• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I should know this , but please refresh me .

I have a pistol that needs to return to the mfg. All the work is covered under the Lifetime Warranty, but I need to cover the shipping.

Get a label from Mfg and ship openly ?

Have my FFL buddy ship FFL to FFL ? If do this , would that require a 77R to pick back up , or does this fall under the gunsmith exception ?

Ship some misc machine tools ?

( FWIW - Adult son is home during the day , so if an Adult Signature if needed isn't an issue .)

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Beretta sent me a return package label to send back a pistol. I packed it. Attached label .

they returned it to me, directly. When complete.

warranty work. No charge. Not sure how others do it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Was that a "paid by Beretta " label ?

Is their such a thing as a label "from " a mfg , but you pay ?

Maybe it is different for original purchaser within a certain time period , but as a subsequent owner , all work is free under Lifetime Warranty, but owner pays shipping, at least on the way in .

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I can only speak regarding Sig. If you have any work done that you have to pay shipping, Sig provides a label and pays the shipper. You, then, pay Sig. So, as far as payment to shipper, everything is done by Sig.

Sig provides a FedEx label and you package it yourself, affix label, and drop off at a FedEx facility like any other package. Sig has it shipped back to your residence with adult signature required.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    I have my FFL ship everything for me, and also have it returned there. It's just not worth the potential problems with attempting to ship it yourself. Of course, he is a friend and does it at cost and I do things for him in return. But I would still rather pay an FFL dealer and have some peace of mind. Most of the shipping company personnel don't even know their own policies and regulations, and they are changing. FedEx only accepts FFL firearm shipments which is a fairly recent change.

It was a long time ago, but I had a Dan Wesson that needed warranty repair. They provided a shipping label, but I still handed it to my FFL and let him ship it. Dan Wesson returned it directly to my home.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    If youre asking me. I was not original purchaser. It’s been like 10 years ago. Iirc they sent me an email with the label. (it may have been a link. Or attachment, it’s been a long time).

There was no charge to me. For anything. Iirc it was maybe 3 weeks. And returned. Iirc it was fedex.

pickup and deliver to office. Attn me. There is always someone there to take in packages. Didn’t want something left / delivered at house with no one home.

Was that a "paid by Beretta " label ?

Is their such a thing as a label "from " a mfg , but you pay ?

Maybe it is different for original purchaser within a certain time period , but as a subsequent owner , all work is free under Lifetime Warranty, but owner pays shipping, at least on the way in .

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    That sounds like my beretta experience. Except warranty work, no charge. All else the same from my best recollection. FedEx picked up at my office. They pick up / drop off often…

I can only speak regarding Sig. If you have any work done that you have to pay shipping, Sig provides a label and pays the shipper. You, then, pay Sig. So, as far as payment to shipper, everything is done by Sig.

Sig provides a FedEx label and you package it yourself, affix label, and drop off at a FedEx facility like any other package. Sig has it shipped back to your residence with adult signature required.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cool .

But since paid by them inbound shipping isn't a thing , is a label from then only possible on their account , is there a way for me to pay to use their label to simplify overt shipping ?

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County

Hi Blake

The information provided by Phoenix_1295 is exactly what I had to do. I also had the same experience with a Staccato handgun. I called the manufacturer's customer service in each case and they E-mailed me a prepaid FedEx return label along with a note to put inside the FedEx package to let the person at the receiving end know what service had to be done on the handgun. Then I took it to a standalone FedEx facility (Kinko's apparently will not accept packages containing firearms), put the box containing the firearm in a FedEx labeled box, affixed the prepaid label on it, and off it went. I prefer to package the firearm at home in a non-descript cardboard container (I have several Amazon boxes lying around) so that the person at the FedEx counter does not know what is in the box. Or one could get a FedEx box and package the firearm directly in it at home too before taking it to the FedEx office.

After the manufacturer finishes the warranty work, they will return the firearm directly to the address you provided to them when you started the process. My recollection is that the return package required a signature from me when it was delivered to my home.

There is no need for an FFL to get involved. Easy peasy!

Cal68 (Penn)

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Cool .

But since paid by them inbound shipping isn't a thing , is a label from then only possible on their account , is there a way for me to pay to use their label to simplify overt shipping ?
    I am not quite sure I understand your question. But when you call the customer service line and tell them what you want them to do on the firearm, they will tell you if it is covered under warranty or not. That will determine if they will charge you for the prepaid FedEx label or not. But in either case, I believe they will want you to use the FedEx label they send you and not use one of your own. I hope that this answers your question.

Cal68 (Penn)

WSlagle

Mar 5, 2012
    Rock Hall
    I should know this , but please refresh me .

I have a pistol that needs to return to the mfg. All the work is covered under the Lifetime Warranty, but I need to cover the shipping.

Get a label from Mfg and ship openly ?

Have my FFL buddy ship FFL to FFL ? If do this , would that require a 77R to pick back up , or does this fall under the gunsmith exception ?

Ship some misc machine tools ?

( FWIW - Adult son is home during the day , so if an Adult Signature if needed isn't an issue .)
    First step is to reach out to customer service. If they don't offer the label, ask for one. If they decline to offer one then that's a small price to pay for free warranty work in my opinion.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I initially sent an email back on Saturday. The reply email said the repairs and upgrades would all be free , but shipping was on me .

I was checking the options here , before getting back in contact . Which I would do any way if only to get a work order number to enclose with the gun . Maybe with that conversation, shipping labels or not be discussed.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I just sent a new Ruger Mk IV back to them for work because the gun was malfunctioning. They gave me 2 options: 1) Take the gun back to where I purchased it from and that person would package and ship it for me, at Ruger's expense. When the pistol was done, they would ship it back to the dealer for me to pick up. 2) Ship it myself to them and have it shipped back to my house. Again, Ruger pays both ways.

With Option 1 I didn't have to be at home to sign for the package, the dealer would take care of all that. I took Option 2 and it all worked out just fine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cool ! But moot in my case .

Mfg isn't paying ( at least for shipping TO ) . Trying to figure my options on my own dime .

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    You will need to discuss shipping with the mfg, ask if they will supply the label and charge you. If not, you will have to ship through a local dealer or one of the new third-party firearms shippers like shipmygun.com who will supply the label for a fee and then you will take the box to the shipping party. I would also ask if they are charging shipping back to you and whether that shipment will be direct to your door.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    When I sent my Staccato back to the manufacturer, it was for them to make a modification to the handgun and this was not covered under warranty. Staccato charged me for shipping and sent me the FedEx label by E-Mail. I just printed it out and stuck it on the package.

In the case of Sig Sauer, I sent them my P320 for the trigger related recall job and since this work was covered under warranty, I did not have to pay for the FedEx label which they also sent to me by E-Mail.

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom