• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I reloaded 50 22-250 cartridges today. 40% seated bullet fine but the other 60% were too wide and the bullet slipped into the cartridge? I have never run into this problem before. Anyone have any ideas why? I would also assume I need to remove bullet, powder, primer and resize the neck and if that doesn't work then resize the entire case. Thanks for any reply's.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Sounds like you may have a problem with the expander ball on your sizing die. Were these full length or neck sized? Is it at all possible the cases that didnt have the case mouths sized properly somehow skipped the sizing process all together?

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    I had a similar issue when neck sizing .308. I was using a Lee die and I found the problem to be that I wasn't putting enough pressure on the handle of the press. Don't know what dies your using but if your using a Lee neck sizer then maybe this will help you out.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I agree with the above remarks, but only to a point.

If you are using a FL sizing die, it's likely not adjusted correctly. And if you are using a collet or neck sizing die, it is not adjusted correctly. Either way, re-check your die adjustments.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I reloaded 50 22-250 cartridges today. 40% seated bullet fine but the other 60% were too wide and the bullet slipped into the cartridge? I have never run into this problem before. Anyone have any ideas why? I would also assume I need to remove bullet, powder, primer and resize the neck and if that doesn't work then resize the entire case. Thanks for any reply's.

Also, depending on whether you FL sized the cases or only resized the case necks, pulling the bullets isn't difficult and the bullet, powder charge and primers can be reused - if you know how.

:thumbsup:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I agree with the above remarks, but only to a point.

If you are using a FL sizing die, it's likely not adjusted correctly. And if you are using a collet or neck sizing die, it is not adjusted correctly. Either way, re-check your die adjustments.
    Agreed.. and it should be easy to pull everything and reprocess it.. ;)

Are you 100% sure that the cases you loaded were resized? (the ones that had no neck tension)

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Sounds like you may have a problem with the expander ball on your sizing die. Were these full length or neck sized? Is it at all possible the cases that didnt have the case mouths sized properly somehow skipped the sizing process all together?

Neck sized and did them one after the other. This is why I am perplexed. No adjustments during neck sizing.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I had a similar issue when neck sizing .308. I was using a Lee die and I found the problem to be that I wasn't putting enough pressure on the handle of the press. Don't know what dies your using but if your using a Lee neck sizer then maybe this will help you out.

Yes on Lee dies. I will press harder and see if that works.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Agreed.. and it should be easy to pull everything and reprocess it.. ;)

Are you 100% sure that the cases you loaded were resized? (the ones that had no neck tension)

yes 100% like I sad one after the other, it could be not enough pressure. I will try again and see what happens.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have had this happen with military brass. I reduced the size of the expander a bit and polished it. Fixed the issue.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you are using a Lee collet die, be sure the collet isn't stuck. Disassemble the die, be sure the collet isn't stuck where it engages the rest of the die, put a little tiny bit of grease on the outside of the collet fingers and you should be good to go. Trying to size without a case can force the male/female collet section to bind up, as can some small gunk, like a small piece of brass. Also be sure you are setting it up properly and applying adequate pressure, as mentioned. It takes 20-25lbs of pressure to properly operate the die at the bottom of the stroke, the contact with the shell holder is what makes it all work....

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Shooter88 had the correct answer. I was 40% Man 60% wuss. Once neck sizing the bad rounds they were good to go. As always thanks for the reply's all.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Shooter88 had the correct answer. I was 40% Man 60% wuss. Once neck sizing the bad rounds they were good to go. As always thanks for the reply's all.
    Good deal! It does take a good bit of pressure to ensure proper sizing with a collet die. Here is good, quick vid on setup and tweaking...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I don't think wall thickness would come into play. The mouth is resized on the way out after compression.
    Sort of.. the mandrel actually compresses the case neck against the 'expander', but unlike a conventional expander, the expander in a collet die is a constant diameter the entire length, so it doesn't really oversize the neck and then expand on the way out as would a conventional die, this is why pressure is critical, to ensure you fully compress the neck against the mandrel on the bottom of the stroke.

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Glad I could help. I felt like it took significantly more pressure than what the directions said that came with the dies. For .308 at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom