• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    How often should I replace mag springs in my handgun mags?

I'm concerned about my G19 mags, atm. I have 4 that I use for range use, and have seen about 10k or maybe a little bit more through them. No, I have not had any malfunctions yet, but I'd like to take action before they occur.

I see mag springs are around $7...followers around $3...

How often do you guys replace yours? Or do you just buy new mags altogether?

Ultimate Member
    How often should I replace mag springs in my handgun mags?

I'm concerned about my G19 mags, atm. I have 4 that I use for range use, and have seen about 10k or maybe a little bit more through them. No, I have not had any malfunctions yet, but I'd like to take action before they occur.

I see mag springs are around $7...followers around $3...

How often do you guys replace yours? Or do you just buy new mags altogether?

Are your magazines official GLOCK mags with the G on it? The Korean ones or whatever knock offs out there are really bad sometimes. I know because I've stocked up on some during some panic periods.

Glock mags usually stay good for a while, decades even with heavy use. Usually the plastic followers should not wear too much.

Where are these springs from? If they are not factory they could be inferior quality.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Are your magazines official GLOCK mags with the G on it? The Korean ones or whatever knock offs out there are really bad sometimes. I know because I've stocked up on some during some panic periods.

Glock mags usually stay good for a while, decades even with heavy use. Usually the plastic followers should not wear too much.

Where are these springs from? If they are not factory they could be inferior quality.

Nah. Everything is factory stuff. Like I said, I haven't experienced any problem, I just like to plan in advance. Should an AWB be reinstated, would that make it illegal to buy PARTS for those mags? (springs, followers, etc)

Ultimate Member
    Nah. Everything is factory stuff. Like I said, I haven't experienced any problem, I just like to plan in advance. Should an AWB be reinstated, would that make it illegal to buy PARTS for those mags? (springs, followers, etc)

depends on how they write the bill. I mean if you really want to stock up, you can get the +2base/floor plate extensions. Just buy the mags outright. If you are that sure about an AWB you should be buying mags when ever you can. I did that and feel pretty stupid, but it was fun. I'd drive down to VA once a month to a store or my PO box and get glock, AK, .308, AR and other mags. Now they are just sitting in my house.

Factory springs are good. I just don't know people that change them that often. I've actually heard the opposite, people don't want to change them since new springs have to be broken in. I also hear about people who dump their mags every 10 years or so.

Given that the springs stay good for a while, I'd buy a few and then come up with some plan to buy other mags. Set a limit for yourself and reach it.

Say you want 20 or 50 glock 17 mags and buy them over the course of the year. Whatever you think is right.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    About every 7k rounds I swap mine out.
    I use Wolf +10% springs and have 0 problems.
    Followers never.
    I do have a friend who had a GLOCK 26 puke out the bottom last month.
    The pistol was sitting on his desk and the base plate let loose after 10 years.
    Spring shot across his cubicle and bullets rolled across his desk.
    I guess you should change them every now and then as well.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    About every 7k rounds I swap mine out.
    I use Wolf +10% springs and have 0 problems.
    Followers never.
    I do have a friend who had a GLOCK 26 puke out the bottom last month.
    The pistol was sitting on his desk and the base plate let loose after 10 years.
    Spring shot across his cubicle and bullets rolled across his desk.
    I guess you should change them every now and then as well.

Damn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom