• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    "You the man"...Mag.... great work and great documentation.
    Man you need to go into autobody work also...

shop down here has 2 used 1911's maybe project guns "if" we
    can wheel n deal.

starting on my benches this week, so gotz some place to work on my "projects"
    building / working on some 1911's, MP5 kits, and the asst. other kits in boxes.

Found some 1911 jigs, Frames, barrels, slides...and more parts...in the goodie bin.

"Mag "keep up the great work, always like seeing your builds, and you take on things.

-Rock

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A little more. Musical slide. Dug out the 45 ACP switch top to the 45 Super pistol. The slide was very snug on the Ruger frame.
    A little lapping with garnet paste then polishing compound. Refit the barrel. Blended the rear of the slide and frame. Serrated the rear of the slide, 30 LPI. As an after thought I relieved the rear of the slide frame rails/ways, kind of a shadow box effect. I like it but now I have to go back in and reblend the frame rails to the slide. I expected that.
    I shot it last Sunday. Target pics included show the group potential and how the shots drifted left and low as the distance increased. I drifted the rear sight right and got the groups centered. Shooting was at the distances indicated, standing, two handed, Blazer Brass ball. It works.

IMG_9065.jpeg
    IMG_9067.jpeg
    IMG_9069.jpeg
    IMG_9100.jpeg
    IMG_9071.jpeg
    IMG_9103.jpeg
    IMG_9098.jpeg
    IMG_9098.jpeg
    IMG_9097.jpeg
    IMG_9096.jpeg

Last edited:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Mag...great work as always ( I know repeating myself ) May have to "drop" some off
    to you for The "Mag Special" work over...gotta ask whats the next "projects"?
    Picked up a: ROCK ISLAND ROCK STANDARD FS TACTICAL 45 ACP 5" 8RD PISTOL, PARKERIZED - 51431
    New for $320.. to warm over. The shop down here is holding onto my offer for the other 1911's. Got my
    eyes on a 10mm 1911, waiting for the price to drop some more.... so many choices.. working on the
    Baby Rock off and on, plus a SS 80% frame, but building more benches.

-Rock

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Hey, Rock!. Flattered you want the 'Mag Special'. We can talk about it. You'll like the 10mm.
    It is a different experience with that much recoil in a 1911. Not bad, but you know you just
    unleashed a potent round. There are things you can do to help ease the harshness of the recoil.

The hottest affordable 1911's now, especially on the 1911 forums, seems to be the Tisas pistols.
    They are not perfect as some would enthusiastically feel, but are sound bases to work on. That
    9mm I ran that thread on...I shoot the snot of it! Its a hoot...9mm in a full size steel gun. Worth
    a few seconds in a steel shoot.

New projects I am really pumped up about will be (2) CCO patterned pistols. This pattern
    is a 1911 Officer model frame with a Commander (4.25") slide/barrel. Dust covers are the same
    length on the Officer and Commander models. Officer Model grip frame is shorter. It loses one
    round of mag capacity. One will be aluminum lightweight and the other will steel frame.
    Both serialized 80%. Both in 9mm. Round butted, not extreme but I get favorable feedback from
    it. I use this pattern aluminum frame pistol as one of my carry pistols. I am not really into chopped
    pistols, but this pattern shoots very well.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Mag,
    Sounds great, will like to talk further.

Your project(s) sound interesting, question,
    Know it's a matter of preference you like the Aluminum frames? I go the steel or Stainless Steel route here.
    Thoughts? other than weight

On the Tisas may just get the 2 down here..and get with you about them, what you did, etc. Some thoughts
    Plus some other things.

The only small, compact or chopped if you want to call them they are a Para Warthog, and the Baby Rock BBR 3.10 45's.

Please keep us updated on the builds, always look forward to them.

Be safe
    -Rock

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I greatly prefer metal frames. I do not care for polymers but not a t-totaller. The reason for the aluminum frame was strictly weight. That gun was built for me to carry. The other factor…well…it wasn’t a polymer. And…I wanted so see how the aluminum frame 1911’s shoot.

I do have plans for a full size Government size 1911. I will bobtail that. So you can see that is strictly built as a carry gun, as well.

I like the double carry guns thing you have going on there. On those Tisas...we’ll get together on that.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Here is a pic of the CCO I mentioned, in its final form, complete with night sights. I’ll probably just AlumiBlack it. If the feedramp gets banged up I’ll have it machined and have a steel ramp installed. Or machine it for a ramped barrel and fit a barrel.

It feeds very well. Pic of the two rounds on the magazine. The one on the left has been into the pistol after practice shooting a few times. No setback. Pic of the feedramp exhibits no damage yet after about 300 rounds (damage occurs from jacketed bullets hitting the softer aluminum).
    IMG_9190.jpeg
    IMG_9191.jpeg
    IMG_9193.jpeg
    IMG_9194.jpeg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Nice work! About the only thing I'm not crazy about with what you did for the pistol was the texturing on the front strap - that aesthetic isn't my cup of tea, although I do concede the point that form follows function, so for a gun that's a rebuild, not collectible per se, and built to be a shooter, I understand how it improves things overall.

Nice thread!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I guess are referring to yhe full size build relative to the texturing, I imagine. Thank you. Those kinds of things, like the texturing, can be trendy. That texturing is my design, not a learned process.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It is becoming one of my pistols…
    Opening up the magwell a bit. Except for gun games, I actually prefer this over an actual magwell. With practice it can be fast. Opening increase is considerable in practical use though it may not appear to be. I am not foolish enough to think as fast as a magwell.

Also, I couldn’t get passed the where bottom of slide rails and frame meet. Dressed them up a bit.
    IMG_9155.jpeg
    IMG_9150.jpeg
    IMG_9158.jpeg
    IMG_9156.jpeg
    IMG_9199.jpeg
    IMG_9200.jpeg

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Love watching you transform these 1911s. Thanks for taking time to share the journey with so many pics. Almost makes me drag out a 1911 and some files. Almost.

Jul 1, 2012
    "Serrated the rear of the slide, 30 LPI. "
    Is there a practical reason for that? Just curious... the edges look sharp as sheet.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The serrations reduce chance of glare which can affect vision acuity.

And there is a bling factor.

I have never really had much issue with glare but find the whole dark back of the slide and sight allows me to locate the rear sight notch quicker after recoil.

My carry guns do not have it. At least at this time they don’t.

The serrations can be sharp but I haven’t had any practical issue with them relative to gun handling. On a full dehorn or carry gun I would definitely knock the corners down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom