• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    So first I would like to say that any help is appreciated here.

My purpose for reloading is to make the best ammunition for my rifles.

My 3006 is a 26 in er shaw barrel
    My 556 is an AR WOA wilde chamber 20 in barrel

For my 3006 I got 8 lbs of imr 4350, sierra 175gr hpbt, and cci #200.
    So my first question is what powder should I use for 77gr smk? it looks like Rl-15 and varget are the best accuracy choices but everyone is out of anything more then 1 lbs.

Second are there better choices of powder to use for 3006 I am on deployment and got everything I need from what I read on the internet.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I use IMR 3031 for 06 and have seen good results after doing load dev for precision and hunting.

For the 223, I would recommend looking at W748. H4895 would work, but Sierra says N140 is the best for the accuracy load. You have to do your own load dev for the powders and the bullets. I have done some good things with W748, but YMMV.

Keep in mind that you need to know the limitations on your powder measure with extruded powders and ball powders. Some measures will not meter extruded powders with boring regularity. Other measures will handle extruded and ball powders with boring regularity. If you are using a progressive press, you need to really keep that in mind, because a lot of progressive presses will only meter ball or flake powder with the consistency that you need for precision loading.

What press are you going to be loading on? Also what powder measure are you going to use?

EDIT:

Sierra load data for you.
    http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    I use IMR 3031 for 06 and have seen good results after doing load dev for precision and hunting.

For the 223, I would recommend looking at W748. H4895 would work, but Sierra says N140 is the best for the accuracy load. You have to do your own load dev for the powders and the bullets. I have done some good things with W748, but YMMV.

Keep in mind that you need to know the limitations on your powder measure with extruded powders and ball powders. Some measures will not meter extruded powders with boring regularity. Other measures will handle extruded and ball powders with boring regularity. If you are using a progressive press, you need to really keep that in mind, because a lot of progressive presses will only meter ball or flake powder with the consistency that you need for precision loading.

What press are you going to be loading on? Also what powder measure are you going to use?

EDIT:

Sierra load data for you.
    http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

So I bought the lee challenger kit, lee die sets, hornady trickle, and I will be using the balance scale that comes with the kit. I also got a couple other things for case prep but from what I read to get the most accurate loads you need single stage and balance scale. Is there anything I'm missing or should change?

So I bought the lyman 49th, but sense I am exclusively using sierra bullets should I also get the sierra 5th? Or is the lyman good enough for my application?

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    For 5.56 match loads I run Hornady 75 HPBT and 80 A-Max over Varget. Works better in my rifles than RL-15. YMMV

For your .30-06, what rifle?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    For 5.56 match loads I run Hornady 75 HPBT and 80 A-Max over Varget. Works better in my rifles than RL-15. YMMV

If you what them to mag feed, you can use 75gr hornady HPBT or 77gr sierra match king bullets. I had better luck with the 77gr in my white oak. I bought 500 80gr sierra match kings that I didn't load up. Was going to load those for my father to shoot fclass, and he bought a different gun.

As far as powder, I used varget....start at 23.5gr and work up. If you can't find that, Accruate 2520 (Camp Perry powder) or Ramshot Tac all have a close burn rate to Varget.

If your interested in TAC or the 80gr SMK...I might be able to help you out.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    So I bought the lee challenger kit, lee die sets, hornady trickle, and I will be using the balance scale that comes with the kit. I also got a couple other things for case prep but from what I read to get the most accurate loads you need single stage and balance scale. Is there anything I'm missing or should change?

So I bought the lyman 49th, but sense I am exclusively using sierra bullets should I also get the sierra 5th? Or is the lyman good enough for my application?
    I get excellent results with a single stage press and a balance scale.. I have a digital, but use the balance almost exclusively.

Yes, as DA said, you should get the load data for the projectiles you are loading... Sierra if that is your choice.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I have had very good results for .30-06 with IMR-4350 in winchester brass and 180 grain sierra match kings. I would give IMR 8208 XBR a try with your 77 grain .223 loads. It's worked well for me under 55 grain bullets.

MDlineman

Mar 23, 2013
    FFL (Fredneck For Life)
    I have had very good results for .30-06 with IMR-4350 in winchester brass and 180 grain sierra match kings. I would give IMR 8208 XBR a try with your 77 grain .223 loads. It's worked well for me under 55 grain bullets.

I second this. XBR has worked well for me with heavier bullets including 77gr SMKs and Hornady 75gr BTHP. It also meters amazingly well. I use CFE and 335 for plinking loads and lighter bullets.

souprcampbell

Jul 5, 2014
    Middletown
    I second this. XBR has worked well for me with heavier bullets including 77gr SMKs and Hornady 75gr BTHP. It also meters amazingly well. I use CFE and 335 for plinking loads and lighter bullets.

I will third this as well. XBR with 77gr SMKs or Hornady 75gr BTHP are incredibly accurate out of my mk12ish SPR with a WOA wylde chambered bbl. It meters great out of both Dillon and Hornady powder measures. Stable in temperature ranges as well. I will be trying it next with Nosler 64gr BSB bullets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom