• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I'm going to load (vs. reload) some .350 Legend.

Is there anything different about the procedure than when reloading used brass? Also, these will be my first straight walled cartridges.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm going to load (vs. reload) some .350 Legend.

Is there anything different about the procedure than when reloading used brass? Also, these will be my first straight walled cartridges.
    I wouldn't do anything different - I'd still run that brand new brass through a sizing die as the first step.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I have always treated it like any other reload. I just skip the depriming process and the priming if its already primed. Otherwise I still size and flare the case and give mine a medium crimp after bullet seating

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I have always treated it like any other reload. I just skip the depriming process and the priming if its already primed. Otherwise I still size and flare the case and give mine a medium crimp after bullet seating
    Do you remove the decapping pin or just let it pass through the flash hole?

My wife and I have discovered that her rifle (Savage Axis) fires better with heavier bullets. We've shot 145 gr and 180 gr and the difference is immediately noted. Since some of her hunting areas are going "lead free" in the near future, I bought these:

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Do you remove the decapping pin or just let it pass through the flash hole?

My wife and I have discovered that her rifle (Savage Axis) fires better with heavier bullets. We've shot 145 gr and 180 gr and the difference is immediately noted. Since some of her hunting areas are going "lead free" in the near future, I bought these:

I just let it pass through the flash hole. I figure if dirt or something is in there it will knock it out or atleast tell me something is wrong.
    My Smith and Wesson I-Bolt 30-06 is like that it prefers 180 grain to 150 grain. My accuracy is signifigantly better with the heavier bullet. My Ruger 9mm like a light bullet with a hotter load and my Sig P320 likes them all and the hotter the better.
    I am not a Hunter yet I keep wanting to start but seems something is always going on. But you gotta remember if we get rid of lead ammo global warming will stop and crime will stop and the animals with sing with joy as the gang bangers also lay down thier guns and get jobs.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    But you gotta remember if we get rid of lead ammo global warming will stop and crime will stop and the animals with sing with joy
    LOL, yeah sometimes I think this stuff is just one more way to make any kind of 2A exercise expensive and unobtainable. My wife is a park ranger and a biologist. She has explained to me that the idea is to keep lead out of the food web because critters eat the gut pile. Ok, fine.

Luckily, hunting is not very ammo intensive. So far, she's "one shot, one kill." She expends way more ammo on the range just getting her zero in than she does shooting deer. If I make her 50 all-copper cartridges, this supply would last her for many seasons. She can still shoot lead at the range for practice.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    LOL, yeah sometimes I think this stuff is just one more way to make any kind of 2A exercise expensive and unobtainable. My wife is a park ranger and a biologist. She has explained to me that the idea is to keep lead out of the food web because critters eat the gut pile. Ok, fine.

Luckily, hunting is not very ammo intensive. So far, she's "one shot, one kill." She expends way more ammo on the range just getting her zero in than she does shooting deer. If I make her 50 all-copper cartridges, this supply would last her for many seasons. She can still shoot lead at the range for practice.
    I get that they want to keep it out of the food web. But we have been using lead for 100's of years and while I am not all knowing I havent heard of an issue that its caused. They are doing the same with fishing in the name of global warming or whatever. No lead ammo is a little more expensive so any bar they can raise to make it harder is good in our overlords minds. For fishing it makes it significantly more expensive to use tungsten weights over lead.

It feels like they are just going after sportsman in general since we are all more likely to be gun guys. And as soon as they find a way to make ammo harder to get or yet again more expensive they will do it.
    It starts with the Hunters cause think about the kids. But before you know it lead will be outlawed at the range too. This is just a back door to try to make it a little more palatable in my opinion.
    They are starting to eye us reloaders too which is worrysome as well.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    It feels like they are just going after sportsman in general since we are all more likely to be gun guys. And as soon as they find a way to make ammo harder to get or yet again more expensive they will do it.
    Yep. Have you heard the prices for non-lead turkey ammo? Holy shyte...

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I am going to be honest I have not looked at the prices of non lead ammo at all. When I do hunt it will be on my own private property and as far as I understand it I can use lead there. That may have changed I will have to look it up. I am hoping to step into the hunting world this year. I have spent 3 years setting up an area of my land to attract deer. The trail cames so about a half a dozen a day stopping by.
    We have deer, Turkey, Rabbit, and Squirrel. I need to see what other animals are in season and when that frequent my property. I would love to be able to buy as little store bought meet as possible. There are 5 of us in my house though and that would be alot of meat.

Holy Shite almost $2 a round for 12 gauge no lead shells. Thats nuts. I reload 12g too though Ill bet steel or copper BB's would work and fit the bill

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Almost anyone can learn to melt lead and make bullets with only some basic tools. Most dont have access to machines needed to make all copper bullets.......think about it

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Personally, I wouldn't bother sizing new 350 Legend brass. You likely want to flare, and for that you'll want to dry lube the inside of the neck/case as new brass is super sticky. Graphite works. Fired brass typically has a little carbon on it which makes things go smoother. I highly recommend getting a Lyman M die or similar for flaring.

Prime
    Flare
    Add powder
    Seat bullet
    Crimp (optional)

There’s enough bullet to case wall interaction that crimping isn’t needed. The other reason to crimp is to remove the seating flare. If you use a Lyman M die or similar matched to your bullet diameter, there will be basically no flare to remove.

You can borrow my Lyman M die setup if you don’t have one or would like to experiment.

Last edited:

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    But you gotta remember if we get rid of lead ammo global warming will stop and crime will stop and the animals with sing with joy as the gang bangers also lay down thier guns and get jobs.
    I ask everybody I debate, "Do you think the the criminals are going to just buy and use exclusively copper only projectiles in their reloads? So why should we have to give up lead core projectiles then?"

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Be careful to avoid "cold welding" the bullet to the case. This is where two similar metals are pressed tightly together and form a bond, even without heat. https://www.weldinghandbook.com/cold-welding/

I had this happen with brand new Starline .445 SuperMag cases and Hornady bullets. Both were perfectly clean and shiny-new. I loaded about 80 rounds and shot some soon after that worked perfectly. When I shot more from the same batch later I ran into VERY high pressures.

When I disassembled some of the remaining rounds (most I just scrapped), the case necks were so well bonded to the bullets that the 'neck portion' of the cases tore off and stayed with the bullet when I pulled them. My kinetic puller wouldn't move them, but using my press, I was able to get enough out to see what had happened.

I was able to peel some case material off the bullets with pliers, but both cases and bullets were ruined and I'm lucky I didn't blow up my gun.

I'm sorry that I don't know how to tell you to prevent it; maybe some sort of coating, maybe load and shoot your fireforming loads immediately, then reload as normal...

I am going to be honest I have not looked at the prices of non lead ammo at all. When I do hunt it will be on my own private property and as far as I understand it I can use lead there. That may have changed I will have to look it up. I am hoping to step into the hunting world this year. I have spent 3 years setting up an area of my land to attract deer. The trail cames so about a half a dozen a day stopping by.
    We have deer, Turkey, Rabbit, and Squirrel. I need to see what other animals are in season and when that frequent my property. I would love to be able to buy as little store bought meet as possible. There are 5 of us in my house though and that would be alot of meat.

Holy Shite almost $2 a round for 12 gauge no lead shells. Thats nuts. I reload 12g too though Ill bet steel or copper BB's would work and fit the bill
    The requirement for lead-free bullets is ecologically based and has nothing to do with crime. It is a knee-jerk reaction to the plight of the California Condor that is spreading nationwide. Seems that birds of prey and scavengers are getting lead poisoning from ingesting bullets and a bullet fragments in gut piles or carcasses left in the field.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Run thru the sizer and uniform the primer pocket.

Same. Size, OAL, check fo clean primer hole and pocket
    Paperwork and wilcam47, I was going to mention the primer pocket. Good thoughts

Hornady SST Sabots for deer, $3.40 per round Definitely makes me think that I'd rather trade in my slug gun for a straight walled rifle, and use more Bow and Muzzle loader in lieu of shotgun in shotgun counties.

Hornady SST Sabots, $3.40 per round Definitely makes me think that I'd rather trade in my slug gun for a straight walled rifle, and use more Bow and Muzzle loader in lieu of shotgun in shotgun counties.
    I ask everybody I debate, "Do you think the the criminals are going to just buy and use exclusively copper only projectiles in their reloads? So why should we have to give up lead core projectiles then?"
    No real answer here, but I often think back to my days of growing up and fishing as much as I wished.
    I can't think of how many times I tightened down the split sinkers using my teeth. Had no clue that I was biting down on lead which is apparently more dangerous than fentanil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom