• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    Can anybody explain the difference between the two?

And here's the example i'm having a hard time following.

Lets say I buy a non HBAR Colt AR-15 this week, Its a regulated purchase so there is a record of the purchase.

Isn't it therefore registered? or am I missing something? Or is registration just a hope that all who bought something they now don't like will tell them?

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Yes, it is registered with the Maryland State Police. All regulated firearms are logged into a registry they maintain. Cash-and-carry purchases (HBAR AR, non-regulated long guns) are not.

Matt

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Thats how I understand it, so why the call for them to be registered again under the new laws? ( if any of them pass )

To catch the ones that aren't registered and to trap those that don't. What else could it be?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Can anybody explain the difference between the two?

And here's the example i'm having a hard time following.

Lets say I buy a non HBAR Colt AR-15 this week, Its a regulated purchase so there is a record of the purchase.

Isn't it therefore registered? or am I missing something? Or is registration just a hope that all who bought something they now don't like will tell them?

depends.. how did you buy the ar-15? regulated form or the 4473 (quick background check and walk with it).

anything regulated by the state (rifles, shotguns and handguns) are "voluntary" registered when you fill out the md77r(?) applications along witht the 4473. tell you the truth.. the msp will have the records for those already.

as per the proposed law.. if you do have an hbar ar15.. it will need to be registered.. along with any other semiautomatic rifles you added grips, adj. stock etc.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    New Law Registration (If Passed)

Personally, I have no idea about the "New Registration" process.

BUT......It is my opinion if the State can squeeze more money by forcing "New Registration" of those who submitted the 77R as a "Voluntary" registration (yea, right), they will do so at the drop of a hat...and it won't be $10.00 either..

Just my opinion..
    R

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Yes, it is registered with the Maryland State Police. All regulated firearms are logged into a registry they maintain. Cash-and-carry purchases (HBAR AR, non-regulated long guns) are not.

Matt

+1, if you had to wait 7 days for it, it is regulated and registered, this is how I understand it. The bill mandates "registration" for possession and would mostly apply for people who moved to Maryland with out of state purchases - (this would apply to all MD regulated firearms - all hand guns and semi auto carbines with "evil" cosmetic features).

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    Several years ago there was some in-depth discussion about the important and non-trivial differences between what we have now and actual registration.

Some of the differences are that you are not currently required by law to report a stolen / lost / destroyed gun. Or if you move out of state you could sell a gun ftf, or buy some other gun then move back to MD. You could make your own gun eg. machining your own AR lower. None of those events would be reflected in the MD database.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    Thanks everyone for replying, What I was really trying to figure out was what is behind the call for registration mentioned in the new bills, If everything they want to ban is currently regulated then they have the registration, unless the firearms on the new bills are not all currently regulated.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Thanks everyone for replying, What I was really trying to figure out was what is behind the call for registration mentioned in the new bills, If everything they want to ban is currently regulated then they have the registration, unless the firearms on the new bills are not all currently regulated.

The call for more registration is to expand the list of arms in the registry. For later regulation at the next tragedy to expand it further and so on so as to have a handy list to get them "collected", Turner-style later on.

As others pointed out, there are lots of guns that are regulated here but were owned out-of-state before their owners moved to MD. The MSP has a "voluntary" registration program for these guns but I know no one who would ever submit.

Matt

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

The point of the new registration requirement is to be able to punish those who don't register with a crime and up to a 3 year Jail time. That imposes a federal disability on firearm possession under 18 usc 922(g). You lose all your firearms for life. Plus, if you don't turn in your guns, its a federal felony. It is a trap for the unwary. Beware.

Anyone who registers something they formally purchased as a cash and carry gun (no 77R) may well be in compliance with the new law, but you're just setting yourself up to have it confiscated when the next law bans possession. That is the only purpose of registration - to make later confiscation possible.

You need to decide for yourself if compliance with the law now is worth what it will mean later.

Because the reality is, if you stay in MD, either way, you are going to lose your guns one way or another. The state will ban them and seize them later, or they will make you a criminally prohibited person if you don't comply and are caught. But either way, the result is the same. You lose your guns.

If you comply and register, you maybe buy yourself a couple years until confiscation becomes law. If you don't, you fly under the radar until/if you're caught, then lose them anyway.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    MPICKERING has it right. The proposed law changes are an attempt to capture ownership info on people who moved to Maryland with the kinds of firearms that Maryland residents have to "register" when they buy them.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    There is also the money aspect too. These days with registration comes a fee. Think of it like you think of what it costs to keep your vehicle registration in compliance, and you'll likely be looking at similar fees.

It's a win/win for the state. They crack down on gun ownership making it much harder for people like us to maintain existence as gun owners, and they make a lot of money on those who will peaceably comply.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    While defacto registration of regulated items is already happening here, it's not the same as registration. The later is a legal requirement that you reveal to the state what you own, along with penalties if you do not. Some of us own stuff from before the original ban, have moved into the state with firearms, or have items that aren't on the regulated list but would be considered "assault weapons" under newly proposed laws. The MSP doesn't know about these items because we aren't required to register them.

Aside from the legal implications of the state requiring me to give up information about private property and pay what amount to fines on what I already own...

...the biggest issue touched on already is that registration is a precursor to confiscation. Look at what California is now trying to do; they promised years ago that you could keep your "assault weapons" if you voluntarily registered them with the state. They assured everyone they weren't coming to take them, just like Maryland's politicians are today. And yet here they are, a couple decades later, pushing hard to get a confiscation law passed on these previously grandfathered items. The same thing will happen here if we let registration laws pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom