Repub Gun Controllers: That was then, now is now.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    Friends,

My wife and I had dinner with some old friends yesterday evening, and during the adult beverage period the conversation got around to gun control and the Republican nomination. Someone pointed out that both Newt and Mitt have a history of supporting gun controls, and it would be really, really hard for him, a gun rights enthusiast, to support either of them. That's the part of the conversation that I want to take into this forum.

To him I say, "Well, Buttercup, that was then and now is now".

Can any of us remember an unalterable position taken by a political candidate that was not subject to change? What about, "Read my lips: New new taxes"? "Remember how long that lasted? And most of us consequently swore not to support Bush 41's second term. We didn't, and that Clinton fellow won. So how did that work out for us? That is just one example. The field is littered with discarded political promises. If you need more examples to establish the point, Google is your friend. Make some popcorn.

A politician's purpose, whatever it takes, is to petrify in office. Honesty and commitment to others has never been a part of the job description. You want integrity? Why are you looking in government offices?

But our side is on an upswing and things are changing. We might be well served by making sure the incipient tectonic shift towards gun rights (see multiple recent stories in the vulgar press) is recognized. If nothing else, link to favorable articles and pass them on to your email list. Eventually your links will make it to campaign offices. Help insure that whoever runs for office recognizes gun rights are alive and growing.

Now, about Newt or Mitt . . . it would be nearly impossible to find a viable (i.e., able to win the nomination and subsequently having a reasonable chance to defeat Mr. Obama) candidate who has not a checkered past. Have we forgotten how very favorably the electorate viewed ever-stricter gun controls in the two generations between President Kennedy's assassination in late 1963 until the Heller decision in June, 2008? Pretty much a candidate had to favor "reasonable" (and pretty much every anti-gun proposal was deemed "reasonable" at birth) restrictions to have a chance of being elected. It was so bad that even the NRA gave up on pro-gun legislation until the Cincinatti Revolt in 1977. Almost anybody who held elected office prior to Heller would now be viewed as an opponent whom my pure friend "will never vote for!" His attitude concedes the field to our opponents. Let's try not do that.

Our power is not only to inform whoever the nominee is about Heller and McDonald and whatever subsequent favorable SCOTUS decision(s) might materialize by the 2012 election, but also to keep his feet to the fire during his first term, thus to reduce the possibility of unfavorable actions during his second term -- when he has nothing to lose.

So to those who stand ankle deep in their dignity and exclaim "I won't vote for him because he once voted for a bill I didn't support!", I say getting pissy and refusing to kiss the girl because she once kissed another won't get us into anyone's bed.

Cordially,
    John

Cross-posted CalGuns / Maryland Shooters

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I will support anyone but Newt, having said that....
    "Congressman Ron Paul, you appear to have consistent, principled integrity, uhh, Americans don't usually go for that."
    - Jon Stewart on the "Daily Show"

Recoil45

Jul 29, 2011
    NY
    Yes times are certainly different now. There was time when both sides were taking from us. Now it is pretty much single sided with the very rare example.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I think part of the issue is that we are not used to seeing politicians honestly change their mind; and not just "flip flop."

We aren't really used to a politician who is saying "I made mistakes; I changed."

I respect someone who can admit their mistakes, and learn from them, if they are sincere.

"Success is the result of making many, many mistakes and learning from those mistakes." Winston Churchill.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Elect me president. I'll slash the federal government down to 30% of it's current size.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    If we are not going to steer away from the cliff, but just slow down some... F it, let Obama keep the wheel and put the hammer down, why prolong the inevitable?

1.) You might be able to get control of the wheel.

2.) What makes you think the crash will be a return to small government and not an installation of the USSA.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Friends,

Now, about Newt or Mitt . . . it would be nearly impossible to find a viable (i.e., able to win the nomination and subsequently having a reasonable chance to defeat Mr. Obama) candidate who has not a checkered past.

Cross-posted CalGuns / Maryland Shooters

Other than Ron Paul, who's non-viable campaign is either in 2nd or 3rd depending on who you believe.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    this is veering back into direct competition with the other thread. No need to have two of the same argument discussion going on.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom