• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Anyone have experiences they can share with this rifle?
    And any dealers on board care to price one? (order #60005. predator carbine CS. 223 Rem., 18" barrel.)
    Thanks!

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Thanks for the link. Good info. Still wonder if anyone here has first hand experiences with one, and how they feel.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    You guys are discussing two completely different guns. The R-15 is the Ar variant. E. was discussing the new bolt action rifles. My personal opinion is that I can build a better gun much cheaper, but if you like the way it's pakaged and the camo pattern then it may be the gun for you. Especially if you don't have nay interest in building your own. Honestly though for the money there are better Ar's for varminting out there.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's nothing more than a Bushmaster preadator. One of the better ARs made, they ar on par with many of the "premium" brands, and should work just fine. The only difference is the Rem spec camo wrap it uses, and so far it has proven relatively durable, basically ink with a clear protective layer over it. No reason not to get one unless you want to build something that is better and/or cheaper, or want a different camo pattern.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I believe the Remington R-15's are made by DPMS. I havent heard too much good or bad about them. I do know they have been flying off the shelves at the local gun store. They are pretty sweet I think, they are cash and carry:thumbsup:

-Zach

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    I believe the Remington R-15's are made by DPMS. I havent heard too much good or bad about them. I do know they have been flying off the shelves at the local gun store. They are pretty sweet I think, they are cash and carry:thumbsup:

-Zach
    The R-25 in .308 is made by DPMS, the R-15 in .223 is made by Bushy.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    upon looking into it further, The rifles are made to Remington's spec, using a few parts that are specific to remington and not the other companies (not sure what factory actually makes these parts), although Bushmaster helped with the R-15 and DPMS helped with the R-25. It is also common knowledge Cerberus corp owns all 3 companies

[Quote from Byron South:

"I know where you guys are coming from when you say it is a Bushy with a camo job. The float tube and gas block are almost the same but that is pretty much where the similarities end(other than the obvious basic AR design features and standard AR parts).

This comparison to the Bushmaster and other AR's for that matter is very expected and welcomed.

I will see if I can explain how the R-15 is different than the Bushmaster or any other AR currently available.

The float tube looks very similar to the ones Bushmaster puts on their Varminter and Predator rifles, but they aren't identical. First, they are shorter on the 18" gun (Mid-length). They are they same length on the 22" gun. If you will notice there is also less cooling vents on the front portion of the tube. This is to acomodate a space to mount a light rail. There are holes drilled and tapped here to mount the light in the position you desire.

The R-15 also differs from the Bushmaster(and all others)in the barrel configuration. the R-15 is available in 18" and 22" barrel lengths of a slimmer profile than the Bushies. To my knowledge no other AR manufacture including Bushmaster makes barrels configured to these dimensions. To me this is the biggest and most favorable feature on the R-15 vs any currently available AR on the market. Why? First off is the weight differance and secondly is the length. To many the 16's are TOOO loud but very handy. By adding 2 inches to the barrel it makes it significantly more comfortable to shoot but the slimmer barrel still mantains the feel of the larger contoured 16" guns. Remington also wanted a longer rifle but instead of just going with a 20 or 24 like Bushmaster and all the others they settled on a 22" and stayed with the slimmer barrel to keep the weight down.

Yet another differance is the single stage trigger. This trigger was desinged exclusively for the R-15. It is supposed to closely resemble a nice trigger on a bolt gun. I've yet to try one as I like the two stage triggers but I've heard from several people they are a nice trigger and adjusted to about 3.5 pounds from the factory.

The bolt carrier is also slightly different than the Bushies.

In a nut shell, this is a way different gun than the Bushmasters and is the first AR designed from the ground up to accomodate the predator hunter. I know this becasue I help design it. Like I said earlier, comparisons of this rifle with Bushies and others is expected and welcomed but believe me when I say these are not Bushmaster rifles with a Remington roll mark on them.

1. Different barrels (length and contour) button rifled.
    2. Different float tube (drilled and tapped for light rail which is included)
    3. Nice single stage trigger (Two Stage available on signature gun)
    4. Different bolt carrier
    5. Camo is standard.
    6. Less expensive.
    6. also available in .204

I'm not offended that the R-15 is compared to the Bushmaster at all, in fact I think of it as a compliment to the R-15. Remington doesn't hide the fact that Bushmaster was leaned on to an extent for the develoment and production of this rifle. I believe this was a very smart move. I'm not saying any of this in an attempt to distance the R-15 from Bushmaster but simply to say the R-15 is not a Bushmaster with a Remington name taped over it. If you will compare its features you will see it is a completetly different rifle." Byron South

bushmasterPCWVMS%2020FPRED8.jpg

rifle.jpg

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Definately leaning towards it in .223, but will probably look to get a custom build. Still undecided.
    Thanks for the info.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    got one of them with the triangular sst barrel, new in the box. PM and let me know if you would like to stop by and take a look at it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    upon looking into it further, The rifles are made to Remington's spec, using a few parts that are specific to remington and not the other companies (not sure what factory actually makes these parts), although Bushmaster helped with the R-15 and DPMS helped with the R-25. It is also common knowledge Cerberus corp owns all 3 companies

bushmasterPCWVMS%2020FPRED8.jpg

rifle.jpg

we have one of the 18" barrels in stock at basspro now. surprised to see it has a notched hammer:sad20:. loooked to be built pretty well and was super light. big quesiton to figure out was does anyone know if this gun is regulated or if it's considered "except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle"??? the bosspeople at basspro couldn't figure it out. I was leaning towards thinking it would be regulated since it didn't have HBAR on it anywhere(and technically it's not a colt)....but it's a pretty fuddish ar. Anyone know if this thing is cash n carry or if it's regulated?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    get one in .243 :party29:

-Zach

Zach, an AR in .243? I don't think so unless you use the larger R-25/ AR10 platform. The .243 uses a .308 case, right? And the .308 bolt face. They are larger then a 5.56/.223.

You can get a FAL in .243 but one of the moderators on FALFiles doesn't suggest it due to barrel erosion. I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know for sure.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    we have one of the 18" barrels in stock at basspro now. surprised to see it has a notched hammer:sad20:. loooked to be built pretty well and was super light. big quesiton to figure out was does anyone know if this gun is regulated or if it's considered "except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle"??? the bosspeople at basspro couldn't figure it out. I was leaning towards thinking it would be regulated since it didn't have HBAR on it anywhere(and technically it's not a colt)....but it's a pretty fuddish ar. Anyone know if this thing is cash n carry or if it's regulated?

more likely unregulated.. saw an add this weekend from dicks sporting goods, was surprise to see it in there. now really surprised that bass pro selling them now also.. :thumbsup:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Dick's has them for $999.98. I am pretty sure if the barrel has the grenade launcher groove missing it is considered HBAR.

I don't think Dick's has their MSP regulated firearms license or permit, so they can only sell unregulated firearms.

I would hope that they asked MSP or the MD AG if the rifles were regulated or not before they tried selling any in MD.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    0823001135a.jpg

0823001136.jpg

0823001136a.jpg

0823001137.jpg

heres the inside of the one at work. figured u might wanna see the bcg, hammer and buffer they're using.

jeff7457

Apr 18, 2010
    more likely unregulated.. saw an add this weekend from dicks sporting goods, was surprise to see it in there. now really surprised that bass pro selling them now also.. :thumbsup:

Purchased mine at Clydes for 1K and had to wait the 7 days for it? Put about 200 rounds through it so far without a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom