• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QM2

Nov 27, 2013
    Maryland
    Had my AR inspected the other day (by a Colt Armorer) and the firing pin has to be replaced to due to wear and tear. Approximately 700-800 rounds fired, bought it brand new....any one have a similar issue?

To me, 700-800 rounds really isn't that much.... thoughts?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    You were with a "Colt Armorer"? What did he say? He's supposed to be an expert.

Take out your bolt carrier and flip it over. Is the firing pin completely covered or is there about a half-inch of the pin showing? If so, you have an "unshrouded firing pin" and it is subject to being chewed up by the trigger when it resets.

If you have a new Colt, you should have a full-auto bolt carrier, which would have a shrouded firing pin.

Look at the bolt carriers on this website page. Which one do you have?

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=599711

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You were with a "Colt Armorer"? What did he say? He's supposed to be an expert.

Take out your bolt carrier and flip it over. Is the firing pin completely covered or is there about a half-inch of the pin showing? If so, you have an "unshrouded firing pin" and it is subject to being chewed up by the trigger when it resets.

If you have a new Colt, you should have a full-auto bolt carrier, which would have a shrouded firing pin.

Look at the bolt carriers on this website page. Which one do you have?

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=599711

This!

Some colt certified armorer's are complete tards, just like some gunsmiths are. You never know if they are undercover tards.

Last edited:

QM2

Nov 27, 2013
    Maryland
    Great thread/post on AR15.com....thanks for adding that in there! I have the full auto bolt carrier.... Which came with the 6920 socom II I bought. The bottom bolt carrier as it relates to that picture in that thread is basically what I have. i just thought that it was odd that after 7-800 rounds it needed to be replaced.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Had my AR inspected the other day (by a Colt Armorer) and the firing pin has to be replaced to due to wear and tear. Approximately 700-800 rounds fired, bought it brand new....any one have a similar issue?

To me, 700-800 rounds really isn't that much.... thoughts?

What caused you to have it inspected? What make is the rifle? Or is it a table top Frankenrifle?

Under 5,000 rounds an you need a firing pin? :lol2::lol2:

Oh, paying $200 for a one day Colt Armorer course doesn't make anybody a Smith. What gauges did the Armorer use to check the part?

Listen to Lord Clandestine, it won't hurt much:D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you have a fully shrouded carrier, then the fire control isn't damaging the firing pin. But those notcjed hammers colt uses can scar up a good m16 carrier. Either the gun had a used firing pin installed when you bought it, is way over gassed and bending the firing pin retainer, it has an aftermarket retainer, or the bolt tail was aggressively cleaned too often and is allowing blowby gas which slams the firing pin into the retainer.

Are you using a suppressor/silencer on it?

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    So you bought a complete Colt 6920 socom II ? What issues are you seeing? Was the rifle bought from a stocking dealer? Colt has a good warranty, have Colt send a shipping label for return.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What caused you to have it inspected? What make is the rifle? Or is it a table top Frankenrifle?

Oh, paying $200 for a one day Colt Armorer course doesn't make anybody a Smith. What gauges did the Armorer use to check the part?

That made me chuckle 303. :)

I too wonder if he had any gauges. At a minimum a F.P. protrusion gauge, and a plug gauge to check the bolt f.p. opening.

QM2

Nov 27, 2013
    Maryland

What caused me to have my rifle inspected? ...... work.

Make of rifle...... Colt 6920 Socom II.

Not a table top Frankenrifle......nothing against those.

Yes....only 7-800 rounds.....maybe actually just under 1000.

Yes.....paying 200 dollars for a one day armorer course doesn't make you an expert. But I trust the guy.

What gauges?..... no clue. I drop it off.... then pick up when ready.

I would have asked for more detail with the inspection.....but I didn't have the time. Which is why sites like this one are so great and resourceful.

QM2

Nov 27, 2013
    Maryland
    If you have a fully shrouded carrier, then the fire control isn't damaging the firing pin. But those notcjed hammers colt uses can scar up a good m16 carrier. Either the gun had a used firing pin installed when you bought it, is way over gassed and bending the firing pin retainer, it has an aftermarket retainer, or the bolt tail was aggressively cleaned too often and is allowing blowby gas which slams the firing pin into the retainer.

Are you using a suppressor/silencer on it?

I sure hope the gun didn't come with a used firing pin!!! :mad54: LOL

No suppressor on it.....

I actually think that its most likely a lemon batch pin..... it happens....unfortunately. So I get it.....But a little disappointing that you spend X amount of dollars and expect more. Oh well! Gives me another reason to buy some more unneeded crap to save on shipping. :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What caused me to have my rifle inspected? ...... work.

Make of rifle...... Colt 6920 Socom II.

Not a table top Frankenrifle......nothing against those.

Yes....only 7-800 rounds.....maybe actually just under 1000.

Yes.....paying 200 dollars for a one day armorer course doesn't make you an expert. But I trust the guy.

What gauges?..... no clue. I drop it off.... then pick up when ready.

I would have asked for more detail with the inspection.....but I didn't have the time. Which is why sites like this one are so great and resourceful.

Ahh, its a L.E. Armorer. I'll retract my statement then. Those guys usually take their job seriously and don't just make up stuff.

If you are ordering parts some extractor assemblies (get the COLT copper 3 coil spring with black insert and dont use an oring or d fender ring with it), gas rings, and firing pin retainers are always good to have!

If you are a L.E. and are interested in getting to know your AR better, my AR classes will be heavily discounted for L.E.

Its basically an Armorer's Course with a leaning towards the individual owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom