• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I have a WWII ammo .30 cal can that's in pretty spectacular shape for $10 (retail is $25-50), but the rubber gasket that seals it has completely rotted. Since I want to use this thing for WWII reenacting field use, I would like to make sure that it is watertight.

Has anybody ever replaced the seal on an ammo can? What kind of rubber gasket should I use and where can I find it?

Google has lots of ideas, but I'd like to know if someone here has tried a fix that actually works.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    If they are the same size as the current productions ones, maybe you could use one of those. You could get some rubber sheeting (for gaskets) from the hardware store and cut it to fit.

crasher

The general consensus tends to be that you're better off buying/using newer cans with seals you trust for stuff you want to keep airtight, and just relegating the leaky cans to 'general storage bin' duty where 'weathertight' isn't a major issue.

Thats been my experience, and the wisdom of the people I've consulted on this.
    YMMV. Feel free to ignore whatever parts you wish to.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Here is my technique. I strongly suggest you practice it on something first.:innocent0

Buy some black colored RTV silicone in the big tubes that you need a caulk gun for.
    Purloin/buy/rent/borrow a caulk gun.
    Practice running a single smooth bead of the right diameter( preferably on scrap metal).
    Get the channel in the lid & the top seam of the body 101% clean. Use whatever works, alcohol, gasoline paint thinner MEK Etc.
    Put some oil (olive oil Crisco or whatever) on a paper towel till it is evenly damp, but not dripping.
    Rub it round the lip at the top of the body of the can, make sure you go down the sides a bit more than you think you need to.
    Set the body aside while you find something to fit in the can that just lifts the lid evenly off of the metal-to-metal seal.
    Put whatever it is on to the inside of the inverted lid.
    Run that practiced bead round the channel in the lid. Take extra care at the join where you start/end the bead.
    Invert the body & gently lower it onto the inverted lid with the RTV bead.

* really important*
    Go away for 24 hours!
    Gently peel the body away from the lid.

Hey it worked for me. Good luck.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Find someone who's got a rusty or dented 30 cal can offer them $5 and take the seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom