Retro XM16E1 Assembly/Build. Thanks O'Malley for my new AR15!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Well I am not a big AR15 guy but I guess I am becoming one! Pre SB281, I owned one Bushmaster M4 Type. Now I have two other receivers waiting to be built, a registered M16 on the way and for the latest, this XM16E1. Yes I know some of you guys call this a build but really its just assembling parts. Having done FAL, AK Flat and 1919a4s, the AR15 sure is an easy gun deal with. Pre-SB281, I had no thought of a Retro AR15 build. However with the now or never part coming, I looked around to make sure I got everything I wanted. Well I thought a retro M16 build would be cool.

Dsc02209.jpg

So before Oct 1, I got myself a Nodak Spud retro XM16E1 receiver. For years I have heard people refer to AR15 by their Colt number... and had little interest in learning them. Well I guess it was time. In deciding which early M16 to clone, I was looking for one that stood out, had history and still had the look. For me, I decided I wanted to do the early version of the gun, the problem M16 so to speak. So there was the 601 and 602 which were very early pretty much prototype guns. Then the Army introduced the 603 XM16E1 and the AF had their 604 M16. At first I really wanted to do the 604 M16. However I like the Army guns a bit more as its really the Army that uses the guns in action. Since I was already in that time period, I thought the gun used in "We were Soldiers" would also be cool as more people could relate to it. So even if the AF 604 M16 had the name and the lack of the forward assist, two features I liked, I decided on the 603 XM16E1.

Dsc02211.jpg

Finding parts is not easy but also is not super hard. The question becomes then, what parts are correct? I found two websites that were a lot of help!
    http://imageevent.com/willyp/firearmsalbums/uscoltarmalitem16ar15556
    http://www.retroblackrifle.com/
    After that I found someone of GB who had most of the parts and I bought a big lot from him. As always, there is a balance between the correct parts and price. I decided that I wanted the gun to look right rather than be 100% original, at any cost. So I decided to got retro look with modern less expensive parts. I wanted to do a 1964-65 build.

I ended up with:
    -Repro Three Prong FH.
    -FN made 1/12 Chrome lined barrel. Of course Colt, MP marked barrel would have been correct, but the extra cost were not worth it to me. Can you tell?
    -Forged Smoothed FSB with no drain for front sight. I thought about a cast FSB but again the cost were to high and this is still correct.
    -No Drain hole Front handguards.
    -Modern Gas tube, again who can see?
    -Flat slip ring
    -XM16E1 Style upper which is slightly different from M16A1 uppers.
    -Microbest chrome bolt. New production but looks like the original. Only brand I could find that did not slap their logo on the side! Its a M16 bolt so I can run it on my registered receiver eventually.
    -Early M16 Selector. With the recent court case, I decided to weld up the FA features on it, so now it has the same profile as a AR15 selector.
    -Early dimpled take down pins.
    -Repro early bolt hold open
    -Repro Many Circles mag release button
    -Modern Armalite AR15 Lower parts kit, including Trigger group.
    -Modern buffer tube and buffer as you really can't see them!
    -Type D stock, correct early version with no cleaning kit door. It does have the drain hole screw but who cares.
    -Early Assist.
    -Garand style sling
    -Early 223 marked mag.

Dsc02212.jpg

I sent the receiver out to Identmarking and they added the original Colt engraving to the receiver. It still has the Nodak Spud markings for legal reason but the look is pretty good. As you can note the receiver is a partial fence lower. It has a fake buffer tube staking roll pin. I had the fake auto sear markings added and the auto marking added. However in welding up the selector, I made it so it will not rotate into the auto position and if it could, it would be like the safety was on.

Dsc02210.jpg

I bought the AR15 tools, including receiver and mag block and wrench. I installed the barrel and checked headspace. About the only thing I did not do is install the FSB as it came on the barrel that way.

With it all, you can see slight Anodizing color differences. I could send the Upper, trigger guard and cocking handle out to get an exact match for about $200 but frankly I think its close enough for $200.

I still have some work to do on it and decisions to make. As you can see, some parts have some wear to them. The metal I can repark myself easily. However you can see the cocking handle has some wear and that I can't do by myself. So I may "weather" the gun a bit so it does not look so new. I am in no rush, so I will think about that for a little while.

Total cost ended up to be a fair amount more than a new average AR15. Probably closer to the $1500 mark. Way to much money but it was now or never, so thanks to O'Malley, I have a nice retro XM16E1. I hope you guys found it interesting but not to interesting since its illegal to get one now!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Nice rifle. Where did you get the barrel? I've been half-heartedly looking for one for the past few months.

I got it from a guy on GB. He happened to have a spare and I bought it in a package deal.

Very nice. Where did you find the front handguard?

Same thing, bought them in a package deal. However they are not real hard to find on GB.

Nice gun! Man, I hated the M16 with a passion when I was in though.

My goal was to replicate the hated, USGI killing, M16. This is the one issued without the cleaning kit that caused all the issues early on.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Received a PM asking about the engraving.

These guys did it:
    http://identmarking.com/index.php/shop/firearm-marking/ar-m16-marking-2-50-detail

Engraving the logo, $75
    Auto, $20
    Fake Pin $20
    deep engraving $20

It ran about $150 after shipping. Not cheap but I think they did a good job. I do wish it was maybe a little wider to match the Nodak Spud stamping a little better, but still great job. They had all the artwork, just had to tell them which model M16 logo I wanted, they did the rest. I would sure use them again. Wait was a bit long but thats because they are really busy because of the Trust changes coming. Everyone is getting SBRs engraved.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Received a PM asking about the engraving.

These guys did it:
    http://identmarking.com/index.php/shop/firearm-marking/ar-m16-marking-2-50-detail

Engraving the logo, $75
    Auto, $20
    Fake Pin $20
    deep engraving $20

It ran about $150 after shipping. Not cheap but I think they did a good job. I do wish it was maybe a little wider to match the Nodak Spud stamping a little better, but still great job. They had all the artwork, just had to tell them which model M16 logo I wanted, they did the rest. I would sure use them again. Wait was a bit long but thats because they are really busy because of the Trust changes coming. Everyone is getting SBRs engraved.

I had Ident do the engraving for my SBR about 5 months ago. They did a great job and turn around time wasn't to bad. Maybe 2.5 weeks door to door. I chose them because they were one of two companies capable of engraving my info inside the trigger guard. I also chose them because after speaking with one of the owners, who happens to be a former MD resident, I was more impressed with their CS compared to the other company's. I couldn't even get someone from the other company to answer the phone.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I had Ident do the engraving for my SBR about 5 months ago. They did a great job and turn around time wasn't to bad. Maybe 2.5 weeks door to door....

Yeah thats about their standard time. I mailed this off Mid December and got it back a two days ago... Now they were off for Christmas but they are very busy right now. Yes I found them very easy to deal with.

Blalock

Apr 1, 2009
    Kingsville, MD
    Here is the one that I did. Obviously not historically accurate but I was going for the battlefield pick up look.

Attachments

• photo_1.JPG
      photo_1.JPG
      60.4 KB · Views: 1,353

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Looks good! I wish I would've gotten a retro lower before the ban. :( I was in the USAF so I would've done the AF version. I will point out that while the Army used more frequently, the Air Force used them in battle as well.

Yeah the AF M16 is a pretty cool version too. I came very close to doing that one too. Actually it would have been easier. I was not trying to take anything away from the AF but when I think of a gun, I think army. Frankly it came down to what the Air Cav used in We Were Soldiers. They seemed to have used Xm16E1s, so thats what I did.

Royal Tiger importers has early M-16 kits on sale right now for $299. all you need is the barrel and receiver.

Yeah, there are a ton of M16A1 kits out there right now. They are great kits but I wanted to go a little earlier.

Here is the one that I did. Obviously not historically accurate but I was going for the battlefield pick up look.

Its a nice looking M16A1! I like it.

Blalock

Apr 1, 2009
    Kingsville, MD
    Yeah, there are a ton of M16A1 kits out there right now. They are great kits but I wanted to go a little earlier.

Its a nice looking M16A1! I like it.

Thanks! I wish I would have thought about a retro build prior to October. I really wanted to do one like yours. Since I didn't I figured I'd try to do it on the cheap and grabbed one of the kits. She's a beater for sure but it shoots smooth as butter!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Finally got it out this weekend and shot it for the first time. It did not blow up! ;) It shoot great, guess I can add AR to the list of guns I have "built". Needs to be sighted in but otherwise it shot perfect with some wolf. I have never shot one without the brass deflector. It really does kick the brass backwards. Shooting lefty with it would not seem realistic.

Still not sure what I will do as far as either refinishing vs aging... maybe I will leave it as is for a little while and see how it grow on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom