• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    A machinist/gunsmith can determine very easily if you brake is barrel metal or if it is attached. The easiest way is to simply look for the seam INSIDE the brake where the crown of the barrel sits. If none exists and the counterbore meeting the crown was obviously recess cut the "brake" is actually barrel metal. This is uncommon for several reasons, not the least of which is that a consistent crown is much harder to obtain. Factory rifles, well, that doesn't really concern Remington. In either case it is almost always easier (and thus cheaper) to cut it off and start fresh. I have run into this with the Savage "on/off" brakes and a couple of remingtons for friends of mine. They are invariably installed (if threaded on at all) with a ten foot wrench operated by Paul Bunyan after the evil Loctite Leprechaun spreads his juice all over the parts. Chuck the thing up, run a parting tool into the barrel, cut fresh barrel, then indicate in on bore, reface, thread if desired, and recrown.

I forgot to note that when you select your stock/chassis preference to budget in for bottom metal, inletting, and bedding. The XLR is a pretty tight fit on the rifles I have set them up on but for a truly perfect fit (particularly in a heavy recoil round such as you have) skim bedding may be desired. The chassis is the "bolt in" solution. A Manners stock will require final fitting, bottom metal installation, and a good epoxy bedding job.

It looks like the brake may actually be a separate piece. In certain light or shining a flashlight on the end of the barrel, you can actually see a very slight difference in color where the brake would stop and barrel would start. The inside also looks like there are 2 different widths with the brake being wider and the barrel being the correct round diameter. It's hard to completely tell since I was trying to use my phone for getting a picture down the barrel as I wasn't about to actually look down the barrel..

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    with the bolt removed, after looking down the barrel from the back just to be sure you see daylight, looking down from the front is fine. I'm sure someone will disagree, but that's my simple view. I would strongly recommend a trip to visit Doc Ed. He will take all your guesswork out of barrel jobs. Tell him what you need and pick it up done.

Pinecone is correct, the minichassis Manners Composites do not require DBM install or fitting provided that you order it for the correct barrel profile. I know only one shooter that uses one currently and he is still wringing it out (less than one season on it). The advantage I see to the mini chassis is that the bedding would not suffer due to repeated action removal.

my "stocks" that are not glassed/epoxied are either chassis systems or laminates with Whidden Gunworks blocks epoxied into them. Both ways work fine. It is a matter of personal choice what you like better. Even my "no metal" bedded guns (those with no Whidden block or chassis of any type) have shot well when otherwise correctly set up. Have a browning Xbolt that I picked up as a plinker to keep rounds off my custom varmint rifles that shoots .5moa and it has had very little work done. I cleaned up the factory "bedding" slightly and i recut my muzzle crown (never met a factory rifle that I liked the crown on). Other than that, it is the way Miroku built it. Custom is nice. Very nice. Sometimes, however, you don't need to go nuts to shoot well.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I'm really leaning towards the Manners T5A stock. I like the thumb hole and adjustable cheek rest. Now knowing about the mini chassis it should make for a real simple install.

TBH I'm surprised no one mentioned Scott's for a local IP. I reached out to them earlier this week as well to talk about the brake and bolt knob mod as well. I'm glad I've got some options from everyone at this point. Now time to start dialing in my plan and getting it done :D

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    I've been told that its a good idea to get behind whichever stock, or a very similar version, before you buy to be sure its comfortable to you. They obviously aren't cheap and some guys prefer a chassis over a "traditional stock" or vice versa. The Manners will likely feel and handle different than a XLR or chassis type gun especially if you plan to shoot any type of competition or in awkward positions.

I've been eyeing Cadex stuff for a while but no one local carries it and I'm not dropping $1k+ before I try it out. Continental Arms just became a dealer and got a few in...FYI

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree, try to at least get behind each stock.

I had purchased a CZ455 VPT, which comes with a Manners T4 stock.

I liked it, so got the T-4A (adjustable cheek piece) stock for my 700.

And I lucked out, they were running a 6+ month backlog. I called them, and the lady I spoke too mentioned a spare stock had just been dropped on her desk to list on the website. Needless to say, I bought it. Pic in the Precision Rifle thread.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Just an update on this. I just ordered a XLR Chassis. Before and after pics to come once it gets here. 4 to 5 weeks lead time according to the website.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    XLR industries are stand-up people. You will be happy with the chassis.

Well, I got my shipping notification last night. It will be a lot less time than the original 4 to 6 week lead. I'm liking them so far and haven't even received the chassis haha.. I think UPS said it will be here the 13th.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    UPDATE: The XLR Chassis is installed. I'll get a picture up soon. I had to order higher rings for my scope since I was using low rings on a 20moa base, but with the front foregrip on the XLR the scope hits the chassis (Nightforce 5.5 to 22 x 56). Since I was in an ordering mood, I also ordered an APA Fat Bastard Gen II brake. I was debating trying to get the factory brake off myself, but by the time I buy a barrel vise I could ask a local Smith to remove it so I'm probably going that route. The next order will be a trigger, either Timney or Jewell. After that the bolt knob and the project will be done. I'm going to see if I can get the brake removed before next Friday since I'm headed to Delmarva.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    As promised even though its apart again. Tomorrow the action heads to the Smith to remove the brake. I think I may order the trigger while its apart now haha.

The scope is not mounted since the rings are too low. New rings are inbound. I'm hoping to get everything squared away so I can head to Delmarva next Friday (23rd)

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
      IMG_0197.JPG
      51.6 KB · Views: 117
    • IMG_0200.JPG
      IMG_0200.JPG
      48 KB · Views: 123

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    looking good. Give Doc Ed a call and have him take care of your muzzle brake issue.

Already taken care of. :D Since I found out it is threaded and just loctite to hell from the factory, I stopped by Duffys and it was off in a few minutes. I have the APA Fat Bastard Gen II arriving this week and a Timney CE trigger. I also have the higher rings coming in. Last thing will be the bolt knob mod.

Nice looking rig. I got the same XLR stock a few months ago. Its really very functional and well made.

Thanks. The chassis fits me perfectly. I'm glad I went this route.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    It was like Christmas yesterday. After I installed the trigger and the mail came, my mags and rings showed up. Here is the latest. I'm down to the brake and bolt knob. Brake should be here Thursday according to Fed Ex

Attachments

• Rem700.jpg
      Rem700.jpg
      45.2 KB · Views: 84

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Finished product.... Minus the bolt knob, but that was the lowest priority on the list. Really great shooting gun now. I also ordered the dies, primers and powder to reload my brass..

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
      IMG_0240.JPG
      57.4 KB · Views: 78

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    looks good! you should be ready for the range and then ready for the reloading bench after you are done. then it ought to improve even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom