• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have a Stag 2TL with a flash hider with crush washer that I need to remove. I think I already know the answer, but is there a way to get this hider off without a vice and barrel clamp? I already tried the leather strap/vise grips thing, but it didn't work; not even close.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Did you try a little heat? You might also try a strap wrench, and put a magazine in the firearm and set it on some carpet and and use it to help stabilize the firearm as it tries to rotate?

XD Mike

Jan 20, 2010
    Western, MD
    Sit down, put an empty magazine in the rifle, point the barrel upward and clamp onto it with your knees. If I remember correctly it's a 3/4" wrench that fits the flash hider. I have the same exact upper and this worked for me.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I put an electric charcoal starter on mine for about 10 mins.I didn't want to use a torch. It came right off.

electric-charcoal-starter-2.jpg

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Heat gun will also do a nice job of warming it up without ruining the finish and is easily controlled.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Wish I had those tools.

Doubt his tools would be large enough to even chuck into a dremel.

Did you get off the flash hider yet? Heat and some force should get it off relatively easily. You could also make a lower vice block, if you had some woodworking tools. I'm positive I saw a homemade fabbed lower receiver block out of a 2x4 once :lol2:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

Did you get off the flash hider yet? Heat and some force should get it off relatively easily. You could also make a lower vice block, if you had some woodworking tools. I'm positive I saw a homemade fabbed lower receiver block out of a 2x4 once :lol2:

You been talking to my wife or my girlfriend?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

I haven't given it a serious try with these new ideas, yet. I'll get to it this week.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    UPDATE:

Strap wrench did less than vise grips/leather strap. Heating with a heat gun only managed to burn the $&!+ out of my arm.

Are there any local 'smiths that would take it off as a walk-in?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    UPDATE:

Strap wrench did less than vise grips/leather strap. Heating with a heat gun only managed to burn the $&!+ out of my arm.

Are there any local 'smiths that would take it off as a walk-in?

Here is the $64,000 question, how long is the barrel? How long is the flash hider you wish to remove? If the barrel is close to 16" in length, with the flash hider included it may be blind pinned to meet ATF rules.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have done all of mine with just an upper receiver block and not a barrel vice. None have taken a ton of force so I'm not worried about breaking the barrel pin. If I really had to muscle on it then I would probably seek a barrel vice. Ben the offer stands that you can borrow my upper block and vice/tools. I'm not far from Hap.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have done all of mine with just an upper receiver block and not a barrel vice. None have taken a ton of force so I'm not worried about breaking the barrel pin. If I really had to muscle on it then I would probably seek a barrel vice. Ben the offer stands that you can borrow my upper block and vice/tools. I'm not far from Hap.

Thanks, Russ. Are you going to be around this weekend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom