• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I am just getting in to reloading and looking for good data sources for loads. I would like to get peoples thoughts on the best sources. I plan to primarily reload:
    300 Blackout Sub/Supersonic
    308/7.62
    .40 S&W

I found this website but not sure its worth $29/year https://www.loaddata.com/

Vision

Apr 10, 2011
    Havre de Grace, MD
    Each of the powder manufacturers have online published load data (for free!) I would start with those and work from there.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Loaddata (dot) is an excellent source. However it will also include a lot of advanced data for unusual ctgs and obscure powders. Ie more information than you have current need or interest.

Get at least one full sized dead tree manuak , and read the whole thing. Supplenent with the readily available data from all the major , and most minor powder makers. Likewise the data from all major , and most minor bullet mfgs.

JailHouseLiar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 26, 2013
    Timonium, Maryland
    I am just getting in to reloading and looking for good data sources for loads. I would like to get peoples thoughts on the best sources. I plan to primarily reload:
    300 Blackout Sub/Supersonic
    308/7.62
    .40 S&W

I found this website but not sure its worth $29/year https://www.loaddata.com/

I load everything above except .308

300 BLK = depends what gas system you have. Lil'Gun/H110/AA1680 for subs and pistol gas, just AA1680 if it is carbine gas. This is just for subs. I load few supers and gas system is not as important.

.223 = TAC/ meters very well

For pistol, the only thing I use is HP38/Win231 (same powder), but can use H110 on 357 as well as Lil'Gun and Power Pistol.

I use the Hodgdon link above, have a Hornady/Lyman/Lee. I'd suggest the Lyman 49th to start with if you are buing books and you should get a few.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Published manuals like the Sierra, Speer and Hodgdon.

What I like about several manuals, having both Sierra and Speer, (and 2 others), is the emphasises on certain points of the process that may be given less attention than just one manual or a web site. I believe you should "study" to pass the test. If you fail you do not get a bad grade, rather it's a loss of something, gun, eye, finger.

After all, it is (tiny) rocket science. :innocent0

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Buy some manuals. Plus the online resources from the powder companies.

The ones I keep in my collection and current:

Lyman
    Sierra
    Hornady

And I print out the appropriate calibers from Hodgdon (includes IMR and WW), Alliant, Ramshot, and Accurate.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have lyman, hornady, and speer books and I also reference the hogdon website.

It can be a bit unnerving how much load data varies from source to source.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What I like about several manuals, having both Sierra and Speer, (and 2 others), is the emphasises on certain points of the process that may be given less attention than just one manual or a web site. I believe you should "study" to pass the test. If you fail you do not get a bad grade, rather it's a loss of something, gun, eye, finger.

Or someone next to you does. That's what some people tend to forget.

After all, it is (tiny) rocket science. :innocent0

No, it's recipe, like baking a cake. at least that's what I've read from others online.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I love my lyman book but the load info is night and day compared to the hornady book. They seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to charge weights.

Yes, I understand that. There maybe differences in charge weights.
    I would always recommend starting on the minimum charge with 6 or
    8 rounds 1st. I work up at 1/2 grain intevals.

I have found 30-06 that IMR 4064 at 49.8 grains is very accurate charge with WLR primers, brass is mixed and some have reloaded 4 or more times,
    with most 150 grain bullets, speer, hornady and Nosler.
    Tho a little below stated max in books, this shot less that 1 inch at 100 yards, killed a number of deer with this load.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Hodgdon website

If you have a safety problem or concern - DO NOT EMAIL - CALL US DIRECTLY 7:00am to 5:30pm Central Monday-Thursday : 913-362-9455

Street Address:

Hodgdon Powder Company​
    6430 Vista Drive​
    Shawnee, KS 66218​

Phone:

913-362-9455​

I have called a number of times in the past. These guys are experts and I recommend new loaders have a chat with one of these professionals. Anytime.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Start low and work up. 1/2 grain may be too large of step. A 1/2 grain is not much different to an 80 grain .300 Win Mag load, but it is a HUGE difference to a 3.8 gr load of Bullseye in a pistol round.

I prefer to use 1 - 2% steps.

And maximum loads are specific to the firearm, brass, primer, powder, bullet, seating depth, even temperature. So work up to the load you need, or where you find pressure signs.

The books are used to give reasonable starting points (and yes, too light of a load may be a problem). And to compare the performance of various powders with different bullets.

As for the difference between Lyman and others, seems to be how involved the lawyers were. :)

Also remember, for some cartridges, there are some very old firearms, that will not stand up to modern load levels. Sierra even has different load data for .223 for gas guns and bolt action.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Hornady "Whisper" loads work well. 8th edition. H110 works really well with 180 grain Winchester bullets.

16 inch barrel. Carbine tube.

Perfect function with maximum load data.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Once the loads manuals are well read, Midway's Loadbooks are useful, sort of like a consortium of components. If you run across the Midway LoadMAP manuals, similar to the Loadbooks, they are worth grabbing on the used market, though not worth any exorbitant prices .

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Once the loads manuals are well read, Midway's Loadbooks are useful, sort of like a consortium of components. If you run across the Midway LoadMAP manuals, similar to the Loadbooks, they are worth grabbing on the used market, though not worth any exorbitant prices .

Yes, and pay attention to the publishing date if you buy a Loadbooks USA compilation book.

They went for a longtime on some calibers without updates. Some load data has changed since then, due to the new method of measuring pressures during testing.

I picked up one this year for 45 colt, and fortunatly it was published, 2011.

Cabelas actually has a good selection of Loadbooks usually, in the retail stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom