• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Erwos is correct, I have found from my own reloading that bullet profile will change the Overall Cartridge Length. A round nose bullet can have a longer cartridge length than a flat nose bullet. The round nose can extend farther and not engage the rifling. Same with a spire tip rifle bullet.

A hollow point pistol round needs to be short than a round point. Load a dummy with no primer, seat bullet with no crimp and start checking seating in all guns you use it in. Adjust the bullet seater die until it works in all guns. Record the process and depth as Round points and hollow points will all need to be a different case length.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Might be slightly oversize at the base (aka "Glock Bulge".)

Sizing die doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the base. Lee sells a "bulge buster" that, in conjunction with a 9mm Makarov factory crimp die, squeezes the base back to within spec.
    Glock bulge was an issue with 40cal. I’ve never seen it in 9mm. Only seen a couple with 40cal.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I put in the wrong number. The correct length is 1.125.
    Drop it down to 1.11 or 1.10, and I bet your problem is solved. Reloading manuals often make extremely over-optimistic assumptions about throat dimensions compared to what you find in real life.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Drop it down to 1.11 or 1.10, and I bet your problem is solved. Reloading manuals often make extremely over-optimistic assumptions about throat dimensions compared to what you find in real life.

I measure a factory round and try to get as close to that as I can.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You should also plunk test in the bbl from whichever of your pistols was tightest throat .
    ^^^This

I used to gauge every one of my 9mms I reloaded. The only ones that ever failed, failed due to snags caused by extractors.

I've also had cartridges fail in a gun due to too much crimp, yet passed on a case gauge.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My Springfield 1911 has zero leade , and depending on ogive won't chamber some factory JHP .( I discovered after stocking up on it .) But the P-90 gobbles everything. The .45acp cylinder on SAA clone is In-between.

Eventually I get a throat reamer , and do all of then to be capable of handling a H&G 68 .

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Latest update. I watched several YouTube videos on the problem I was having. I tried the plunk test and the flat nose and flat nose hollow points wouldn't fit the chamber. One suggestion was to measure the case diameter. I checked several with my calipers and all of the sample I pulled were all the same as the factory loads. I bought a Hornady 9mm Gage and everything checked out with the cases. My next step was to purchase a bullet puller. I went with a Hornady cam lock and a 9mm collet. I messed up about five cases trying to get dialed in. Some of the pulled bullets would get stuck in the collet and I had to disassemble everything to get the bullets and start the process all over again. I found another YouTube video that went into more detail on the setup and after doing that I didn't as many issues except for an occasional bullet getting stuck above the tapered collet. I pulled all the loaded rounds and saved the powder. Most of the bullets still look brand new. I resized all the brass and next I'll have to expand the opening in order to reseat the bullets. Thanks for all the suggested helpful hints.

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county

Here is another source for reloading/ shooting videos that a lot of YouTube content creators post videos on since YouTube changed the policies a bit on firearm / reloading

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I reload a lot of range pick-up brass, especially in 9mm and 45 ACP. Due to varying thicknesses of different brands of brass I've been using a Lee Factory Crimp Die for years a never a failure to chamber. The LFC die taper crimps the round and also slightly resizes and uniforms the outside diameter of the case.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    After unloading all the reloaded bullets and contacting several people, I called Berry's Bullets and asked them what the Maximum OAL for their flat tip 115gn 9mm should be. They said 1.06. I reloaded the bullets at that length with 5.7 gr of Alliant Power Pistol. I loaded up 15 rounds of the Flat tips and 15 rounds of Sierra 9mm FMJ 115gr. I resized all the brass leaving the primers and expanded the cases. After some trial and error I was able to get each one to pass the plunk test. Today I went to the rang with the Sig 365X and The S&W EZ. all worked flawlessly. Next step is to complete the 9mm phase of my reloading adventure.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Did you try the sharpie trick? You can also color the case to see if it’s rubbing somewhere.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Did you try the sharpie trick? You can also color the case to see if it’s rubbing somewhere.
    Or the "lamp black" trick.

Any pics of the loaded rounds with issues?

Like some others, reload different manufacturers brass, a ton of WCC, WRA, mil brass, use CH4D taper crimp dies or MA dies, Lyman M dies for case mouth flaring, when using plated / cast bullets, EGW round checkers. When reloading different manufacturers bullets even though the weights are the same the shapes (ogives) are different, which in some cases may require the bullet to be seated deeper, plus different chamber dimensions in the barrels.

-Rock

Last edited:

Apr 15, 2022
    Woodsboro
    I am sorry but this idea is lost on me, dude, there are many great ideas/solutions to this delimma, if you had to. The 9mm round is the most prolific ammo right now. Market competition brings prices within reasonable purchase point. I would load this if is was obsolete, and don't because it is not. I am not trying to pee on your parade but perhaps there is another cartridge waiting to be loaded on your bench.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I wouldn't say totally lost on me .

I get it that some people will handload everything they shoot , because that's how they roll .

I get it that some people specifically enjoy the challenge on purpose , and seek out complicated with lots of experementation .

Have I *ever* loaded 9mm ? Sure , but primarily in the context of Revolver specific .

9mm fmj is one of the two rounds most widely available , with the greatest economy of scale and vigorous price competition . IF your requirements are met by generic bulk fmj , I just buy it , and put my time and primers to use where there is more benefit to be gained .

**** Trying to shave 0.1 off group size ? Trying to tweak pressure curves , slide velocities , at a specific PF ? Best accuracy for supressed subsonics ? Go for it .

Extreme performence ? Boutique mfg can do things with proprietary blends that I often can't match with cannister powders .

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    It's likely two things. The case needs to be sized correctly, or the bullet length needs to be shorter. Check both and correct the problem, and you should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom