• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Decided to swing by Aberdeen WM on the way home from work today. They had a Rem 597 w3x9 for $207 so I took it. Guy said they "had only brought it out a little while ago". Said they could not keep them in stock. Well, not this one either. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Shoot it for a while, then ditch it. ;)

(Not trying to be an ass, just passing on personal experiences. :) )

Ask SCARCQB or lx1x what they have experienced first-hand with 597's with a decent round count on them. My experience has been that of self-destructing bolts and trying to find extractor parts on a concrete range floor, outdoors. (It's as fun as you can imagine it to be...)

You may not experience that joy yourself, but be wary once that round count gets up over 2500 to 3000. Till then, shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Shoot it for a while, then ditch it. ;)

(Not trying to be an ass, just passing on personal experiences. :) )

Ask SCARCQB or lx1x what they have experienced first-hand with 597's with a decent round count on them. My experience has been that of self-destructing bolts and trying to find extractor parts on a concrete range floor, outdoors. (It's as fun as you can imagine it to be...)

You may not experience that joy yourself, but be wary once that round count gets up over 2500 to 3000. Till then, shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it.

Thanks for the warning. Guess I better stop whim buying. How long ago was their experience? Long enough that they "fixed it"? (I can hope). Guess I better send PMs. Thanks.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Seemed to be hit/miss from what I could gather. But the possibility of it happening is there.

Crazy Al had multiple 597's, and I lost track of how often the bolt/extractor came apart while shooting.

Run it till it has issues, then think about other options.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    here's my thought on it. i dont own one personally since i know they are problematic. what brad said. we have a mutual friend that had one and all he had was troubles with it. he finally did sell it to his nephew.. lol

since you did purchase on a whim.. all i can say is give it a try.. you already own it and hope that this particular 597 is the golden one that doesnt have issues. :)

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    here's my thought on it. i dont own one personally since i know they are problematic. what brad said. we have a mutual friend that had one and all he had was troubles with it. he finally did sell it to his nephew.. lol

since you did purchase on a whim.. all i can say is give it a try.. you already own it and hope that this particular 597 is the golden one that doesnt have issues. :)

Thanks. Been thinking about getting a .22 and just happened across this one like I said. Guess I shoula waited and did a quick google. Oh well, I'll see how it works out.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks. Been thinking about getting a .22 and just happened across this one like I said. Guess I shoula waited and did a quick google. Oh well, I'll see how it works out.

lesson learned. just hope you didnt pay overpriced for it.

7's

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 22, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Mine has over 5k through it and so far no issues............... only thing ever happened with mine is the bolt hold open catch pin fell out so I bought a new pin, spring, and catch and never had any more problems and I have been out-shooting built 10/22's with mine since I opened the box and so far only thing I've changed is the scope

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Mine has over 5k through it and so far no issues............... only thing ever happened with mine is the bolt hold open catch pin fell out so I bought a new pin, spring, and catch and never had any more problems and I have been out-shooting built 10/22's with mine since I opened the box and so far only thing I've changed is the scope

Thanks, glad to hear that. I'll probably change out the scope as well but will see how this one does for a while. Gotta get some ammo first though. Prices I'm seeing are similar to the gun. :mad54:

matt1

Feb 5, 2013
    anne arundel county md
    Lol I just bought one at walmart a few weeks ago too... hey so call Remington and complain your mags won't hold more than 8 and theyll just send you one or two more mags for free cause they're aware their mags are an issue. I got two in like a week for free. Props to Remington on their customer service. Also there's a store called big dog outfitters in va close to Waldorf that has a bin of 30 round 597 mags as of a few days ago.

matt1

Feb 5, 2013
    anne arundel county md
    I also have heard that the factory replacement mags from keepshooting.com are better than the factory mags...they perfected then from what I hear but they are sold out for now.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    A lot of the 597 issues are BS, mainly because some 597 have come from the factory with assembly issues. Biggest issue is the guide rod set screws being too tight and warping the rods, which causes the bolt to not move cleanly. This causes FTEs and FTFs sometimes. I have seen the recoil bumper in the back of the receiver not inserted properly causing the bolt not to get full travel. If you get one that does not have these issues it will outshoot a 10/22 out of the box by a small amount (magazine tests bear this out). But basically both guns have similar accuracy by and large. If you want to throw big money at both of them they can get frighteningly accurate for semi autos. You can get the same parts for a 597 as a 10/22, there just are not as many shops making those items. My 597 has about a $1k in it. I have won my club's metallic silhouette rifle title the last 2 years against all comers, including lots of custom 10/22s and even bolt guns. I have yet to use a factory 10 round mag I could not get 10 rounds into, even the ones I have bought off the shelf at WM.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    My 597 has a ton of rounds through it and its probably top 3 of my favorite gun to shoot. I rarely hear anything bad but everyone jumps on the 10/22 bandwagon and everything else is junk all of the sudden :rolleyes:

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Lol I just bought one at walmart a few weeks ago too... hey so call Remington and complain your mags won't hold more than 8 and theyll just send you one or two more mags for free cause they're aware their mags are an issue. I got two in like a week for free. Props to Remington on their customer service. Also there's a store called big dog outfitters in va close to Waldorf that has a bin of 30 round 597 mags as of a few days ago.

I also have heard that the factory replacement mags from keepshooting.com are better than the factory mags...they perfected then from what I hear but they are sold out for now.

A lot of the 597 issues are BS, mainly because some 597 have come from the factory with assembly issues. Biggest issue is the guide rod set screws being too tight and warping the rods, which causes the bolt to not move cleanly. This causes FTEs and FTFs sometimes. I have seen the recoil bumper in the back of the receiver not inserted properly causing the bolt not to get full travel. If you get one that does not have these issues it will outshoot a 10/22 out of the box by a small amount (magazine tests bear this out). But basically both guns have similar accuracy by and large. If you want to throw big money at both of them they can get frighteningly accurate for semi autos. You can get the same parts for a 597 as a 10/22, there just are not as many shops making those items. My 597 has about a $1k in it. I have won my club's metallic silhouette rifle title the last 2 years against all comers, including lots of custom 10/22s and even bolt guns. I have yet to use a factory 10 round mag I could not get 10 rounds into, even the ones I have bought off the shelf at WM.

My 597 has a ton of rounds through it and its probably top 3 of my favorite gun to shoot. I rarely hear anything bad but everyone jumps on the 10/22 bandwagon and everything else is junk all of the sudden :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the info and you taking your time to respond. Blessings to all.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I have about 70K rounds through one of my 597s. It is very accurate and is my favorite rifle to shoot. I bought a second one, so my friends can shoot with me. It only has about 15K rounds through it so far.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    I have about 70K rounds through one of my 597s. It is very accurate and is my favorite rifle to shoot. I bought a second one, so my friends can shoot with me. It only has about 15K rounds through it so far.

Thanks tball, that is great to hear. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom