• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Tell me how the fvck this is even legal? Make bad “investments” and get a taxpayer funded bailout? Getting so tired of this sh*tt!

View attachment 391403
    Or the banking sector getting bailed out. Or Fannie and Freddie getting bailed out. Or states getting bailed out. Or insert most anything.

Government has been bailing out lots of things after stupid or criminal mismanagement since Government started existing. Usually it happens because innocent people are impacted.

The employees didn't F anything up. Their corporate overlords did and left them with the bill.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Yup, and everyone with a pension got screwed. Then taxpayers got to foot the bill.

Some were even forced to repay some of their pensions.

But the rich took their piece.
    Then Wilbur Ross, a billionaire corporate raider did to the steel industry what he had previously done to the textile industry. Being 45 minutes from the Bethlehem PA location, I know a lot of people that were affected.
    Believe me I know I grew up in Bethlehem across the street from the blast furnaces. The town went from bustling blue collar middle class where everyone had a good paying job to no work, people losing their homes alcohol and drugs after losing everything. A lot if people left as I did.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Societies haven't solved this problem: there is a group of people who always figure out how to screw the rest. They end up dead after a long life and didn't lose their heads while the rest suffers. I have no idea how to solve this problem.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Believe me I know I grew up in Bethlehem across the street from the blast furnaces. The town went from bustling blue collar middle class where everyone had a good paying job to no work, people losing their homes alcohol and drugs after losing everything. A lot if people left as I did.
    We lived down the street in Hellertown in the early 70s and remember the cokeworks smell almost every morning. Then went to the Crossroads for a beer and cheesesteak. Ahh the good old days.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    We lived down the street in Hellertown in the early 70s and remember the cokeworks smell almost every morning. Then went to the Crossroads for a beer and cheesesteak. Ahh the good old days.
    Saucon Park was my favorite hangout as a kid. Little league baseball and that swimming pool. There was a soda factory in Hellertown where my dad would get a case of cream soda for us all the time. A-Treat sodas?.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    This is Biden repaying the unions for their support. Biden is loyal to whomever greases his palm. Credit card companies, unions, CCP, etc.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    This is Biden repaying the unions for their support. Biden is loyal to whomever greases his palm. Credit card companies, unions, CCP, etc.
    I’m m sure your right but I’m also sure those pension recipients are going to have a great Christmas and life moving forward.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’m m sure your right but I’m also sure those pension recipients are going to have a great Christmas and life moving forward.
    My dad was an IRS agent designated with auditing these pension plans years ago. He called them out. A lot of shenanigans and they weren’t being properly funded or managed. Part of the payout includes a rule change to allow them to be even more reckless with the money and how they invest it. It’s effectively taking $90B and temporarily paying back his unions, the system will collapse as soon as they run though the money.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    My father was part of the Bethlehem Steel debacle.

The way he explained it to me back in the day. The union wanted control of the pension plan because Bethlehem wasn't funding the pension they way they should. The union thought they could manage it better. Human nature being what it is, the union leaders started to live large.

When the time that Bethlehem shut their doors. The union said there were problems with the pension fund and then pension benefit guarantee corporation (PBGC) took over the fund. The PBGC is the FDIC for pension plans. They looked at the pot of money and divided it up. The older guys got something, the middle guys got a little, and the younger ones got nothing.

Well, I wouldn't say "nothing".
    For 17 years service, I get to start collecting an enormous pension of $171/month (PBGC) when I turn 60.... /sarcasm

All i can say is for 15 years I’ve worked for an entity that 15 years ago promised me something, which is why i took the job! If In 12-13 years that promise doesn’t ring true heaven help everyone involved.

Good Luck to you. Promises were what made me leave a decent job to go to Bethlehem Steel and waste 1/2 of my employed life away with nothing to show for it, but memories...which don't pay the fvcking bills.

Someone mentioned Wilbur Ross above...
    He was indeed one of the cannibalizers of Bethlehem Steel...and, was also Trump's Secretary of Commerce his whole term.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Well, I wouldn't say "nothing".
    For 17 years service, I get to start collecting an enormous pension of $171/month (PBGC) when I turn 60.... /sarcasm

Good Luck to you. Promises were what made me leave a decent job to go to Bethlehem Steel and waste 1/2 of my employed life away with nothing to show for it, but memories...which don't pay the fvcking bills.

Someone mentioned Wilbur Ross above...
    He was indeed one of the cannibalizers of Bethlehem Steel...and, was also Trump's Secretary of Commerce his whole term.
    I mentioned Mr. Ross. He is just one of the “Gordon Gecko’s” out there. An ex GF was a victim of Carl Icahn when he raided TWA. He was also another one of Trump’s financial advisors.

I’m all for moving retirement funding to the individual. Between failed pensions, bad corporate decisions, raiders, executive compensation hundreds of times above average worker rates, golden parachutes no matter if they boosted stock or ran things to the ground, it’s obvious that protecting their workforce is not a high priority. Also getting it out of government hands to be used like a drunken pre-Christmas credit card spending binge.

Getting my retirement money in to an account that is mine, or my beneficiary, suits me fine. Figure out ways to protect me from myself. Company matching plans, in to my account. Whatever it takes to actually protect my nest egg, not exposing it to outside forces, and f#€£ ups.

I read this a while ago, and it seems viable. This, or some variation of the plan, seems like it could work better than what we have now. And be cheaper.

Last edited:

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I mentioned Mr. Ross. He is just of the “Gordon Gecko’s” out there. An ex GF was a victim of Carl Icahn when he raided TWA. He was also another one of Trump’s financial advisors.

I’m all for moving retirement funding to the individual. Between failed pensions, bad corporate decisions, raiders, executive compensation hundreds of times above average worker rates, golden parachutes no matter if they boosted stock or ran things to the ground, it’s obvious that protecting their workforce is not a high priority. Also getting it out of government hands to be used like a drunken pre-Christmas credit card spending binge.

Getting my retirement money in to an account that is mine, or my beneficiary, suits me fine. Figure out ways to protect me from myself. Company matching plans, in to my account. Whatever it takes to actually protect my nest egg, not exposing it to outside forces, and f#€£ ups.
    I agree. But you left out corrupt union rep pensions as well.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I will allegedly collect a pension of I can make it another 1,299 days in my job. I don't trust the government not to screw me, so I have also been putting money on a 457 deferred comp plan and a little bit into some 401k plans.

If my pension doesn't come through for some reason, I'll be rightly pissed, but I don't put all my eggs on one basket. Granted, I've lost about $200k in my plans since Brandon took office, but hopefully it will come back.

Pensions are promised, but I'm one of those people that is hesitant to believe...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    A-Treat makes the best Birch Beer.
    Postie’s was better. Especially the big local picnics that had barrels of the white birch beer, that as young boys, we could mix up half and half with whatever beer was on tap. It looked the same, and as long as you weren’t causing problems, nobody really cared.

But it really was very tasty birch.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I agree. But you left out corrupt union rep pensions as well.

We stumbled upon a complete United Steelworkers of America Union "employee" (as in paid, and employed by, the union, not a union "member") pay schedule, shortly before "The Point" closed. The MINIMUM salary for a receptionist, (the lowest "job" listed, was six figures...we found dozens and dozens of pages of USWA union employee pay records, and couldn't believe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom