• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I asked this last year, but now that we have more members I figured I would ask again.

I'm planning to go camping in the next few weeks, but I don't know where to go yet. I hate campgrounds of any sort, and I don't want to deal with the red tape of National Forests and State Parks. I want to go somewhere remote where I can pitch a tent anywhere I choose and fire a weapon at will. I also do not wish to end up tied to a tree squealing like a pig, Deliverance style. I would prefer somewhere in Virginia since they were gracious enough to send me a CCW permit. :rockon:

Does anyone know of a place like this? Do places like this even exist on the East Coast?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If you want to go over to the Shenandoah Valley, I believe you can just claim a piece of ground in areas like Elkhorn Lake or Todd Lake. These are pretty close to the Hite Hollow range.

This is all about 30-40 minutes west of Staunton, VA.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Those may be my only options, but I was hoping to find somewhere outside of a National Forest. I'm looking for a remote area where I can camp anywhere I please and can fire a weapon around my campsite, or anywhere in the area as long as shooting would not threaten anyone. Back in AZ we used to head up into the forest, find a dirt road at random, stop when we found a good camp spot, and set up a mini firing range next to our camp. AZ has a 1/4 mile rule. As long as there are no people/property within 1/4 mile, you are free to discharge a firearm. Maybe what I am asking for doesn't exist on the densely populated East Coast, or more specifically the Mid-Atlantic region?

Here are the VA National Forest rules concerning firearms:
    What are the laws concerning carrying firearms on National Forest Land?

First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National Forest are State Laws. These laws were developed by the states following establishment of our Cooperative Wildlife Management Agreements. Most notable of the state laws concerns controlling firearms on the National Forest are “cased gun laws”.

Cased Gun Laws: As the name implies, this law requires that all firearms on National Forest be unloaded and kept in a case. Virginia and West Virginia have similar “cased gun laws”. In order to allow hunting, these laws make an exception.

* It is legal to have loaded firearms on National Forest during the authorized general firearms and muzzle loading gun seasons for bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl. This exception is very specific and applies only during the period when it is legal to take these listed species and doesn’t include carrying the loaded weapons in a vehicle.
    * Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general firearms deer season.
    * The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a primitive weapons season or chase only season.
    * Concealed handguns may be in the possession of hunters during the archery and muzzleloading seasons when they also possess a valid concealed handgun permit. Such handguns may not be used to shoot wild animals during these seasons.

Discharging a firearm, crossbow, or bow and arrow in or across a road or within the right-of-way of any road is prohibited by both State and Federal Law.

Any person convicted of a felony may not legally possess firearms on National Forest.

Reckless use or handling firearms: It is a violation of both Federal and State law to handle any firearm in a careless and reckless manner or hunt while under the influence of intoxicants or narcotic drugs.

TARGET SHOOTING - Target shooting is prohibited on the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests by an Order signed in February of 1996. Target shooting on National Forest should be accomplished only at approved ranges.

So according to that I can legally carry concealed since I have a VA permit, but I wouldn't be able to actually fire the weapon unless I go to a range. Damn.

jorjohn11

Feb 26, 2006
    Anne Arundel County
    Shenandoah Valley is the right place, but take 33 out of Harrisonburg and cross over Shenandoah mountain into West Virginia. Before you come completely off the mountain there will be a sign that points to the shooting range back in the forest about a mile or so. I know people camp all throughout there. I don't know about permit requirements. I have family all around that area and camp on there farms. I have driven all the way through the forest and shot at the range.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Bump. This has become my annual quest. We have quite a few new members now, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Please see the original post at the top...

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    One of our new members was saying something about owning 90 acres in WV:innocent0

CronusTRD

Creeper
    Mar 1, 2007
    George Washington National Forest is nice. If you have a 4wd, there are many trails that can take you deep into the woods away from all civilization.

Green Ridge State Park in MD has a range as well.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I just found a place out in Gore VA just west of Winchester called Cove Campgrounds, they are friendly and even have shooting area in the campgrounds.

They have a number of campsites in varying levels of seclusion and plenty of trails for hiking, 4 wheeling and other such. They have plenty of back country area I assume you would be allowed to camp on to get away from the "campgrounds" side of things, but you would have to ask them about it. You should be able to find somewhere to meet your needs in there 3000 some odd acres.

I'm not sure if they are what you're looking for but drop them a line they are very friendly and will be able to give you more info than I can.

http://www.vvalley.com/cove/

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    deliverance.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you with the author of the "Every 48 Hours" report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom