• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Watdahec

Flipside
    Oct 31, 2012
    Glen burnie
    A friend of mine just move to maryland and his brother is going to give him an H.scmidt/rhoen .22lr revolver made in 1969 and he ask me if he needs to do paperwork before posession. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    "Made in 1969" doesn't qualify for antique status so he'll need to transfer through an instate FFL. Better do it quick as well

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    If he has dual residency and one of them is the same state as his brother then he can transfer it in that state, if it is not Md., in accordance with that state's laws.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Huh?

Md. has little if anything to say about the transfer if it is done legally in another state - basically assault pistols currently and other stuff after 10/1.

i was under the impression if you have a md drivers license you cannot do the transfer out of state for a regulated firearm, or after oct 1 for a banned firearm/regulated one

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    i was under the impression if you have a md drivers license you cannot do the transfer out of state for a regulated firearm, or after oct 1 for a banned firearm/regulated one

You need to be able to prove residence in a state. That is usually done with a driver's license but if you have dual residency you can use any number of documents to prove residency. There is some debate on what documents are sufficient. There is more info on the ATF website as well as check with the dealer you may want to purchase through. Some of them are up on the laws and some aren't. Arm yourself first with the laws and regulations and then find a dealer who is also up to speed on how to make the transaction.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    You need to be able to prove residence in a state. That is usually done with a driver's license but if you have dual residency you can use any number of documents to prove residency. There is some debate on what documents are sufficient. There is more info on the ATF website as well as check with the dealer you may want to purchase through. Some of them are up on the laws and some aren't. Arm yourself first with the laws and regulations and then find a dealer who is also up to speed on how to make the transaction.

aaahh gotcha
    one problem I can see I would bet 1 requirement that you would have to prove is paying taxes in both states. doubt many people would opt to do this without good reason

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    aaahh gotcha
    one problem I can see I would bet 1 requirement that you would have to prove is paying taxes in both states. doubt many people would opt to do this without good reason

You don't have to pay taxes. You could rent a place that meets the definition of a residence and never pay any taxes if it is considered a second home and you didn't earn any $ while you lived there. There may be some time limits for different states for paying taxes but I'm sure that may vary by state.

If you are really serious consult an accountant or lawyer which I am NOT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom