gets sold (it's on consignment) I'm getting a 310 and we'll see how it goes. I do love the night sights on them.

Jim

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    You do realize that's a "10mm Lite" load, right? I have 165gr FMJs in .40 that hit 1000 fps, so that makes the power factor right there. If I downloaded the 10mm to that, there won't be a whole lotta recoil there. When my Taurus gets sold (it's on consignment) I'm getting a 310 and we'll see how it goes. I do love the night sights on them.

Jim

Yup I realize...
    You know a 230gr ball only has to go 718 and will have much less felt recoil with the right powder choice?
    There is a reason those 4 inch 625s are so popular in the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom