• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Anybody have any information on these pistols? This one belonged to my late grandfather, and has always been a curious piece to me. I'd like to find out what year it was manufactured, and what the little anchor stamps (one on the bottom of the grip safety, and another on the right side of the trigger guard) on it signify. I'd also like to know how to disassemble the slide, if possible.

Attachments

• pistol 3.JPG
      pistol 3.JPG
      16.1 KB · Views: 230
    • pistol 4.JPG
      pistol 4.JPG
      26.3 KB · Views: 313
    • pistol 5.JPG
      pistol 5.JPG
      19.2 KB · Views: 316
    • pistol 1.JPG
      pistol 1.JPG
      51.2 KB · Views: 233
    • pistol 2.JPG
      pistol 2.JPG
      51.3 KB · Views: 245

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't think the anchor is any sort of military proof.

The pistol in the photos is an early model; you can tell by the wide serrations in the slide. I assume it's 380, as the 32ACP model dodn't come out until later, when the serrations were cut in the more familiar style.

It's said to be one of the most ergonomic designs; Pederson apparently used a large number of people in testing the comfort and poinability of the grips. That said, it seems just a bit small for my hands, in that my trigger finger wants the trigger to be somewhat more forward on the frame than it actually is.

Aftermarket replacement grips are available from the usual suspects. IIRC, they're sopposed to pop out; this can be a problem with real old plastic, as it can crack.

The mechanism is sort of complicated; I haven't taken mine apart yet, since if I lose or break something it'll be difficult to find replacement parts. There's some youtube videos available, and the manufacturer's instructions are on line somewhere.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    I don't think the anchor is any sort of military proof.

The pistol in the photos is an early model; you can tell by the wide serrations in the slide. I assume it's 380, as the 32ACP model dodn't come out until later, when the serrations were cut in the more familiar style.

It's said to be one of the most ergonomic designs; Pederson apparently used a large number of people in testing the comfort and poinability of the grips. That said, it seems just a bit small for my hands, in that my trigger finger wants the trigger to be somewhat more forward on the frame than it actually is.

Aftermarket replacement grips are available from the usual suspects. IIRC, they're sopposed to pop out; this can be a problem with real old plastic, as it can crack.

The mechanism is sort of complicated; I haven't taken mine apart yet, since if I lose or break something it'll be difficult to find replacement parts. There's some youtube videos available, and the manufacturer's instructions are on line somewhere.

I failed to mention the caliber, yes it is a .380. I'd always thought about getting a replacement barrel (atleast one in better shape) for it as it's original is just about shot out. But given how old it is, I may just keep it retired to safe queen status. Probably won't do anything with the grips, I shoot left handed so my pinky pretty much fits right where the chunk on the right grip is missing.

Jul 1, 2012
    This link is referenced at the bottom of the Wiki, has far more info and has detailed field strip instructions with pictures and Utube link at the bottom. Yours was probably made in 1919 based on the serial number. This was before Remington went to the barrel codes (1921-ish) which would have told you month & year for sure. The anchors are inspection marks... I found this link while I was researching the purchase of an early .380 like yours (I had to pass on that one, too much dough!)...

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Rem51/rem51.html

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Interesting pistol. It's got that "Spaceman Spiff" look that the CZ-52 may have copied. I checked GB to see what the market seems to be for these, and the prices being asked are all over the map ... with no current bidders. If I had something like that, that my grandfather had left (and I do), I'd clean it, slightly over-oil it, and put it into the safe.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    CZ52 is an evil-looking pistol, but the bore axis is rather higher than the Remington. Coupled with the 7.62x25, I suspect it kicks a bit.

A nice 51 will run you some money; it's a collector piece, so condition and originality make all the difference.

Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    I have the Gun Digest piece on the Model 51. I'll try to scan it later and post it up as a pdf. American Rifleman also did a "back page" piece on them several years ago.

They're great pistols. I've got an early 51 in .380 that was given to me as a thank you gift years and years ago. It's a joy to shoot.

:)

IMG_6234-copy.jpg

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    I have the Gun Digest piece on the Model 51. I'll try to scan it later and post it up as a pdf. American Rifleman also did a "back page" piece on them several years ago.

They're great pistols. I've got an early 51 in .380 that was given to me as a thank you gift years and years ago. It's a joy to shoot.

:)

IMG_6234-copy.jpg

I might have to get another one, just to have one I can shoot :innocent0

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    "Field stripping" is possibly optimistic. Try this in the field and you'll be permanently disarmed. After the first six minutes or so, I discovered that I will never ever try to field strip this pistol.

YMMV, of course.

Thanks for the video, though.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    "Field stripping" is possibly optimistic. Try this in the field and you'll be permanently disarmed. After the first six minutes or so, I discovered that I will never ever try to field strip this pistol.

YMMV, of course.

Thanks for the video, though.

Sometimes, field stripping is just not worth the effort....well, not on a regular basis, that is. This little pistol looks to be a pain to strip.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Sometimes, field stripping is just not worth the effort....well, not on a regular basis, that is. This little pistol looks to be a pain to strip.

That's why I loooove the CZ pistols so much. Most just require the trigger guard to be clicked down, then the slide to be pulled back and off ... and the spring can be re-installed in either direction (both ends are the same).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom