• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billy Bones

Flagoneer
    Mar 27, 2012
    Grasonville, Md
    I recently purchased a Rem 700 ADL that I am looking into making a long distance accurate shooter. I'd like to modify the gun to accept magazines. From what I have read here and elsewhere, this is a fairly involved multi-step process. Please let me know if the following is correct:

1) To get the gun to accept magazines, the ADL stock needs to become a BDL stock.

2) Then, a Trigger Guard Assembly needs to be added that can accept magazines

3) AICS magazines (in the .338 flavor, 'long-action') should fit 7mm rounds... Correct?

Sound right so far? Am I missing anything?

I guess the next question is what stocks and trigger assemblies work best together. I have built a few long guns but do not have extensive gun smithing experience. Also, ideally, I don't want to spend $1000 on a stock when the gun only cost $250. I am not military or law enforcement, so my life does not 'depend' on the durability of the parts. Plus, I'd prefer not to have junk that will explode after the third round fired. :D

But for what you folks have experience with, what have you built that was a fairly easy assembly and you are happy with?

Thanks.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Go thru CDi Precision, the bottom-metal is half the cost of the Badger ($209 vs. $450), and you can send your stock and barreled action (if you choose to) in to CDi and they'll do the installation for free.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    By the time you spend the money to upgrade your ADL you'll spend more then the higher grade rifles with a heavy barrel will cost.

I have an ADL, but I bought it for deer hunting. 4 shots at a time and the barrel does not heat up.

After the 5th round from my 30.06 the groups start to open up. The ADL barrel is fine for hunting but not for long range shooting.

Keep in mind that errors are multiplied several times as your distance is increased.

Example: If my groups open up from 1 in to 2 inches at 100 yards due to head build up. Doubling the distance will cause the group to go from 1 in with a cold barrel to a 4 inch group at 200 yards with a hot barrel.

I have seen this way too often. Some one will have their light weight hunting rifle sighted in great at 100 yards but then at 200 yards they can't hold an 8 inch group. I have even seen rifles that can't hit the target at 200 after holding good groups at 100 yards. That rifle did have multiple issues on closer examination.

Yes you can buy a Chevy Suburban and turn it into a Cadillac Escalade but at the end you still have a Chevy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom