• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharstin

Cruffler
    Feb 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    If this is a dumb question, I truly do apologize because I am still pretty new to reloading. If you have a bullet and you know the caliber as well as the grain but you don't have any other information, what would the best was to find the proper reloading data? Example: I purchased a box of .30 caliber bullets at the Bel Air Gun Show (at an excellent price) marked 168 GR on the box with no additional information. Normally I cross reference the bullets manufacturer in the corresponding reloading manual with the Grains to determine the proper loading data but this time I do not know who the maker is.

Any information at all is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Grab your favorite reloading book look up starting loads for 168gr bullets for a starting point. From there go up in half grain increments until you see pressure signs and then back off half a grain and you have your max load for that bullet. I will add that if your 168gr bullet is of the lead free variety such as a barnes or nosler e tip reduce your start load by 10% .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    OP, there's no such thing as a stupid question with this hobby.

The very first thing you want to do is to verify what you have. Yeah, somebody wrote 30 caliber and 168 grain. What's important here is this......that somebody wasn't you. So that means you want to measure and weigh those bullets. They are PROBABLY .308 diameter. They are PROBABLY indeed 168 grain. They're definitely both when YOU say they are. Once you've made that determination, and those measurements square with what you indeed want to be loading since "30 caliber" can mean a number of bullet diameters, then check your data sources for starting loads. Load a couple of rounds of starting loads, a couple a half grain higher as mentioned above. Half a grain works here because it amounts to a small percentage of your overall charge weight, and small steps are what you want. Repeat your half grain steps until you've loaded 10 rounds. Verify that you're still well under maximum charges. Mark your box with the 5 different charge weights you now have assembled, and keep those rounds in charge weight order. Take them to the range, and beginning with your starting load, fire those rounds in order from lowest to highest charge weight. Check carefully for any signs of pressure with each graduated step in charge before proceeding to the next weight. If all is fine, your 10 round function test trial will let you know where you can start on your next session for your same rifle and component combination. Good luck!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Hornady reloading manual does just this. It groups bullets by weight and gives loading data for several bullets types in that same weight range.

2) 0.5 grains maybe too large of a step, depending on which cartridge and which powder. Increments should be in % of the max charge, no more than 1% increments (I typically use 0.75% or 0.85% increments). So with a 50.0 grain max charge, 0.5 grain steps would be OK. But if the powder and cartridge had a 30.0 grain max, 0.5 grain steps would be too large.

See OCW method - http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    1) Hornady reloading manual does just this. It groups bullets by weight and gives loading data for several bullets types in that same weight range.

2) 0.5 grains maybe too large of a step, depending on which cartridge and which powder. Increments should be in % of the max charge, no more than 1% increments (I typically use 0.75% or 0.85% increments). So with a 50.0 grain max charge, 0.5 grain steps would be OK. But if the powder and cartridge had a 30.0 grain max, 0.5 grain steps would be too large.

See OCW method - http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

Good example, and better clarified by the use of the example Pinecone notes here. Yes, increments of 1% or less with charge weight increases is indeed the goal.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    If this is a dumb question, I truly do apologize because I am still pretty new to reloading. If you have a bullet and you know the caliber as well as the grain but you don't have any other information, what would the best was to find the proper reloading data? Example: I purchased a box of .30 caliber bullets at the Bel Air Gun Show (at an excellent price) marked 168 GR on the box with no additional information. Normally I cross reference the bullets manufacturer in the corresponding reloading manual with the Grains to determine the proper loading data but this time I do not know who the maker is.

Questions for you..?

1. What rifle did you buy 30 caliber bullets for..?

2. Mic the outside Diameter of the bullet, does it measure .308 Diameter..?

3. Do these bullets have a copper jacket or are they plain lead..?

4. If the answer to 1 = a 308, 2 = .308 Diameter & 3 = Yes it has a Copper Jacket, What Powder do you intend to use = The load weights are different for all the different powders..?

5. At that point we can help you with an Overall Length & approximate Min & Max load in grains...

Kharstin

Cruffler
    Feb 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Thanks for all the great information! I am still relatively new at reloading and realize I still have a lot to learn. It would be nice if there was a computer program where you could enter the bullet information and it would calculate the load data for you!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    As a learning experience for working up a load or as a cheap source of blasting ammo, I absolutely support this.

If you are working up the go-to load for target shooting or hunting, using an unknown bullet, not so much. Since it is an unknown bullet, you can't replicate it. It's hard enough to buy the same primer or the same powder 3 years from now. For better or worse, the next 168 gr bullet you buy will shoot differently.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    OP, there's no such thing as a stupid question with this hobby.
    :thumbsup:

Ask questions, read, research online, get your hands on several different reloading manuals, etc, but certainly ask questions, even if it might seem dumb. While the basics of reloading are pretty easy, more than one gun has blown up as a result of someone not doing something right.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    :thumbsup:

Ask questions, read, research online, get your hands on several different reloading manuals, etc, but certainly ask questions, even if it might seem dumb. While the basics of reloading are pretty easy, more than one gun has blown up as a result of someone not doing something right.

Oh so true. My Nephew was reloading on his own. Overcharged .45 ACP, broke his M&P. He was okay, physically.

Attachments

• 1204142047.jpg
      1204142047.jpg
      25.4 KB · Views: 209
    • 1204142046.jpg
      1204142046.jpg
      33.1 KB · Views: 212

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Thanks for all the great information! I am still relatively new at reloading and realize I still have a lot to learn. It would be nice if there was a computer program where you could enter the bullet information and it would calculate the load data for you!

The load varies according to the Powder you buy to load with...

First you need to select the Powder...

Different Bullets & Powders require the bullet to be set to different overall lengths...

Keep in mind that you are building little bombs that will be exploding next to your Right Eye...

You really need to buy a book on reloading & read it...

I'd recommend Lyman's Reloading Handbook, I have the 49th edition...

Check out this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKcHZWCK9fE

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

5. At that point we can help you with an Overall Length

This,

All the weighing, measuring and incremental loading, while necessary, is not going to tell you where an unknown bullet's ogive is going to end up in relation to your rifle's rifling when the bolt closes.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    The load varies according to the Powder you buy to load with...

First you need to select the Powder...

Different Bullets & Powders require the bullet to be set to different overall lengths...

Keep in mind that you are building little bombs that will be exploding next to your Right Eye...

You really need to buy a book on reloading & read it...

I'd recommend Lyman's Reloading Handbook, I have the 49th edition...

Check out this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKcHZWCK9fE

I'd also suggest you pick up Lee's Metallic Reloading guide. Based on some of your comments it appears you're almost "guessing" at formulas. Almost all your questions are answered in either the Lymans or Lee manuals. I have both and constantly refer to them (I've been reloading since the mid 80's). Also, Handloads Online (http://www.handloads.com/) can help with some of your issues.

Like SgtP said, you're building little bombs that go off by your hand and face. Do not guess at anything.

Just my 2 cents.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I"ve only been reloading for about 2 years now but I can say this. If you only buy bullets that they have load data with the powder you have, you will be very restrictive in your buying. Like mentioned, I use multiple sources : Reloading manuals, Powder MFG website, Bullet mfg website, loaddata.com subscription and come up with starting loads. For me, pistol is usually pretty easy cause I pick a low starting load and rarely go above 1/2 way. Hopefully, I have a powder in my stash that does not make the charge weight so sensitive that .2 grain high is at the upper end.
    For rifle, I like the OCW method as described but it does take time. I reload so many different rifle calibers for milsurps that I tend to just start at the low end, make sure I'm measuring constantly, check the pressure signs and chronograph it maybe comparing to commercial ammo. How much time you want to spend on working up an optimal charge can depend on how much time you have to dedicate to the task. Lots of variables. I have never spent so much time to hone in on the "perfect" load yet. But I do work to make sure I'm not picking charges that are going to push things by the books and load data I find.

Sometimes, what you are reloading for may have other things you have to think or know about that is not in the book (like reloading for an M1 Garand)

OK, GIVE IT UP. What cartridge are you reloading and what rifle? :)

Kharstin

Cruffler
    Feb 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I have several reloading manuals and usually follow then to the letter for safety sake and because I still consider myself new at this. Occasionally, I have found bullets at gun shows that have no information on them other then the caliber and they are usually fairly inexpensive however load data id usually absent.

In this particular case I wish to reload .455 Webley. I purchased the brass and bullets from Buffalo but they informed me it is their policy not to supply load data unfortunately.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I have several reloading manuals and usually follow then to the letter for safety sake and because I still consider myself new at this. Occasionally, I have found bullets at gun shows that have no information on them other then the caliber and they are usually fairly inexpensive however load data id usually absent.

In this particular case I wish to reload .455 Webley. I purchased the brass and bullets from Buffalo but they informed me it is their policy not to supply load data unfortunately.

Nobody has mentioned to stay completely focused on your reloading. Don't load when sick, tired, distracted or angry..Especially true when the powder goes in the case ( NO double charges )
    Start out with a reduced load if you have doubts. 3 to 5 rounds to see how the gun performs. and work up to a recommended load first.
    Check you powder load several times, make sure scale is accurate.
    Follow any rule of common sense to check you data and gun.

Be careful when firing, check all misfires, hangfires and 'squib' is really dangerous in a revolver.

good stuff here......http://www.popguns.com/centerfire/basicclass/section2/storageandcare.htm

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Again, you can use data for the same type of bullet (cast or jacketed) and the same weight, in the same cartridge.

Just start low and work up.

As I mentioned, the Hornady manual is set up this way. They give one set of load data for say ALL 165 grain jacketed bullets in a .308 Winchester cartridge. And in many cases, they include a range, say from 165 - 168 grains, all using the same data.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Can you post a pic of the bullet and the box? That might help us in narrowing down the bullet manufacturer for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom