• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If you think that's crazy...

Ask yourself what possible good the "fired shell casing" requirement could be, for revolvers.

Same gun-phobic politicians, same lack of common sense.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I sit semi-corrected.

If that makes you feel better... It's ok to be wrong.... A LOT, even... Just as long as you are not wrong at the wrong time. You only have to be right when it matters.

I'm like a stopped clock, I'm lucky to be right twice a day! :)

Mark

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    If it's not on this list below it is "cash and carry" after you pass the 4473. From the mouth of the beast:

"Maryland State Police

Assault Weapons

Maryland Public Safety Article
    § 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that firearm:

( 1 ) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine
    ( 2 ) AK-47 in all forms
    ( 3 ) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto
    ( 4 ) AR 100 type semi-auto
    ( 5 ) AR 180 type semi-auto
    ( 6 ) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto
    ( 7 ) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto
    ( 8 ) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics
    ( 9 ) Barrett light .50 cal. semi-auto
    (10) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto
    (11) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle
    (12) Calico models M-100 and M-900
    (13) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto
    (14) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines
    (15) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle
    (16) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2
    (17) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto
    (18) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber)
    (19) Feather AT-9 semi-auto
    (20) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle
    (21) FNC semi-auto type carbine
    (22) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun
    (23) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto
    (24) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto
    (25) Heckler and KOCH HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3
    (26) Holmes model 88 shotgun
    (27) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format
    (28) Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9
    (29) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine
    (30) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun
    (31) Sterling Mark 6 (32) P.A.W.S. carbine
    (33) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber)
    (34) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber)
    (35) SKS with detachable magazine
    (36) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto
    (37) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand
    (38) Street sweeper assault type shotgun
    (39) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats
    (40) Unique F11 semi-auto type
    (41) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun
    (42) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle
    (43) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto
    (44) Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine or
    (45) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry".

Direct questions to:
    Maryland State Police
    Firearms Registration Section
    7751 Washington Boulevard
    Jessup, Maryland 20794
    (410) 799-0191
    Updated 6/6/2005"

I tell you though, it really tickles me when I see shops that try to make you do paperwork on a ps90, fs2000, or the like. Heck, even now, some dealers swear that a .22 copy of an assault weapon is regulated. The Md. AG said otherwise when they were pressed, LOL. The law of the land is fickle indeed...

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    Should have added above...

"Maryland: Attorney General Gansler Issues Opinion on .22 Caliber Rifles

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Maryland’s Office of Attorney General issued a favorable opinion Monday, May 24, as what constitutes a “copy” of a so called “assault weapon.” These firearms are subject to Maryland’s “regulated firearm” law.

The issue at hand was whether .22 caliber rimfire rifles that may cosmetically resemble any firearms defined as “assault weapons” in the Annotated Code of Maryland, Public Safety Article § 5-101, should be regulated under that section as “copies” of the listed center-fire models.

According to the opinion, a copy must be similar “in its internal components and function to the designated weapon” and “cosmetic similarity to an enumerated assault weapon alone would not bring a weapon within the regulated firearms law”.

The opinion also states that the Maryland State Police will make the initial decision as to whether the gun’s internal parts make it a “copy” of an “assault weapon.”

This is a victory for Maryland’s law-abiding citizens who use these common rifles for competition, sport shooting and home defense."

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    When this law was written Colt spent lots of time doing the lobby thing..Thats why the law says "COLT HBAR" as a non regulated weapon. MSP accepts other AR15 guns with HBARs as non regulated even though the law specifiys COLT HBAR. Its as crazy as an SKS with a detachable mag is regulated and a fixed mag is not. A Ruger mini 14 with a folding stock is regulated and a straight stock is not....Cant complain too much I guess since they could have just made em all regulated!!

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    When this law was written Colt spent lots of time doing the lobby thing..Thats why the law says "COLT HBAR" as a non regulated weapon. MSP accepts other AR15 guns with HBARs as non regulated even though the law specifiys COLT HBAR. Its as crazy as an SKS with a detachable mag is regulated and a fixed mag is not. A Ruger mini 14 with a folding stock is regulated and a straight stock is not....Cant complain too much I guess since they could have just made em all regulated!!

Necrothread!
    Isn't there a letter or something explaining that they consider three barrel profile the quality that defines an HBAR? Any chance someone could link that?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Necrothread!
    Isn't there a letter or something explaining that they consider three barrel profile the quality that defines an HBAR? Any chance someone could link that?

Nope... it's all subjective. Welcome to MD, where the laws make no sense, because objective standards don't exist.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Yoshi, the answer Tootall gave is the best available. I wasn't in MD when the law was passed but it sounds like the target shooting crowd got their guns exempted at the expense of all other ARs.

EDIT, I should amend what I wrote, either the target crowd sold us out or the pro 2A legislators were able to protect one type of rifle when the bill was being worked on.

It is 100% stupid.

BTW, the paperwork is the same as if you buy a handgun. The same goes if you wnat to sell it. And you have to be 21 to own a regular AR.

The target shooters didn't "sell" anyone out. I went to Annapolis to protest the law. We had a good turnout, but not enough. I understand that you were not here when the law was passed. Problem is that not enough of those who were here thought enough of their rights to show up. A few of us simply can not carry the load for everyone. It is a stupid law that we have been stuck with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom