• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I've searched but can't find the answer. Is a retired MD Leo exempt from the classroom/training requirement for a Utah cc permit? Are they also exempt from the training and live fire for Floridas permit? I'm well aware of LEOSA way but that is not a option due to medical reasons.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Utah Public Safety Code 53-5-704(5) states:

The bureau shall issue a concealed firearm permit to a former peace officer who departs full-time employment as a peace officer, in an honorable manner, within five years of that departure if the officer meets the requirements of this section.

The requirements are in section (8):

(a) General familiarity with the types of firearms to be concealed includes training in:
    (i) the safe loading, unloading, storage, and carrying of the types of firearms to be concealed; and
    (ii) current laws defining lawful use of a firearm by a private citizen, including lawful self-defense, use of force by a private citizen, including use of deadly force, transportation, and concealment.
    (b) An applicant may satisfy the general familiarity requirement of Subsection (8)(a) by one of the following:
    (i) completion of a course of instruction conducted by a national, state, or local firearms training organization approved by the bureau;
    (ii) certification of general familiarity by a person who has been certified by the bureau, which may include a law enforcement officer, military or civilian firearms instructor, or hunter safety instructor; or
    (iii) equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in an organized shooting competition, law enforcement, or military service.
    (c) Instruction taken by a student under Subsection (8) shall be in person and not through electronic means.

I'm guessing you might have an issue with 8(a)(ii) unless you were a Utah police officer. I would recommend taking a Utah CFP course which normally includes the fingerprints, photos, and postage of your application to Utah. It's normally a 4-hour classroom-only course and if you were exempt from the training, you would probably spend half the $60-$75 in fingerprints, photos and postage anyway. I know I paid $27 for my fingerprints and another $8 for my photo for my Utah instructor packet.

Last edited:

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I do my LEOSA quals through Prince George Com Col. They take it easy on retirees. I've even seen a one legged amputee qualify. The instructor didn't make him kneel or anybody else with bad knees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom