• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MPSC

Nov 7, 2012
    Independently I've researched steps to owning firearms in general (regulated/non-regulated), in Maryland. I came across some threads here and read through them recently.

My store of contact so far was 2A Sales & Supplies (or just 2A). I can definitely say, that I can't get answers to all my questions there since the one or two guys on the phone who work there, aren't eager to enlighten new buyers (e.g. last time I called, the rep. right away said he's busy), though MD firearm regulations can seem a little complicated to the new buyer with there several forms now.

Correct me if I'm wrong regarding the rest of the post. All the forms to own a regulated firearm in Maryland are:

ATF F 4473 Pt. I (5300.9) — Firearms Transaction Record Over-The-Counter

And then forms 77R1, 77R2 and 77R3.

I'm guessing, that none of the 77R's (besides the third) can be viewed online. I saw the ATF form (4473) above, and 77R3. Where are 77R1/2?

I simply want to see them beforehand so I can best research if I meet qualifications. Every time I read the print saying that any "lie" on the form will equal years in jail or thousands of dollars worth of fines, naturally I get frightened. I can now go to a dealer, and fill the forms out to the best of my current knowledge, though without prior prep., I can answer something incorrectly, and I've no way of telling how serious it can be.

It wouldn't be a concern to me if I had no recollection of "mental" conditions I was diagnosed with in the past. I'm in my 20's, though in my early teens, I had anorexia. Who knows what other "mental" conditions/symptoms I was considered to have at the time.

I'm not sure if this disqualifies me from regulated, considering how long ago it was (at least a decade or more) and that it was when I was approximately 12, which was before I reached bold ages like 18, and 21, etc.

I'll stop with this for now. The rest of my question is little compared to what I already wrote, though it depends on the replies.

Thanks and I apologize in advance if things like this have been answered.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Independently I've researched steps to owning firearms in general (regulated/non-regulated), in Maryland. I came across some threads here and read through them recently.

My store of contact so far was 2A Sales & Supplies (or just 2A). I can definitely say, that I can't get answers to all my questions there since the one or two guys on the phone who work there, aren't eager to enlighten new buyers (e.g. last time I called, the rep. right away said he's busy), though MD firearm regulations can seem a little complicated to the new buyer with there several forms now.

Correct me if I'm wrong regarding the rest of the post. All the forms to own a regulated firearm in Maryland are:

ATF F 4473 Pt. I (5300.9) — Firearms Transaction Record Over-The-Counter

And then forms 77R1, 77R2 and 77R3.

I'm guessing, that none of the 77R's (besides the third) can be viewed online. I saw the ATF form (4473) above, and 77R3. Where are 77R1/2?

I simply want to see them beforehand so I can best research if I meet qualifications. Every time I read the print saying that any "lie" on the form will equal years in jail or thousands of dollars worth of fines, naturally I get frightened. I can now go to a dealer, and fill the forms out to the best of my current knowledge, though without prior prep., I can answer something incorrectly, and I've no way of telling how serious it can be.

It wouldn't be a concern to me if I had no recollection of "mental" conditions I was diagnosed with in the past. I'm in my 20's, though in my early teens, I had anorexia. Who knows what other "mental" conditions/symptoms I was considered to have at the time.

I'm not sure if this disqualifies me from regulated, considering how long ago it was (at least a decade or more) and that it was when I was approximately 12, which was before I reached bold ages like 18, and 21, etc.

I'll stop with this for now. The rest of my question is little compared to what I already wrote, though it depends on the replies.

Thanks and I apologize in advance if things like this have been answered.

Wow... Is this a joke? It's not april yet! :lol2:

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Just because you dont have a "recollection of mental conditions" , that does not translate to you didnt.

Dont lie on the forms, & dont fudge the answers. MSP can and will find out.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Most times there is a waiting line of in store customers at 2A. It is always better to deal with these question face to face with any of the dealers.

Unless you have committed a felony, are the subject of a protection order, a drunkard or pill popper, or been locked up for more than 30 days for mental disorder then you should be good to go. The paper work is nothing to be scared of as long as you answer the questions truthfully.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I have to be honest, I would consider any potential buyer who used the "I can't remember," crutch to be a prohibited person.

As was mentioned, that just sets of all sorts of alarm bells, and my license isn't worth any one deal.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    The mental health disqualification only applies if you were locked up in a mental hospital for 30 days or more involuntarily. I assume that whatever issues you had with anorexia didn't result in that. You should be good-to-go on that front.

Gladius

Plinker
    May 21, 2012
    Silver Spring
    The guys @ 2A have been the coolest, and most forgiving of newbie mistakes that I have ever seen.

Yes, they can be too busy to answer questions, especially over the phone. I would not hold that against them, for only the most wanted are busy.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    MPSC: I note that your post is your very first. I take the contents and questions to be genuine at first blush. Also, This forum has it folks who would not know Courtesy if it smacked them in their hind parts. Some comments were simply disingenuous.

As to any possible previous mental conditions during your battle with anorexia, it is understandable that you may not know of them due to your age at the time of diagnosis of anorexia. But you do have an avenue to find out. At the age of majority, your personal medical records are available to you. You need to do research to see if there is anything in your Health files relating to mental health in addition to anorexia. Check you family doctor(s) and get answers.

And by the way, most people here also do not NEED a gun, they simply have an interest, as apparently you do. Those who NEED them know who they are.......

Over the last 50 years I have been confronted with folks fighting mental health conditions, some very severe, some in my own Family tree.. Those conditions are not a joke, by any means, and while I am not a "Political Correctness" geek, I have learned long ago that "looney bin" is hurtful to those who are living, or lived through the nightmare of Institutional confinement.

Finally, you need to have thick skin to roam through the threads on this Forum, unfortunately. Some give no quarter; so ignore their Stupidity, and/or have pity on their Ignorance.

Good Luck in your search.

R

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Hidey Ho from SMIBville. As has been stated as long as you have not been involuntarily commited or adjudcated mentally unfit you should be fine. Now settle in with some sweet lemonade (official beverage) and enjoy the show.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    MPSC: I note that your post is your very first. I take the contents and questions to be genuine at first blush. Also, This forum has it folks who would not know Courtesy if it smacked them in their hind parts. Some comments were simply disingenuous.

As to any possible previous mental conditions during your battle with anorexia, it is understandable that you may not know of them due to your age at the time of diagnosis of anorexia. But you do have an avenue to find out. At the age of majority, your personal medical records are available to you. You need to do research to see if there is anything in your Health files relating to mental health in addition to anorexia. Check you family doctor(s) and get answers.

And by the way, most people here also do not NEED a gun, they simply have an interest, as apparently you do. Those who NEED them know who they are.......

Over the last 50 years I have been confronted with folks fighting mental health conditions, some very severe, some in my own Family tree.. Those conditions are not a joke, by any means, and while I am not a "Political Correctness" geek, I have learned long ago that "looney bin" is hurtful to those who are living, or lived through the nightmare of Institutional confinement.

Finally, you need to have thick skin to roam through the threads on this Forum, unfortunately. Some give no quarter; so ignore their Stupidity, and/or have pity on their Ignorance.

Good Luck in your search.

R

Maybe people are getting defensive because 2-A is a great store. I have bought a lot of items from there and have never had a problem... This is election time. Probably the biggest election to date on the fact that they are going after our 2nd right. He is lucky to have gotten into a store in the first place. Stores are going nuts as you see. It is common sense!!! Now for the smart ass comments. Yes, I gave one. 2-A is one of my favorite stores and I will always stick up for them!

2Asales&Supplies

, , Up In Arms Since 2009
    Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    I have to be honest, I would consider any potential buyer who used the "I can't remember," crutch to be a prohibited person.

As was mentioned, that just sets of all sorts of alarm bells, and my license isn't worth any one deal.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    From MPSC:
    "It wouldn't be a concern to me if I had no recollection of "mental" conditions I was diagnosed with in the past. I'm in my 20's, though in my early teens, I had anorexia. Who knows what other "mental" conditions/symptoms I was considered to have at the time."

Originally Posted by A1Uniform View Post

I do not read MPSC as using a "I can't Remember" at all.

What I read is "I remember anorexia (and who wouldn't) But have no idea of what else is in my records" (Paraphrasing).....The guy did NOT say he can't remember......

He said he doesn't know...........guy needs some slack.....Remember "innocent until proven guilty"....???? I hope he can produce a "No Mental Illness" paper after his research...

R

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    From MPSC:
    "It wouldn't be a concern to me if I had no recollection of "mental" conditions I was diagnosed with in the past. I'm in my 20's, though in my early teens, I had anorexia. Who knows what other "mental" conditions/symptoms I was considered to have at the time."

Originally Posted by A1Uniform View Post

I do not read MPSC as using a "I can't Remember" at all.

What I read is "I remember anorexia (and who wouldn't) But have no idea of what else is in my records" (Paraphrasing).....The guy did NOT say he can't remember......

He said he doesn't know...........guy needs some slack.....Remember "innocent until proven guilty"....???? I hope he can produce a "No Mental Illness" paper after his research...

R

He should remember if he was in a hospital for 30 days?

Thanks
    Robert

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    But if you haven't done the paper work before you wouldn't know that is in the question.

So why not walk in and look about.

You call at one of the busiest times of year (election and holidays) and want to ask random off the wall questions. I wouldnt answer them over the phone either as it sounds like a waste of time.

If you are interested in a gun...go to the shop and look around and ask questions.

If you were in a gun shop and someone called stating they arent sure if he was disqualified under the mental health rule would you take the call? I wouldnt. In person is different.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Most times there is a waiting line of in store customers at 2A. It is always better to deal with these question face to face with any of the dealers.

So why not walk in and look about.

You call at one of the busiest times of year (election and holidays) and want to ask random off the wall questions. I wouldnt answer them over the phone either as it sounds like a waste of time.

If you are interested in a gun...go to the shop and look around and ask questions.

If you were in a gun shop and someone called stating they arent sure if he was disqualified under the mental health rule would you take the call? I wouldnt. In person is different.

As I stated in an earlier post. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom