• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I was under the impression most steel cases (Tula, Brown Bear, etc...) couldn't be reloaded because of their Berdan primers (yes, I know you can pop a Berdan primer and reload it, but it's not worth my time). How about a steel case that uses Boxer primers?

I was sorting through my brass from the weekend and noticed I had a few Tula 45 cases in my tumbler and they were Boxer primed. I ran a few through my dies and didn't have any trouble depriming and resizing. Aside from being a little rough on my dies, does anyone know of any other downside to reloading these? The only other thing I can think of is that I won't trim these because I don't want to wear down my case trimmer.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    It's my understanding (and I'm no expert by any means) that steel cases will not reform as freely as brass and, because of this, reuse (even once) can be unsafe due to weakness in the case imposed by fire-forming in the chamber.

Having said that, there are numerous articles/videos about re-loading steel :shrug:

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Back in the early 1980s I reloaded steel 7.62X39 only because I had several thousand Berdan primers and boxer was not available. Some would split at the neck just as brass did.

Last edited:

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    No problem doing it. Brass is easier though. Plus you need to pick up the cases before they rust.

People will tell you it can't be done, but that's just folklore like car doors stopping a bullet.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    No problem doing it. Brass is easier though. Plus you need to pick up the cases before they rust.

People will tell you it can't be done, but that's just folklore like car doors stopping a bullet.

While I haven't done it personally, this is what I've heard from many people. Steel can't be reused as many times, it corrodes through the sidewall, shelf life is a bigger issue, and I've heard that the necks crack much easier.

Bottom line, be extra vigilant with case prep and examine thoroughly for signs of damage.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I have reloaded steel cases. Lubed, resized, reprimed. Same medium load as brass case. Shot about two inches low at 100. I figured the case mouth was tighter because it took more evert to seat the bullet.

I had no problems.

Would I keep reloading them...No but one reload no problem.

Justler

Jan 5, 2012
    I think your risk mainly comes from the case cracking down the side and potentially leaving you with a squid load. I've had this happen on a brass case that had been reused too many times.

I think it's a level of tediousness and worry that's not worth it... You're going to be checking the chamber and barrel each time to make sure no bullet is in the barrel... Easier with something like a bolt action you are shooting slowly, but something I myself would worry about in a semi-auto.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    The ONLY problem I've encountered is a high failure rate in the resizing of the base of cases in some range pick ups. I'm chalking that up to the fire forming of the case in a possibly slightly larger chamber, than the die can squeeze back down.

Every single case first fired from my rifle, was able to be resized, loaded and fired with good accuracy, no FTF and no FTEs. All were 100%.

Neck tension is outstanding with steel cases.

I have not reloaded a steel case more than three times, so I can't tell you about longevity, but even those never measured more than 1.75" after three firings. If I recall correctly, I've only has a few (less then four) where the necks started to split.

Steel cases are not my go-to source, but I'm not afraid to load them or use them in any situation.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    You can do it I have a few 7.62x39 and some 7.62x54r It was a little tight to resize
    If you had to you could I don't recall any problems shooting the reloads.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Brass is a malleable metal, steel & aluminum are not...

Malleability is a physical property of metals that defines the ability to be hammered, pressed or rolled into shapes WITHOUT BREAKING...

Why waste your time & take a chance on damaging your dies with steel..?

Scrap the steel & aluminum & reload reloadeable cases...

All reloading books will confirm this...

Keep it simple & do it right...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ALL metals are malleble. They differ in the degree of malleability.

Steel can be formed and reformed without breaking. See forged parts.

Yes, brass is much easier to reload, but steel can be reloaded fine, and just like brass, LUBE well.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Ever cold forge steel to any great degree? That is what happens during resizing and flaring.

Steel can be cold forged (peened) to make small dimensional changes for assemly or clearance adjustment. But steel is nowhere near as malleable as brass and that was Sgt Preston's intent. The consensus is steel can be reused during reloading but to a far lesser degree than brass because if that less malleable nature.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Some steel is very much as malleable as brass. Plain-jane low carbon steel can be formed into amazing shapes w/ a hammer and dollies. Higher carbon can often be worked easily in the annealed state. Its higher tensile/yield than brass so just takes more force. But can be done just the same. It will be tougher on dies than brass. But carbide dies won't have an issue.

I bet the carbon & heat from firing actually surface hardens the inside of the case. I'll also bet there has been a research paper somewhere studying the effect but Im far to lazy to look for it:) Would be an interesting read though. I'd be curious to what extent it happens.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It would be. I somehow let two Wolf steel cases through a roading session. I could beliefe they didn't split. I held onto them tor months the decided to try them out. I was edgey be ause if the warning I had read. Anyway, there were no adverse events and the fired cases looked fine. I still wouldn't intentionally reload them except if in a real pinch. One of my worries are the dies, no ghe carbide sizer so much as the other - crimper especially.

Learn new things every day.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Let's see. Take a look at the fenders, hood, doors, trunk lid on your car. Most of those pieces are steel and are cold formed.

But you are right, steel is less malleable than brass. But that also means that they do not fully fire form to the chamber after one firing. So less sizing needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom