• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maddogthegreatest

Nov 19, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I hate to register my old AR15, but I do not want to loose my job either.
    - I need to feed my two kids for next 10 years or so...:sad20:

Anyway, I purchased a stripped pre-ban (pre 94) AR15 lower way back in 94 while I lived in Texas and built myself A2.
    (Moved with my job from Silver spring to Texas - BRAC93).

I moved back in Maryland late 96 and didn't know about all regulated firearms need to registered (purely voluntary base anyway) until I joined MD shooters last November...

I do not have any receipt to show when and where I purchased this.
    (It has been almost 20 years ...)

What is procedure to register my old AR15?
    Do I need to provide any receipt on this purchase??

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You are not required to register it. It is perfectly legal. You don't have to do anything.

The "voluntary registration" is there if you decide you want your gun in the state database. That's all.

If the authorities ever trace the serial number on your lower, they will learn that you purchased it legally in Texas.

Answering a similar question:

You are not required to "register" anything except true machine guns.
    You may "voluntarily register" handguns if you want to, but it's not required by any means.

I think any handgun you bought from a dealer in Maryland back in the 80s will already be "registered", which simply means the state has a record of the sale in their database. If you bought it face-to-face before (Oct. 1, 1996?), or if you brought it with you when you moved here from another state, you are not required to do anything.

Don't worry about it.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    plus if it is an A2, and happens to have a heavy barrel, with no flute cut on it, it is UNREGULATED

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Wait, if you don't have to register it how can they prove that you had it before the ban? I could just get someone in another state to buy a lower and then sell me that lower in another state (Since the universal background checks bill just failed in the Senate) and then transfer it here. Since it was never registered I could just say I bought it at a gun show years ago. How is this law in any way enforceable?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wait, if you don't have to register it how can they prove that you had it before the ban? I could just get someone in another state to buy a lower and then sell me that lower in another state (Since the universal background checks bill just failed in the Senate) and then transfer it here. Since it was never registered I could just say I bought it at a gun show years ago. How is this law in any way enforceable?

More than likely the serial number and the manufacturer.

Example: You have a Colt lower, You do not have a receipt for it. MSP or other LE could contact the manufacturer (Colt) and ask for the manufacture date (month/year) of the lower.

As for purchasing in another state, before October 1, good luck finding anyone wanting to sell you one that wants to break the law, as they are currently considered a registered item. After October 1, per the law, you would be prevented from purchasing a lower (unless perhaps stamped HBAR).

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    They can trace the serial number from the manufacturer to the distributor, to the retail dealer, to the original purchaser surprisingly quickly.

Tree Rat

Always a good target
    May 20, 2005
    Here is another scenario........someone buys 2 complete lowers in Va. on a 4473 with instant NICS as one can do in Va. and brings them back to Maryland.

What is the action required for these before 01 October?

TR

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Transferring it here requires MSP background check, thus, it's registered.

Here is another scenario........someone buys 2 complete lowers in Va. on a 4473 with instant NICS as one can do in Va. and brings them back to Maryland.

TR
    Md resident can't do that in Virginia.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Registration makes confiscation possible. No responsible freedom loving American gun owner should ever voluntarily register their guns IMO although sometimes it sure can be hard to avoid.

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City

TR

If the person is a Maryland resident, He or she will most likely be going to jail, unless the transfer is handled through a Maryland FFL. Good luck finding a VA dealer that will cooperate nowadays

Tree Rat

Always a good target
    May 20, 2005
    Really? What's the difference between buying magazines over 20 rounds in Va. and doing a 4473 transfer on an AR15 if both are legal in that state?

TR

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

TR

TR - most VA dealers are aware that lowers that are not a complete gun are regulated in MD and won't sell them to a MD resident

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Really? What's the difference between buying magazines over 20 rounds in Va. and doing a 4473 transfer on an AR15 if both are legal in that state?

TR

30 round magazine is an accessory and not subject to 4473, AR lower is a firearm by definition of ATF, and considered a regulated item in MD and thus a transferable item just like a handgun.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008

TR
    A complete lower is regulated here. Must be transferred thru a Md ffl. It is not an Hbar. Just take our word for it.

Tree Rat

Always a good target
    May 20, 2005
    Just take our word for it.

Because it's the internet.......:lol2 Seriously.......There are transactions that have occurred in this manner. Is this something that a voluntary registration might correct before 01 October for those items?

TR

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I have a question Not trying to steal the thread but lets say I send a regulated firearm out of state for work and It come back after OCT 1 Am I breaking the law?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom