• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Anyone have any issues with FTEs on their 870? I bought my son the 870 express combo from Dicks. It has the rifled barrel with scope as well as the 28in barrel.
    He has been using it in Mississippi duck hunting and called to tell me he is having issues with incomplete extractions. The extractor engages the shell, but only partially extracts it, then it doesn't eject.
    First i thought it was just a burr in the barrel, but he says it does it with both barrels.
    He has tried different shells, and it doesn't matter.
    And it only does it with spent shells.
    If he just loads the tube, and goes through the unfired shells, they extract just fine.

Any ideas. He is still hunting through Saturday, and trying to help him over the phone. He will be coming home Sunday, then I can get a good look at it.

Thanks.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Rem has had bad QC issues. It is a known issue with roughness on the final machining of the chambers so its likely the barrels themselves. Tell him to mortar it on bad ftes that is hiding the forfend and smacking the buttstock sharply on the ground. Take a brass cleaning rod chuck it in a drill and go carefully while lubricated. This should alleviate the issues.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    Changing ammunition worked for me, I had the same problem. I use Remington shells and it works fine, stay away from bulk Winchester shells for sure. They locked up almost every shot. Polishing the barrel will probably work, and I thought I was going to need to do it, but once I found shells it liked I haven't had a problem since. As for it only doing it with fired shells, when the shells are fired the hull expands and form-fits to the chamber. If there's a burr, as there probably is due to Remington's poor QC lately, the hull will stick in the chamber. You either need to remove the burr or buy shells that won't do that as much.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I had that problem with Winchester bulk pack stuff. I used a "wool" bore swab covered in Flitz polish with a piece of cleaning rod chucked in a drill to polish the chamber. You only have to do the part that engages the "brass".

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Cut and pasted from http://www.aiptactical.com/Page_2.html

One of the duties of my 870 is trap shooting, using low powered ammo resulted in many FTE, using his recommended procedure, solved all my FTE issues.

Issues with extraction problems with the 870 HD barrels are all over the internet. If you purchased one from me you should not have this issue as I polish the chamber, however, if you are using cheap ammo, you may. The issue can be resolved very simply and since you need these two tools to clean your weapon you should build them anyway.

To resolve this issue you want to make two polish rods. One for the chamber and one for the bore. See the below picture to see what they will look like. Go to a building supply place and buy two 7/16th hard wood dowels and a pack of 00 or 000 steel wool. Take a full pad of steel wool and stretch over one of the wooden dowels and tape the bottom of it off. This is you chamber rod. Put the rod in your drill and polish the chamber of the barrel. Hold the barrel and keep spinning the rod till you feel the barrel getting slightly warm. Take the second dowel and either stretch 3/4 of a pad of steel wool over it or stretch a full pad out longer. This is your bore rod. Put this in your drill and simply run it through the barrel a couple times. Both procedures are done "DRY". You do not need solvents for these barrels. These are smooth bore barrels and bore cleaner is not needed. If the weapon is going to be put up for any length of time you can spray some oil, or put a few drops in the bore then put a wad of AI&P Tactical Cleaning patches (paper towels) and push that through the barrel with your "AI&P Tactical Cleaning Rod" ( the wooden dowel). This will leave some oil in the pores of the barrel for storage.

intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Good info.

Thanks for all the quick replys. I know he used the gun a lot for skeet this fall. I will give him a call this afternoon after he's done hunting and check on the brand of shells. Then as soon as he gets home we'll polish the bore/ chamber. Doubt he can do it where he is.
    :thumbsup:

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    Cut and pasted from http://www.aiptactical.com/Page_2.html

One of the duties of my 870 is trap shooting, using low powered ammo resulted in many FTE, using his recommended procedure, solved all my FTE issues.

Issues with extraction problems with the 870 HD barrels are all over the internet. If you purchased one from me you should not have this issue as I polish the chamber, however, if you are using cheap ammo, you may. The issue can be resolved very simply and since you need these two tools to clean your weapon you should build them anyway.

To resolve this issue you want to make two polish rods. One for the chamber and one for the bore. See the below picture to see what they will look like. Go to a building supply place and buy two 7/16th hard wood dowels and a pack of 00 or 000 steel wool. Take a full pad of steel wool and stretch over one of the wooden dowels and tape the bottom of it off. This is you chamber rod. Put the rod in your drill and polish the chamber of the barrel. Hold the barrel and keep spinning the rod till you feel the barrel getting slightly warm. Take the second dowel and either stretch 3/4 of a pad of steel wool over it or stretch a full pad out longer. This is your bore rod. Put this in your drill and simply run it through the barrel a couple times. Both procedures are done "DRY". You do not need solvents for these barrels. These are smooth bore barrels and bore cleaner is not needed. If the weapon is going to be put up for any length of time you can spray some oil, or put a few drops in the bore then put a wad of AI&P Tactical Cleaning patches (paper towels) and push that through the barrel with your "AI&P Tactical Cleaning Rod" ( the wooden dowel). This will leave some oil in the pores of the barrel for storage.

I had the issue with my 870. The above worked well and I no longer have a problem (with the shotgun, still have a few other problems but that's a different thread :-)...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I had the same issue on some occasions with cheap low steel shells, they expand far, and the ring of pressure the edge of the metal creates is what makes it stick, a light polish on the chamber and forcing cone made extraction a bit easier, and improved the pattern slightly, and that's how it stayed till I rebuilt it as a tactical/defensive pattern. I installed the PD/MIL machined extractor(16176) with a slight radius, angle change and sharpened hook to bite harder, along with a new marine magnum spring and plunger. It bites hard into rims, hard enough to leave a deep mark if a cheap shell is sticky and I have to slam the action to extract it. Luckily the extraction issue really only affect the really cheap bulk shells, high brass slugs and buck feed much better, the base doesn't expand as much, and springs back more.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I had the issue with my 870. The above worked well and I no longer have a problem (with the shotgun, still have a few other problems but that's a different thread :-)...

Following his recommendation of cleaning the chamber & barrel, I added: solid steel extractor, oversize safety, black colored Police carrier dog follower spring, sear spring and oh my what a weapon. Using his how to video's, they were a snap to swap out.

http://www.aiptactical.com/How-To_Videos.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom