• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    Wifey just got me a Hornady LNL Deluxe kit with Single Stage Press for my Bday in Feb. I have been lucky enough to track down dies for .45, .38/.357, .223 and .308 along with primer, powder and some of the higher end XTP bullets for .45 and .357. I didnt really want to start with the hollow points, but sometimes you gotta go with what you got.

I have loaded some .45 and .357 with HP-38 and they worked well and were suprisingly accurate.

I have the hornady and nosler manuals. The info in the beginning is pretty basic as far as procedures and the rest is simply recipes for x-powder with x bullet. I am looking for some more detailed info.

I am wondering if there is some reading material out there that goes more in depth as far as why you do certain things, why you dont do others, the effects of either, best practices, the science behind shit, etc. etc.

What prompted this is just googling reloading .357 results in a vast amount of chatter about crimps vs powder vs bullet weight, flame cutting, flattened primers, etc.

Standard issue reading material?

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I agree Lymans is a good book. I have the lee book. it only had one chapter on handgun reloading...i go get one of those digital caliber scale, a scale, bullet puller, and case trember and separator..if you dont have one already. but i get most of my powder data from the powder company website.

Please tell me where you got some primers????please

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    Most of that came with the kit she got me... I think I lucked out a few days after she got me the kit, I just happened to check Bass Pro... I ordered Powder and Primers and had it shipped to the store for free shipping and avoided the Hazmat fee.

I will have to grab Lymans.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The ABC's of reloading is pretty good.

What this man said. ABC's does not in any way substitute for the manuals you mention, but is rather a supplement and a very good overview of reloading how's, do's, don't, and whys. It will also cause the new handloader to think about questions that they likely haven't considered yet. Starting your reloading career here is what I'd recommend to anyone who wants to learn the craft.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    In addition to the recommended books, pick up Handloader magazine, or subscribe to it. Very good publication, with useful information. It even has load data for featured reloading topics. It covers alot of different aspects of reloading, and has something for everyone in it.

The writers of that mag, work with some of the reloading companies, such as Lyman & Speer to help the develop published load data. Brian Pearce, Mike Venturino and a few others, are regular writers for that publication.

Last edited:

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I agree Lymans is a good book. I have the lee book. it only had one chapter on handgun reloading...i go get one of those digital caliber scale, a scale, bullet puller, and case trember and separator..if you dont have one already. but i get most of my powder data from the powder company website.

Please tell me where you got some primers????please

What kind you need? I have 500 small magnum pistol and 500 large magnum pistol I am looking to trade or sell at reasonable prices. By reasonable, I mean not gouging. I only paid around $37 / 1000.

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    ABC's of Reloading
    Lyman 49th
    Hornady 9th
    Nosler #7

Each has strengths and weaknesses. ABC's has good general info. Lyman has a great amount of cast bullet data, plus good general info. Hornady and Nosler are great if you use their bullets (I do). I've got the Hodgdon 2013 manual too since I mostly use their powder. I like being able to compare notes across the various sources. I also keep a few Handloader magazine issues with in-depth articles and data for the cartridges I load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom