• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    UMC is Remington's "bulk". Anything else in green and yellow Remington boxes is a bulk of Remington. :)

Ah you are correct sir:thumbsup: Thanks for setting me straight. I'm about to order some UMC, but I read some rave reviews of Freedom munition.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ah you are correct sir:thumbsup: Thanks for setting me straight. I'm about to order some UMC, but I read some rave reviews of Freedom munition.
    And, in truth, Blaster's thinking of ordering some Freedom Munitions ... which reminds me that I owe him a link.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I ended up ordering 500 rounds(9mm) of Fiocchi from Lax ammo...I'll see how good it is.
    What is everyone's opinion of steel cased ammo for practice. I've always avoided it anything but my SKS(SOLD). I have the (misconception?) that steel cased ammo would wear on guns more than brass or aluminum cased ammo, so I've avoided it. Am I being too cautious?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    How does their stuff compare to Winchester and Remington bulk?

I've never had one single problem/malfunction/misfire with any of their ammo and I've shot thousands of rounds of it.
    Their .223 ammo is also very good (at least in my experience.)
    Other than .22 LR, I buy just about all of my ammo from them.
    New customers get free shipping with your first order. I usually wait until they run a free shipping promotion before I order more.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I ended up ordering 500 rounds(9mm) of Fiocchi from Lax ammo...I'll see how good it is.
    What is everyone's opinion of steel cased ammo for practice. I've always avoided it anything but my SKS(SOLD). I have the (misconception?) that steel cased ammo would wear on guns more than brass or aluminum cased ammo, so I've avoided it. Am I being too cautious?
    I am no expert nor am I a gunsmith but I feel the same way and avoid steel case for the reason you cited.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    This is a long article, but it is VERY well done, and is worth reading on the whole "brass vs steel" debate:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

This was done in ARs, so it's a little different, but their end conclusion is basically that it's not the brass vs steel case you need to worry about, but the projectiles. The bimetal projectiles in the cheap steel ammo shot out the barrels of their test guns while the copper jacketed projectiles from the Federal brass cased ammo didn't. They did see some increased extractor wear with the steel cases, though.

That said, I also shoot brass cased, copper jacketed projectiles these days. :)

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    This is a long article, but it is VERY well done, and is worth reading on the whole "brass vs steel" debate:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

This was done in ARs, so it's a little different, but their end conclusion is basically that it's not the brass vs steel case you need to worry about, but the projectiles. The bimetal projectiles in the cheap steel ammo shot out the barrels of their test guns while the copper jacketed projectiles from the Federal brass cased ammo didn't. They did see some increased extractor wear with the steel cases, though.

That said, I also shoot brass cased, copper jacketed projectiles these days. :)

Thanks for info/link. So I guess I was on the right track then. I never thought about the bimetal projectiles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom