• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Best ( most thorough ) Practice is to put " keeper brass " into box/ bag/ other container as you go .

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Not damaging, but a steady diet of 38’s could leave a ring of lead/dirt in the cylinders. This ring, if not cleaned could make seating the longer 357 case difficult/impossible. Clean your cylinder well and everything will be just fine.
    That ring also makes ejecting .357 brass more difficult because the cases grab that ring. I shot so much .38 special in my S&W 686-1 that in order to fully remove the ring, I chucked a bronze brush into my drill in order to power the rings out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I was shooting 350 legend this weekend, and was only 1 of 3 people at the range. During each break I would pick up my casings. The last cycle I put down about 30 rounds, I went to pull my targets and when I got back the RO was sweeping up my casings. I was pissed.
    That sucks. Why I love me a good revolver and bolt action. The other day I was shooting 45 without my hand catcher and the guy at the other end of the range, after already seeing me clean up my brass and drop it in a brass bag, stoop down and start scooping it up.

I gave him an ugly look and an “excuse me. I am picking up my brass to reload it”.

“Oh are you?”

“Yes, so I’d like it back”.

Yeah he did give it back (I mean, yeah, like 10 casings he’d picked up). But it wasn’t like it was even at his feet. He walked 10ft over to stoop and pick it up. Like, WTF?

I very deliberately and clearly pulled out my hand brass catcher and strapped it to my hand after that.

Pretty sure it’s the same guy I see out there with his buddy a lot of mornings before the range goes hot hoovering up everything and just dumping the brass buckets in to large plastic bags. He and his buddy do not reload is my understanding.

At least whatever I am picking up from the range I reload and if it isn’t something I reload, I leave it for someone who does. I also don’t touch other guys brass unless they either dump it in a brass bucket or they make it clear they don’t want it verbally or packing up and leaving it all over the ground.

I was shooting 350 legend this weekend, and was only 1 of 3 people at the range. During each break I would pick up my casings. The last cycle I put down about 30 rounds, I went to pull my targets and when I got back the RO was sweeping up my casings. I was pissed.
    Not being able to pick up my brass is the number 1 reason I don't shoot at indoor ranges very often. While some of them will technically allow you to retrieve your brass, they call the range cold so infrequently that it's not worth my time to wait.

If I go to the indoor range I shoot steel or aluminum if allowed or more likely rimfire..

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I’m glad I’m not the only one.
    Me too. I have the same disorder. I'll go try a gun out at an indoor range and if I can't use a brass catcher of some kind, I'll stop early instead of watching the brass head off to never never land, etc.

I'm for the downloading of 357Mag data if you are reloading to begin with. But keeping the cylinders clean ought to prevent problems with feeding the longer cases.

Disclaimer:
    1. Nothing related to the Michael Jackson Ranch.
    2. I had spelled 'bras' at first and that sounded funny, but alas it was about brass.
    3. Side note, I saw the Raquel Welch Bra hanging up in the Genoa, Nevada Saloon this past Sunday. There is some lore related to that.
    4. Now I have a worse case of hankering for one of those 8 round .357s I seen lately. (Ruger and S&W have them as far as I know)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom