• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Despite the prognostications of others here, no one knows what the final version will allow as far as NR permits go.

I'm thinking it unlikely that a straight up resident permits only goes through because of VT not having a permit period and the difficulty of getting a permit in some states. The Senate version is the more likely one to go through with it's "other than the state of residence" language.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm thinking it unlikely that a straight up resident permits only goes through because of VT not having a permit period and the difficulty of getting a permit in some states. The Senate version is the more likely one to go through with it's "other than the state of residence" language.
    Agree

Both bills provide reciprocity for residents of CC states, but I agree that for those states that are May Issue or no issue for out of state residents, or if CC carry state reciprocity is abandoned, NR permits will still be an option. The bill guarantees reciprocity, so some form of permit would be needed.

Guess we'll see

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    Agree

Both bills provide reciprocity for residents of CC states, but I agree that for those states that are May Issue or no issue for out of state residents, or if CC carry state reciprocity is abandoned, NR permits will still be an option. The bill guarantees reciprocity, so some form of permit would be needed.

Guess we'll see

Man I hope you're right. Not that I have one anymore, but what would happen to those people with the "restricted" permit Maryland issues. Could they then carry out of state?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The Senate version has language that says a restricted permit will be treated as the least restrictive permit a state issues.

The house version does not

So with a restricted MD permit, other states will treat it as an unrestricted permit..

But the final version might not have this. we'll have to wait and see what comes out of conference committee if both houses pass their versions

Attachments

• restrictions.jpg
      restrictions.jpg
      62.8 KB · Views: 327

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Man I hope you're right. Not that I have one anymore, but what would happen to those people with the "restricted" permit Maryland issues. Could they then carry out of state?

Md restrictions ONLY apply in Maryland...

Hi John...:wave:

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    The Senate version has language that says a restricted permit will be treated as the least restrictive permit a state issues.

So with a restricted MD permit, other states will treat it as an unrestricted permit..

But the final version might not have this. we'll have to wait and see what comes out of conference committee if both houses pass their versions

I don't think that's what that means. It means that an out of state permit being used in Maryland has the effect of an unrestricted Maryland permit, not a restricted one.

Chauchat

Jan 16, 2014
    In the free States

But the final version might not have this. we'll have to wait and see what comes out of conference committee if both houses pass their version.

attachment.php

Title 18, Chapter 44, §921. Definitions

(a) As used in this chapter—

(2) The term “interstate or foreign commerce” includes commerce between any place in a State and any place outside of that State, or within any possession of the United States (not including the Canal Zone) or the District of Columbia, but such term does not include commerce between places within the same State but through any place outside of that State. The term “State” includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone).

...and excludes everything else per the supreme Law of the land.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Many years ago, I was carrying in MI. I was getting a snack in a convience store and when I left my jacket exposed my concealed HK. A MSP Officer obeserved my gun and approached me (Hand on gun, but holstered). He asked if I had a permit and I told him yes and where my wallet was. He asked me to face away and he retrieved my wallet as I locked my hands behind my head.

The Michigan State Trooper asked me if I was working and I told him I was not (off clock/after hours). He warned me that my MD permit with restrictions (work only) also applied in MI. He told me to go back to my vehicle and told me not to carry outside of my restrictions again in MI. I know that not a legal ruling, but had I not interacted with his as I did, I may have lost that gun and found out the hard way.

Ain't no way that I will attempt to use a restricted MD Permit in another State for anything outside the restrictions.

BTW, I had a FL Non Resident Permit at the time too, but it's not valid in MI unless I was a FL Resident.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Many years ago, I was carrying in MI. I was getting a snack in a convience store and when I left my jacket exposed my concealed HK. A MSP Officer obeserved my gun and approached me (Hand on gun, but holstered). He asked if I had a permit and I told him yes and where my wallet was. He asked me to face away and he retrieved my wallet as I locked my hands behind my head.

The Michigan State Trooper asked me if I was working and I told him I was not (off clock/after hours). He warned me that my MD permit with restrictions (work only) also applied in MI. He told me to go back to my vehicle and told me not to carry outside of my restrictions again in MI. I know that not a legal ruling, but had I not interacted with his as I did, I may have lost that gun and found out the hard way.

Ain't no way that I will attempt to use a restricted MD Permit in another State for anything outside the restrictions.

BTW, I had a FL Non Resident Permit at the time too, but it's not valid in MI unless I was a FL Resident.

Interesting. I thought other states would not care about restrictions.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Think of it as a Cinderella driver's license.

Other states will expect you to abide by the terms and conditions on which the license was granted to you.

Just another reason to appeal to the handgun board to lift restrictions. Or maybe MSP will add the language “unrestricted while traveling outside of the Great State of Maryland”. :lol2:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Interesting. I thought other states would not care about restrictions.

If we're making comparisons to a driver's license, are driving restrictions in force no matter where you are driving. As an example, if you have a MD Driver's License, and you have a restriction of no driving after dark until dawn, wouldn't those restrictions be enforceable in other states too? If your MD Driver's License has an eyeglass restrictions, doesn't that restriction follow you in all other states too?

I'm just saying......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom