• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    So I just picked up my first firearm in .44 WCF, a Taylor and Co. 1873 Cattleman, and I need to start reloading for it. I found a fair price for a box of 500 lead bullets that were marked for 44-40 reloads. The possible problem is, these bullets are sized .430. At the time, I was not aware of the different sized chambers and bores ranging from .427 to .430. Am I going to blow up my gun if I load these .430 bullets and shoot them, if in fact my chamber/bore is .427? Any other tips for reloading the .44-40 cartridge would be greatly appreciated too. I heard its a little more to it than the .45 colt that I'm used to. Thanks all!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I t is common practice to shoot lead bullets .001" larger than groove diameter . I wouldn't shoot .003" oversized, though. You might consider a Lee .428" bullet sizer. Then you can buy .44 caliber bullets and load them since they are more plentiful. Slugging the chamber throats and the barrel is the best way to determine what is the best diameter to size the bullets.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Slug your barrel, and size your bullets to .001 over that. If you are buying commercial cast bullets, buy them at the size you want.

I just bought a few weeks ago a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 special. I've been reloading bullets sized at .430 (cast them myself in a 240gr Lee mold) and the gun loves them. Barrel slugged at .429.

I get no leading with 5.5gr Titegroup. Made up some stout loads using H110 (15gr to 18gr) and got no leading with those either.

Bullets are TC and tumble lube design, lubed with Lee Liquid Alox in the recommended fashion. I roll crimp at the cannelure and have yet to have any issues.

Good luck with your .44!

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks for the info guys!

Now, how does one slug a barrel. I am unfamiliar with this. I assume its basically creating a casting of the inside of the barrel and use a caliper to measure it?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Push a soft lead bullet throught the barrel. Then measure across the grooves to get groove diameter. There are some "slugging kits" you can buy, but they are essentially soft lead wire .002-.003" in diameter over the caliber bore size. I haven't forced a cast bullet through a barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom