• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Okay, I was a approached about buying some 1911 stuff. Shown the parts and price I accepted.

Parts was a factory SR1911. Firing pin, spring, and stop were gone. I was told they tried to get it back together but couldn't. Examination revealed frame left side grips screw bushings were stripped.

Payment realizing even if there was a cracked slide the frame was worth the money. Payment was made, MSP protocol followed and 7 days later I picked it up.

First to verify if anything catastrophic had occurred. Nope.

Discovered the frame assembly was an anomoly...or should I say how Ruger is building the full size 1911's now. Ruger's earlier and other full size 45 caliber 1911's use a thinner ejector.

The reason the gun would not go back together is this full size gun was built with a 9mm ejector! This ejector is wider, requires a slide milled for it, and a 45 firing pin stop will not clear it when putting the slide on the frame...conventionally. The feedramp isn't cut super deep. For those of you into caliber conversions on 1911's this means 9mm, 10/40, 38 Super and related case rounds may work. Which is something I may try...not sure, not fond of conversion pistols.

What I did...
    ~ tapped for and installed oversize grip screw bushings;
    ~ fitted an EGW flat bottom firing pin stop;
    ~ tuned the extractor;
    ~ replaced the trigger and hammer and did a trigger job;
    ~ refit and blended the thumb safety;
    ~ adjusted for more shallow grip safety deactivation;
    ~ recrowned the muzzle, fitted a barrel bushing, and accurized the pistol;
    ~ deburred the inside of the recoil spring plug and smoothed out the recoil spring guide.

Not a major redo, but to make it a better gun than it was. Now time to test fire.

Before pics attached. Stripped grip screw bushing holes pics also.
    IMG_8811.jpeg
    IMG_8812.jpeg
    IMG_8813.jpeg

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    IMG_8841.jpeg

Blend thumb safety…again so thumb safety frame cutout is not exposed. May be putting a different grip safety on it so leaving it as is for the time being.

Pistol’s present profile.
    IMG_8841.jpeg
    IMG_8819.jpeg
    IMG_8820.jpeg

Pistol’s blast ring is getting the Breakfree soak.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a takeoff grip safety from another SR1911 project. So I fitted the frame close to the grip safety, then decided to better fit the grip safety to the frame. All this to leave metal just in case I decide to change to a different grip safety.

Barrel shot well, enough...but...since this pistol is growing on me I had a RRA barrel I wanted to try out. The vast rail clearances didn't help any (yep, finally measured them). So a test fire is in order tomorrow.

Started modding the front strap and readying it for texturing...
    IMG_8894.jpeg
    IMG_8896.jpeg
    IMG_8888.jpeg
    IMG_8890.jpeg
    IMG_8891.jpeg
    IMG_8893.jpeg
    IMG_8907.jpeg

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Thank you. This one is definitely growing on me.

I prefer wood stocks, but VZ makes nice proportioned synthetics. The textures are good, too. The stocks are hand filling in just the right dimensions. Ever so slightly thick but good. Instinctive point is good.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Okay, I did the woolly mammoth thing on the front strap. Still some cleanup to do.
    I am not sure why I am doing all this...there's a mile of slop in the rail fit. The guys at the range said there was no telling how many rounds were through it. Not bad...oodles of ball rounds and one broken firing pin stop...a MIM one at that.
    Timed the grip screws to coincide with the panels' rear serrations.
    The magwell is next.
    image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3 (2).jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Evened out scallop bevel of the thumb safety.
    Use sandpaper to lightly blast texture the thumb safety.
    Oxpho-Blu’d the grip safety and thumb safety.
    Cleaned up some of the front strap texturing.
    And when I timed the grip screws I also recessed them.
    IMG_8923.jpeg
    IMG_8924.jpeg
    IMG_8926.jpeg
    IMG_8927.jpeg
    IMG_8928.jpeg
    IMG_8929.jpeg
    IMG_8930.jpeg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Shot the pistol yesterday. Three pictures of 4 groups, on the same target, at three different distances. Shot grouos identified in pictures. Shooting was done two handed , standing, WWB ball ammunition.
    IMG_8944.jpeg
    IMG_8945.jpeg
    IMG_8946.jpeg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Got home…the project didn’t feel done. The sloppy frame/slide fit needed to be attended to. Costly to fix. So I made measurements, tried a couple slides. From all that info I selected a very nice takeoff Springfield Mil-Spec slide. Fitting wasn’t too involved. Cut lateral clearance in half. Vertical clearance both front and rear under .0010”.

Fitted the barrel, checked timing, new ejector and firing pin stop was needed.

This setup feels like twice the gun. The difference in cycling character is night and day since there is far less ‘rattle’ in operation. Nice two tone effect. Function tests 100%. Will shoot it then make necessary blends needed as seen in pictures.
    IMG_8978.jpeg
    IMG_8979.jpeg
    IMG_8980.jpeg
    IMG_8981.jpeg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Well, a little more done to the pistol. File off the checkering, trued it up. Did the patterning, applied a bevel, shortened the pin, apied Aluminum Black.

Also some are not going to like the thumb safety. Whether in the safe or fire position the top edge of the plate behind the paddle was proud of the frame, probably because the safety cutout in the slide is different than on the Ruger slide. So, I relieved that section. In the safe position (up) the frame contour and the plate meet at one tiny point.
    IMG_9021.jpeg
    IMG_9023.jpeg
    IMG_9022.jpeg
    IMG_9024.jpeg
    IMG_9025.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads