• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    About three years ago I purchased a Defiance Machine Deviant tactical receiver for a long range precision bolt gun. I purchased two Remage barrels both 26” one in 308 win Match and one in 260 Remington.

I had a 270 win standards SPS stainless 24” that my youngest son learned to shoot some 16 years ago. Any hoot , since that time I did a lot of upgrades to that rifle. The main upgrade being a mag pool 700 Hunter stock and then a vinyl wrap so for Christmas I decided I would give my son that rifle. As I have more rifles than one could known what to do with, he currently lives in his own house now and has a gun safe so I think it’s time to give them that it has sentimental value.

So I informed him I was going to give him that rifle for Christmas. My son said to me dad I don’t want all the upgrades. I want the rifle as it was when I shot it. In which case it had a hogue stock with a stainless V block in it. So the other day I worked on that rifle and returned it to its former glory.

So now in my inventory, I have a mag 700 Hunter stock that has been camo wrapped and it has the mag pool bottom metal and removable magazine. So I’m thinking I may just get another Remington long action receiver the rifle out. I’m thinking I would put the 308 Winchester on the long action as I have loaded that with some pretty heavy bullets 225 grain HPBT. This will allow me to load it out longer than the Deviant short short action in the x-ray stock.

The AICS Magazines will allow me is a max COAL of 2.950. All Billy’s I would use except the Hornady 6.5 147 gr ELD M (3.005) will never exceed that . In the 308 win if you mow he like a 200 or 208 or 215 grain hybrid target .0020 off the lands put like 3.08 inches so I’m thinking that the 308 rather than a 260 Remington should be in the long action.

The question is what long action do I get three years ago when I bought the deviant tactical, it was $1200. Today defiance machine DV tactical long action is like $1800. I could go to PTG and get a standard long action for around $600 with the Tunney trigger. They have other options for either a 700 action or for their Valhalla action about $750 was a trigger. Not sure what trigger but my guess is minimally $150 I’m thinking that’s the way to go as we’re at a total of $900 and that’s about half of the defiance machine deviant tactical action and that’s without a trigger. Since I already have remage barrels with 1.0625 x 16 tpi pitch. it will limit the selection of actions I can choose.

So I’m looking to have a complete complete long action Trude receiver with a trigger for $900. Are there any other products that I should consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I would personally stay away from ptg as I have heard of a number of issues with them.

If you are going to use barrels with a remage thread pattern (1.0625” X 16 TPI), it'll be harder to find a custom action, but there are some like defiance and a few others I am blanking on. You could also just get an action blueprinted.

If you are open to going to a savage small shank, the Zermatt Origin and the American rifle coup de grace are really worth looking at and are at 900 plus the trigger.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I would personally stay away from ptg as I have heard of a number of issues with them.

If you are going to use barrels with a remage thread pattern (1.0625” X 16 TPI), it'll be harder to find a custom action, but there are some like defiance and a few others I am blanking on. You could also just get an action blueprinted.

If you are open to going to a savage small shank, the Zermatt Origin and the American rifle coup de grace are really worth looking at and are at 900 plus the trigger.
    Do this. I own both zermatt and ARC actions. I love em. Both brands. I got to run the piss out of my buddy's new CDG two weeks ago. I'm going to buy one once ted starts shipping bare actions from shelf stock (and probably goes to a second gen, since he likes to do that within a year or two of a new model to add or change things the market wants). Arc and zermatt are controlled round feed/mechanical ejector actions, too. I know it puts me in the minority but i STRONGLY prefer this setup. Small shank savage nut type prefits will work but both arc and zermatt are precise enough that you can order shouldered prefits from multiple vendors as well.

I'd sell you a defiance tenacity but it is a short action and thus won't fill your reqs. If you buy an action, screw PTG. Buy a Stiller. Prices on the Tac30 are reasonable ish. I've built Tac30s and one Predator for a couple buddies and they are straight. I have not messed with their Benchrest actions personally but I hear they are good too. I don't think George kelbly uses the standard Remington tenon in most of his, but a phone call would be in order to confirm tenon specs in their various actions. I give their atlas tactical (get the TG ejector) action high marks from a user perspective. I shot two of them on and off for a year, both with Krieger barrels (they weren't mine so I never had the barrels out or did any work in them). Very good.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Guys, out of sheer curiosity, what's the issue with PTG? I thought they were pretty good. (especially for tooling, go gauges)

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Guys, out of sheer curiosity, what's the issue with PTG? I thought they were pretty good. (especially for tooling, go gauges)
    Reamers I have seen (relatively few compared to some.guys) have been good to go and they will do custom spec reamers. I own mostly forster gauges but a couple sets of ptg have been OK.

Their bolts and receivers are a different story. With the prices of custom actions these days, there's no use in screwing around with anything that isn't perfect.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Guys some great information here. I really appreciate all your input. Stiller and ARC are both viable options.

Waiting for ARC to get back to me but it may not be an option as receiver diagrams show a 1.0625 x 20 tpi interface. Their new action the Coup De Gras seems awesome but a 473 bolt face will require a conical instead off a flat breach. This is so the bolt face design can have clearance at breach . On larger bolt faces like .532 this is not required.

Great discussion though and I appreciate all the input.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Guys some great information here. I really appreciate all your input. Stiller and ARC are both viable options.

Waiting for ARC to get back to me but it may not be an option as receiver diagrams show a 1.0625 x 20 tpi interface. Their new action the Coup De Gras seems awesome but a 473 bolt face will require a conical instead off a flat breach. This is so the bolt face design can have clearance at breach . On larger bolt faces like .532 this is not required.

Great discussion though and I appreciate all the input.

Arc is all small.frame savage tenon. Your barrels won't work. Zermatt is the same.

Well, the coned breech thing is Ted's suggestion. The CDG action, .378 case heads need it. The .473s are suggested. I know two guys running. 473 bolts and savage prefit barrels without breech mods. YMMV.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yep. I have way too many precision rifles. But I love them.

If you were not tied to rem700 tenon it would be a no brainer. I'd welcome you to the dark side where we have cookies amd savage pattern prefits. Since you are, I'd vote for Stiller based on my limited experience doing them for guys I know.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I received respond from ARC at this time they don’t plan on offering a 1.0625 x 16 tpi as an option. The ARC coup de gras is one fine action with a lot of functional design ideas I really love. So I either go to the dark side and get a 20 TPI pre fit, or it’s a Stiller which is a sick action in its own right. Got to chew on this a while.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I received respond from ARC at this time they don’t plan on offering a 1.0625 x 16 tpi as an option. The ARC coup de gras is one fine action with a lot of functional design ideas I really love. So I either go to the dark side and get a 20 TPI pre fit, or it’s a Stiller which is a sick action in its own right. Got to chew on this a while.

Come to the dark side. We have CRF/ME. And more barrel choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom