• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mtwoodson

May 7, 2011
    Western Eastern Shore
    Only been here a couple of years and didn't pay much attention till lately. When did the whole "Regulated Firearm" process happen? Just wondering if it was 5, 10, 15 years or how long ago. Thanks

NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    A buddy of mine has a S&W pistol he bought before being "regulated." That was 15 years ago. Couldn't say for sure when that changed, but the earliest I remember them being regulated was 10+ years ago, so that narrows it down to 10-15 years

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Only been here a couple of years and didn't pay much attention till lately. When did the whole "Regulated Firearm" process happen? Just wondering if it was 5, 10, 15 years or how long ago. Thanks

I know it happened post 1987 as I moved to Maryland in 1987 and the law was passed after I moved to the state.

Thanks
    Robert

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pistols were handed as regulated since 1966.

In 1972, the G&S requirement for concealed carry was enacted.

Restrictions to certain firearms (basically regulated firearms) were first put into affect in 1989, and the paperwork/waiting period came into being on some long guns..

"Assault pistols" were banned Aug 1, 1994.

Magazines over 20 rounds were also banned in 1994.

Regulated firearms (using that term) came into being in 1996. Along with 1 gun a month.

Oct 1, 1996 was was when it was required on person to person transfers of regulated firearms.

Jan 1, 2002, firearms safety training became mandatory for transfer of a regulated firearm.

Was that the same year the "cooling off period" started?

Not a cooling off period - a period of time in which MSP could handle the background check by snail mail. I have the original paperwork on a Smith bought in MD in 1967, the questionnaire is much like the current 77R, clearly states the 7-day requirement. I'm amazed they could do it then with no faxes, no computers, no nothing. Of course, back then the Balto and DC metro areas had two mail deliveries per day, too.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Anyone want an interesting read about how tough it was to pass gun control bills here only 20 years ago?
    They had to water it down quite a bit to pass it. The state has changed a lot over the past 25 years.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/19...iautomatic-pistols-assault-pistols-pistol-ban

Many, many names of those who voted are still in the legislature.

Of note: Joe Vallario voted against the '94 ban while someone like Alan Kittleman voted for it.

Chesty

Apr 6, 2012
    Maryland
    To register or not or the need to?

Hello everyone. Quick question on the voluntary registration thing. I've owned a now, regulated firearm long prior to Oct 1; Do I need to register it? and If I don't voluntarily register said firearm, am I breaking the law when transporting it to/from range, other states. What's the bottom line? Anyone with some definitive info would be greatly appreciated!

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Anyone want an interesting read about how tough it was to pass gun control bills here only 20 years ago?
    They had to water it down quite a bit to pass it. The state has changed a lot over the past 25 years.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/19...iautomatic-pistols-assault-pistols-pistol-ban

Many, many names of those who voted are still in the legislature.

Of note: Joe Vallario voted against the '94 ban while someone like Alan Kittleman voted for it.

Mr. DeMarco said the bill would help avert mass public slayings but cautioned citizens not to expect too much.

The measure will "prevent terrorist attacks . . . in school yards," he said. "The day-to-day shootings must be dealt with by comprehensive handgun licensing and a civil liability scheme, which we will get enacted next year."

So DeMarco thinks this new law will work any better? Of course, because this time it's just commom sense. :sad20:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hello everyone. Quick question on the voluntary registration thing. I've owned a now, regulated firearm long prior to Oct 1; Do I need to register it? and If I don't voluntarily register said firearm, am I breaking the law when transporting it to/from range, other states. What's the bottom line? Anyone with some definitive info would be greatly appreciated!

That's a good question. I'd be interested in finding out. I had thought that registration of say a handgun after Oct. 1 was mandatory.

No, you are not required to register any previously legally owned guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom