Review of Freedom Ammunition 9mm...DON'T BUY!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    First of all, I want to be clear, this quick review is of Freedom Ammunition reloads, NOT Freedom Munitions. The latter is a company I have made many purchases from and had great results. The specific company I'm reviewing here is: https://www.freedomammunition.com/

Second...I'm sorry for the long rants but I don't want to see anyone else get ripped off by these guys.

I noticed what looked like a good deal on 9mm 124 gr at this site back in November. It was marked as a sale item marked as mix box ammunition and in the description section was very clearly marked as "New production brass case ammunition with Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) bullet". After a nearly 1 month wait to receive my order a quick inspection revealed they were reloads. Honestly, I kind of expected this but to compound the misstatements on the website was the fact that the rounds were loaded with plated bullets instead of FMJ. Again, not a huge deal until I started to check the quality of the reloads....

I pulled a few bullets and found that the crimp on the plated bullet was extremely heavy. To the point that it was cracking the plating. In addition, I found that the COL of a sampling of 10 rounds varied by as much as 0.05" which sparked some serious concern. My first thought was "should I even trying shooting this stuff"? So I attempted to call the manufacturer. After leaving three messages and two unanswered emails my frustration was of course high. Against my better judgement, I took 200 of the rounds to the range and experienced 2 failures to fire during the first 100 rounds and much to my frustration a squib round on the second 100 rds. On top of this I found significant accuracy issues out of my CZ. Again, I went back to the phone and email with no response.

Finally after leaving a rather irritate voice message and emails that included screen shots of the still active and very incorrect listing, I did get a phone call back from the company. It was explained to me that the product I received was exactly what was described and that "I should be more careful to read the descriptions". The person I talked with had no real knowledge of ammunition and couldn't comment on the quality issues I found. They claimed that the ATF does not allow them to receive returns. I ended the call with the fact that I was going to dispute the credit card charges unless they addressed the issues.

About a week after disputing the charges, I got a phone call from Steven Snyder, the CEO of Freedom Ammunition. After explaining the situation and my desire to return the product for a refund, I was told that "I should be a smart enough person to know that the item listed at 18 cents a round was not going to be new production". My argument of the fact that the bullets were not FMJ fell on deaf ears because he could not describe to me what the difference was between a FMJ and plated/TMJ bullet were. Interesting coming from the "CEO" of an ammunition company!

He demanded that I reinstate the charges and that if I didn't he would "call the ATF and report me for illegally ordering ammunition through the mail". At this I laughed and expressed that my ordering of ammunition was completely legal and that he would be responsible for illegally shipping ammunition if there was a legal issue. To this he responded "we ship ammunition to many places its not legal to keep our customers happy". At this point, I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Did he really just admit to me that they illegally ship ammunition???

So, in the end, I thankfully have my money back. I have close to 800 rds of useless ammo that I will probably just throw away for fear that I would get more squib rounds and cause damage or serious injury. I haven't heard anything about him "reporting me to the ATF" hahaha.

The moral of this long saga...DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM FREEDOM AMMUNITION!!!

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Wow! For someone who is not familiar with the Freedom Munitions logo and website, it would be easy to confuse it with Freedom Ammunition. I wonder if that was by design rather than coincidence. I purchase new 9mm plinking ammo from Freedom Munitions all the time and I have had zero problems with any of it. It would be a shame if they take a financial hit in sales because Freedom Ammunition is glomming their customers and selling them questionable ammo.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    These two screen grabs show me all I need to know about the company. But I can but ABCs for 70 bucks that's a deal!!

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpg
      IMG_0232.jpg
      36.5 KB · Views: 1,364
    • IMG_0231.jpg
      IMG_0231.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 1,389

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    First of all, I want to be clear, this quick review is of Freedom Ammunition reloads, NOT Freedom Munitions. The latter is a company I have made many purchases from and had great results. The specific company I'm reviewing here is: https://www.freedomammunition.com/

Second...I'm sorry for the long rants but I don't want to see anyone else get ripped off by these guys.

I noticed what looked like a good deal on 9mm 124 gr at this site back in November. It was marked as a sale item marked as mix box ammunition and in the description section was very clearly marked as "New production brass case ammunition with Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) bullet". After a nearly 1 month wait to receive my order a quick inspection revealed they were reloads. Honestly, I kind of expected this but to compound the misstatements on the website was the fact that the rounds were loaded with plated bullets instead of FMJ. Again, not a huge deal until I started to check the quality of the reloads....

I pulled a few bullets and found that the crimp on the plated bullet was extremely heavy. To the point that it was cracking the plating. In addition, I found that the COL of a sampling of 10 rounds varied by as much as 0.05" which sparked some serious concern. My first thought was "should I even trying shooting this stuff"? So I attempted to call the manufacturer. After leaving three messages and two unanswered emails my frustration was of course high. Against my better judgement, I took 200 of the rounds to the range and experienced 2 failures to fire during the first 100 rounds and much to my frustration a squib round on the second 100 rds. On top of this I found significant accuracy issues out of my CZ. Again, I went back to the phone and email with no response.

Finally after leaving a rather irritate voice message and emails that included screen shots of the still active and very incorrect listing, I did get a phone call back from the company. It was explained to me that the product I received was exactly what was described and that "I should be more careful to read the descriptions". The person I talked with had no real knowledge of ammunition and couldn't comment on the quality issues I found. They claimed that the ATF does not allow them to receive returns. I ended the call with the fact that I was going to dispute the credit card charges unless they addressed the issues.

About a week after disputing the charges, I got a phone call from Steven Snyder, the CEO of Freedom Ammunition. After explaining the situation and my desire to return the product for a refund, I was told that "I should be a smart enough person to know that the item listed at 18 cents a round was not going to be new production". My argument of the fact that the bullets were not FMJ fell on deaf ears because he could not describe to me what the difference was between a FMJ and plated/TMJ bullet were. Interesting coming from the "CEO" of an ammunition company!

He demanded that I reinstate the charges and that if I didn't he would "call the ATF and report me for illegally ordering ammunition through the mail". At this I laughed and expressed that my ordering of ammunition was completely legal and that he would be responsible for illegally shipping ammunition if there was a legal issue. To this he responded "we ship ammunition to many places its not legal to keep our customers happy". At this point, I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Did he really just admit to me that they illegally ship ammunition???

So, in the end, I thankfully have my money back. I have close to 800 rds of useless ammo that I will probably just throw away for fear that I would get more squib rounds and cause damage or serious injury. I haven't heard anything about him "reporting me to the ATF" hahaha.

The moral of this long saga...DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM FREEDOM AMMUNITION!!!

Has anyone contacted people at Freedom Munitions and advised that company of the confusion and possible copyright infringement of the Freedom Ammunition company and the effect it may be having on their reputation?

I'm sure that Freedom Munitions would want to know if another company is creating a bad reputation for them... or using their good name to sell a bad product.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    These two screen grabs show me all I need to know about the company. But I can but ABCs for 70 bucks that's a deal!!

Their site is ridiculous as they advertise outrageous prices but then destroy you on the shipping. I saw 9mm advertised at $120 for 1000rds but then they charge $75 shipping. Many of their descriptions are wrong. I can't believe that this company hasn't had more issues like mine. When I spoke with the CC company about disputing the charges and sent them the screen shots and they told me that this company would have no way fighting the dispute.

When I spoke to Steven Snyder "CEO" on the phone, he couldn't even navigate to the product listing on his own site. He said he "doesn't do computers, he is too busy running the business".

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Has anyone contacted people at Freedom Munitions and advised that company of the confusion and possible copyright infringement of the Freedom Ammunition company and the effect it may be having on their reputation?

I'm sure that Freedom Munitions would want to know if another company is creating a bad reputation for them... or using their good name to sell a bad product.

I haven't but you have to wonder if there are bad reviews out there for Freedom Munitions that are confusing the two companies. My guess is that Freedom Munitions is well aware of these crack pots but can't do anything about it.

Here is a thread on S&W forum that is similar to mine...http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/479530-avoid-freedom-ammunition.html

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I haven't but you have to wonder if there are bad reviews out there for Freedom Munitions that are confusing the two companies. My guess is that Freedom Munitions is well aware of these crack pots but can't do anything about it.

Here is a thread on S&W forum that is similar to mine...http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/479530-avoid-freedom-ammunition.html

Well since YOU had such a nasty experience with the Freedom Ammunitions Company... YOUR story would be best told to the Freedom Munitions Company by you. I have been known to make such a call in other cases where I was personally wronged. The FM Co. would very likely welcome your complaint about the FA Co., in person because it is not simply a matter of an Internet blog posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom